PDA

View Full Version : 75% of my downloads fail using giganews + mimo client

markourn
04-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Maybe I'm doing something wrong here or maybe the majority of files I'm downloading are over 300 days but more then not, my downloads fail. When I say my downloads fail I mean they get stuck at a percentage.. for example.

I will have multiple downloads stuck 33% or 49% in pending status, I can let them runs for days and they never make any progress. In my mimo client I have unpackage rar files after downloading and verify files after downloading enabled. I really like usenet but I'm finding it easier to use torrents. I waste more time trying to re-download stuff then anything else. Does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong here?

I can't think this is the norm because if it is, I'm going back to torrents. :dry:

tesco
04-23-2011, 11:12 PM
If your client is getting stuck at a certain percentage downloading files and not responding, it's the client.
I've never heard of that problem before and never had it myself, I use newsleecher.

Don't give up on usenet.

KFlint
04-24-2011, 01:13 AM
I use nzbmatrix and sabnzbd (you can configure them so that they interact directly with each other, works with many other nzb sites too) and it really CAN'T be any easier than that. I also didn't have an incomplete download in months. I don't know about your client, maybe it's the problem, certainly not giganews.

markourn
04-24-2011, 03:17 AM
Ok it was the mimo client, I made the switch over to sabnzbd. I still get some unpacking errors such as

unpacking failed, crc error and unpacking failed, cant find a specific file but at-least the downloads don't stop..

Hypatia
04-24-2011, 07:38 AM
get astraweb (http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html) instead of giganews as well
instead of $35/month you will be paying $11/month for better service in terms of completion

KFlint
04-24-2011, 11:53 AM
I also like astraweb, it's really reliable nowadays.

heiska
04-24-2011, 11:57 AM
get astraweb (http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html) instead of giganews as well
instead of $35/month you will be paying $11/month for better service in terms of completion

Man I wonder how much kleverig.nl has made with that affiliate link :p

Hypatia
04-24-2011, 03:28 PM
I also like astraweb, it's really reliable nowadays.

There are still minor glitches when uploading from time to time resulting in screwed up articles sometimes(mostly in the evening(GMT).

But it is stil much better in terms of completion compared to giganews\highwinds

Man I wonder how much kleverig.nl has made with that affiliate link :p
lol

mfalaura
04-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Newshosting is also a good provider. $8.33/mo for unlimited speed and downloads...(ssl encryption ...) So you have choice for downloading on newsgroups. You can compare usenet offers on this comparison engine: http://best-newsgroup-provider.com (I hope it will help Markourn!)

mjmacky
04-29-2011, 11:19 AM
I use nzbmatrix and sabnzbd (you can configure them so that they interact directly with each other, works with many other nzb sites too) and it really CAN'T be any easier than that.

Don't you have to pay extra to use nzbmatrix's API for interaction with sabnzbd?

heiska
04-29-2011, 06:31 PM
I use nzbmatrix and sabnzbd (you can configure them so that they interact directly with each other, works with many other nzb sites too) and it really CAN'T be any easier than that.

Don't you have to pay extra to use nzbmatrix's API for interaction with sabnzbd?

Nah, just the permanent VIP thingy.

mjmacky
04-29-2011, 07:06 PM

Then I've misread something, either way I couldn't seem to get an API key to use with sabnzbd... I'll have to investigate

MultiForce
04-30-2011, 05:52 PM

Then I've misread something, either way I couldn't seem to get an API key to use with sabnzbd... I'll have to investigate

It's on the right after you click "Your Account".

I'm just saying it since I looked for 15 minutes before I saw it :P

fileshatra
04-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Today the best services are:

UsenetServer

Astraweb

Newshosting

In my opinion the best is "Newshosting".

The best search engine (for me) is Newzbin.com

zot
05-01-2011, 04:41 AM
It always seems that the news clients that are provided free with a subscription to a pay-provider are often sub-par software. News Rover, probably the most widespread "free with paid subscription" newsreader, has its shortcomings. Ultraleecher (which was once a common 'free' client attached to several NSPs, before the project went dormant) was never as stable as Newsleecher, which it copied. And of course Mimo. Giganews used to offer a free/reduced-price version of Newsbin, which is a top-notch client, before dumping Newsbin for Mimo - a big step down, IMO.

Today the best services are:

UsenetServer

Astraweb

Newshosting

In my opinion the best is "Newshosting".

The best search engine (for me) is Newzbin.com

Usenetserver and Newshosting are both owned by the same company - Highwinds - and both brands (evidently) have identical retention and completion.

Highwinds suffers from chronic completion problems - it seems that virtually every multi-part file in the 500-800 day retention range has numerous missing segments. Just yesterday I downloaded a file (493 days) that was one par block short of being able to recover, and I had to resort to a (non-Highwinds) backup account to patch it. (and forget about trying to download MP3s and other files posted without pars)

Considering that Astraweb and Readnews resellers like Ngroups and usenetnow cost nearly the same price but currently offer much better completion (and are not decimated by routine takedowns) I don't know why anyone would recommend Highwinds over those providers. Unless perhaps it's someone with an ultra-fast connection who can't get full bandwidth on anything but Highwinds. (which I can't test for, as sadly I'm not one of them)

The day that Highwinds fixes its piss-poor completion, I will gladly put Usenetserver and Newshosting back to the top of my 'recommended' list. People who got the one-year plan from UNS or NH (and therefore can't switch) may have a hard time without a block account fill-server setup.

I'm not a Highwinds "hater" - I'm just annoyed that it takes them so long to fix anything.

Hypatia
05-01-2011, 07:43 AM
the best is "Newshosting".

That is really..lets just say questionable, im sorry =)

giganews and all highwinds resellers wage war against usenet based on dmca take down requests against certain categories.(console, pc games, HBO tv shows , mainstream movies and who knows what comes next.)
Astraweb doesnt have this problem AT THE MOMENT

as for readnews
Did the fix their extremely slow speed on old articles? I remember getting only ~1Mb out of 6MB i had on new ones

As for the best search engine.

i would use Mysterbin(a MUST HAVE!) + if i cant find something there double check it via binsearch=maybe specific sites like abhdtv or nzbmatrix

mjmacky
05-01-2011, 11:01 AM

It's on the right after you click "Your Account".

I'm just saying it since I looked for 15 minutes before I saw it :P

Right I understand now, the API key is not just there, you MUST be a VIP member, which is 7.5 (forgot pounds or euros) for a 10 year VIP subscription. Therefore, not free, you do have to make some sort of payment. It seems kind of ridiculous to pay a dime (pence?) for something that can be done almost as easily for free and a little brain power.

Hypatia
05-01-2011, 12:20 PM
for a 10 year VIP subscription
where did u get that?
when i got myself VIP status for ~10 bucks there was nothign about time limit on VIP status
besides without VIP there is little to do on nzbmatrix anyways with or without API

mjmacky
05-01-2011, 12:38 PM
for a 10 year VIP subscription
where did u get that?
when i got myself VIP status for ~10 bucks there was nothign about time limit on VIP status
besides without VIP there is little to do on nzbmatrix anyways with or without API

Yeah I can tell there's nothing to do... anyways information was directly from the site domainsite/subscription.php
since you can only view it while logged in, I'll quote it below

To access all the features of NZBMatrix.com you are required to have a VIP account subscription.

How Much Is A VIP Account?
A VIP Account Subscription is a minimum of £7.00 GBP (British Pounds), this is approximately $11.70 USD (US Dollars). At the current exchange rate of: 1 GBP = 1.6708 USD

The subscription lasts for 10 years, there are no monthly costs. Unfortunately we do not offer partial VIP subscriptions or subscriptions for any other time period. We also now charge all subscriptions in our local currency (GBP) this is due to fluctuations in the exchange rate, and the fact that our bills are charged in GBP. The above exchange rate is an approximation and will differ slightly.

Hypatia
05-01-2011, 02:04 PM
oh i see.. i wouldnt mind paying such a small fee IF they didnt take down stuff at DMCA requests.
and IF they had more content that is different from scene stuff

i mean.. yeah sure.. i can pay but i want to get A+ service.

so when my subscription is expired im not gonna renew it

mjmacky
05-02-2011, 04:22 AM
Also 10 years IS a lifetime, or rather life expectancy.

zot
05-02-2011, 07:21 AM
NZBmatrix's VIP was supposed to be LIFETIME. When did it get cut back to 10 years?

Not that it really matters. Judging from recent history, I'd say it's rather unlikely that a major filesharing site like NZBmatrix will still be around 10 years from now.

as for readnews
Did the fix their extremely slow speed on old articles? I remember getting only ~1Mb out of 6MB i had on new ones

I've not encountered that slow-speed problem since last summer. I'm sure Readnews has upgraded their system substantially since then, because last November Ngroups and Usenet-News dumped a lot of new users onto Readnews servers when they switched from Highwinds, and there was barely a hiccup.

nntpjunkie
05-02-2011, 02:38 PM
mimo really sucks - this is my high level power user assessment for today, also I would rather have a root canal with no anesthetic than pay Giganews redonkulous prices