PDA

View Full Version : Free Test Service @ Binload

zot
04-27-2011, 02:14 AM
I just saw this on DSLreports. Binload is an all-in-one software/search/usenet currently with a free beta-test period.

The software is aimed at the rote beginner who wants to get files but knows absoutely nothing about Usenet and (probably) doesn't wish to. The client is very simple, very basic, but gets the job done downloading files. There are still has a few bugs to work out - for instance, long subject lines are cut off in the (non-expandable) search window. I don't know if it's possible to use your own newsreader with the service or not. (I should install Wireshark and see what's going on behind the curtain.)

Binload.com is registered under a proxy owner. The site makes no mention of retention, or any download limits during the betatest period. I don't know what back-end server it connects to (I can't get a reverse-DNS on 85.12.7.190). It supports SSL and up to 20 connections, but the client offers no secondary-server support.

Once Binload becames a pay service, I doubt that any experienced usenet users would choose it over a traditional usenet setup. I just hope that Binload does not turn into another Binverse or UseneXt-like scam that tricks people into paying for an entire year. (For some reason it seems just about all the all-in-one usenet clients do this)

Anyway, for now it works and downloads files and is completely free -- and NO credit card needed.

jefffisher
04-27-2011, 03:09 AM
thanks it seems to work good, certainly not going to replace my actual news service provider or newsleecher, unless it's extremely cheap and i have a feeling it wont be. but it is nice and simple i can see it catching on among the once limewire community. interface is a bit odd for a newsreader. it needs some work but it handles the basics. not sure what speed it is capable of but it did max out my 20mbit connection with 2.5MB/s fairly stable. i actually like the browse feature i could see them getting sued a bit more easily than most usenet providers but they're dutch based i dont know if they need to worry about that or not.

the supplied software did not come with any virus's or adware or even those annoying optional browser toolbars thats good. and it definitely does not connect to any outside sources besides the newshost so no spyware or information stealing here.

all in all its pretty decent definitely something new, just wait and see the price.

MultiForce
04-27-2011, 06:02 AM
http://www.db.ripe.net/whois?searchtext=85.12.7.190&searchSubmit=search
Whatever the hell that means :/

Not much to find on domain either other than some protected crap.

Going to test it out but it seems a bit fishy to me (as in a little too easy to last).

Disme
04-27-2011, 08:19 AM
I don't know if it's possible to use your own newsreader with the service or not.
Yes, it is possible to use this with your own newsreader :happy:

The site makes no mention of retention, or any download limits during the betatest period. It supports SSL and up to 20 connections.
Retention +- 400 days (tested!) Non-ssl on port 119 working, SSL working on port 563 (tested).

jefffisher
04-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Yes, it is possible to use this with your own newsreader :happy:
how did you do it?

hdjunky
04-28-2011, 01:12 AM
talk about a program with little features or gui. i dont like all these all in one programs as it brings to much "easyness" to the usenet.

nntpjunkie
04-28-2011, 02:55 PM
it's cute but it won't last...

zot
05-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Like many betas, the client is a bit buggy. I've had to abruptly shut it down a few times when it pegged-out my processor, and then had to start the download over again from the very beginning.

I would agree with people that services like this, because they have widespread appeal to the typical Napster/Kazaa/Limewire user, could draw unwanted attention to the usenet community, which has largely 'flown under the radar' :-)

Ternar
05-07-2011, 01:08 AM
It is a nice offer. The speed is good. Also, you can use it with any client you want.

jefffisher
05-07-2011, 05:47 PM
can someone tell me how to use this with a different newsreader?
i swear i've tried everything i could think of, now i need help. thanks

Disme
05-07-2011, 07:08 PM

If you can't get it to work, it prolly means you don't deserve it :rolleyes:

MultiForce
05-07-2011, 07:56 PM

I'm sure he likes your signature now.

jefffisher
05-07-2011, 09:18 PM

you sir are a genuine douche.

can anyone else help?
i tried connecting to 85.12.7.190
with the username and password never connects, with no username or password connects but never downloads.

also i noticed the actual binload program is now connecting to some external ip's now, kinda suspiciousy.

zot
05-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Do you like fish, Mr. Fisher? :lol:

http://i56.tinypic.com/24dr2ms.jpg

primetime34
05-13-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm also interested in trying binload with an alternate newsreader since I use Linux so any help would be appreciated.

bobbintb
06-26-2011, 10:09 PM
i too am curious. there is no way to customize what files in the nzb to download. when i loaded binload once it wasnt downloading anything. i reloaded the nzb and it wanted to start the download over. i had to manually edit the nzb o get it to work. third party software would be much easier.

Cabalo
06-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Do you like fish, Mr. Fisher? :lol:

http://i56.tinypic.com/24dr2ms.jpg

hehehe nice!