PDA

View Full Version : SATA BluRay; Internal or External? Have the prices improved yet?

iLOVENZB
04-27-2011, 07:55 AM
It appears I might be getting rid of my PS3 in exchange for a car so need a BD player quick smart!

I've never really looked at any players except on launch for the ridiculously priced Sony ones. Have the prices and speeds improved? Should I wait a little longer for a price drop? Any recommended models?

The drive is mainly going to be used for bluray, dont think I really want to invest in a burner just yet ... wait maybe I do.

Fark thinking whilst typing is a bitch!

Summary:

Looking for a BD Player
Might need a BD RW for burning data to BD's.
Interested in knowing if its worth waiting a few months before taking the plunge
Interested in knowing suggested models worth purchasing

mjmacky
04-27-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm going to ignore the summary and you're question in general and ask this. What about picking up an NMT or WDTV HD Live and just grab full rips? It'll achieve the same goals. I should admit I hate the development of Bluray, wasted movement in the media distro front. Now I do have a drive for ripping, just a simple Asus drive, also loads into my C-200 if I'd ever reduce myself to it.

iLOVENZB
04-28-2011, 05:50 AM
It may shock some of you but I purchase blurays. Don't have the quota/time to get BD50's and not going to put up with encodes unless I can't find it here.

iLOVENZB
05-01-2011, 06:54 AM
Still no new posts? How can you lot call yourselves 1337 p1r4t3s if you don't even have a BD player?

tesco
05-01-2011, 04:39 PM
bluray has no place in p2p. :snooty: The file sizes are ridiculous.

teflon05
05-01-2011, 07:04 PM
They have come down in price...I'm thinking about getting one just to archive stuff. Here's (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106346&cm_re=internal_blu_ray_burner-_-27-106-346-_-Product) one at a decent price & includes 10 blank BD-R disks.

mjmacky
05-02-2011, 04:39 AM
It may shock some of you but I purchase blurays. Don't have the quota/time to get BD50's and not going to put up with encodes unless I can't find it here.

What I'm trying to persuade you from is buying still overpriced hardware to play overpriced disks. If you can't grab those rips, even off usenet, and you must have those blurays, then how about this... get a cheaper internal drive like THIS (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4964950&CatId=3635) and rip them yourself. Also, I see that hdspace has lots of blurays, half free-leech, some full free-leech, and free leech everything once a month (basically quota not a big issue). If BT is your thing, seems easiest way to address that quota thing you worry about.

I really hate bluray though, there was no real advancement in technology here. They use a shorter wavelength laser and etch/burn into the disks at closer distances, that's the hardware "breakthrough". The only thing that was done right was the adoption of modern video codecs. But since they couldn't just redeploy dvd players with h.264 compatibly, they figured out how to sell modest advances at a premium. At least VHS --> DVD was a step forward in terms of hardware. Ooh remember the laserdisc? :lol:

zot
05-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Still no new posts?

Maybe because you posted in the "wrong" section? I've probably seen more discussions about Bluray hardware posted in the newsgroup section than here. :P

Let's assume that you're getting this so that you can rip movies and upload them for all of us to enjoy. :)

Therefore you want a player/writer that is not "riplocked" (or is a model supported by riplock-busting apps/firmware) and is supported by ripping software like AnyDVD, and ideally a make and model that is a top choice of the ripping/encoding community. There are many issues to consider. I suggest going to the Slysoft forum, where people would likely know about such things.

Also don't forget review sites like Myce/CDfreaks (though sadly this site no longer tests a drive's DRM-busting abilities).

If you plan on getting an external and aren't in a hurry, it might be wise to wait until the USB-3 versions are out and have dropped in price.

banon37
07-18-2011, 01:55 AM
for the price of a few bluray disks you can get a 2tb drive. bluray was dead from the start, even price cuts cant keep it alive...

iLOVENZB
07-29-2011, 11:42 PM
This looks like the cheapest (LG BH08LS20):

http://dstsolutions.com.au/products/1894/LG_Blu_ray_combo_sata/ProductListing

Still no new posts?

Maybe because you posted in the "wrong" section? I've probably seen more discussions about Bluray hardware posted in the newsgroup section than here. :P

I've never understood why they do that. I mean do NSP's now supply BD hardware/medium now? :P

... you want a player/writer that is not "riplocked" (or is a model supported by riplock-busting apps/firmware) and is supported by ripping software like AnyDVD, and ideally a make and model that is a top choice of the ripping/encoding community. There are many issues to consider. I suggest going to the Slysoft forum, where people would likely know about such things.

According to MyCE (http://www.myce.com/review/LG-BH08LS20-Super-Multi-Blu-ray-Disc-Rewriter-15752/Authors-Page-11/); The LG BH08LS20 is CSS riplocked .... What an erroneous term, "riplock". I thought it meant the drive was locked so you can't rip it. :huh:

MyCE seemed to have nothing but good things to say about the drive.

Conclusion: http://www.myce.com/review/LG-BH08LS20-Super-Multi-Blu-ray-Disc-Rewriter-15752/Conclusion-12/ Might end up getting it, thanks for mentioning the sites too, MyCE seemed to have a very thorough and detailed benchmark testing. I don't know many people who burn at max speed, so the low write speed doesn't worry me.

At the moment I've got a LG GH22NS50 which I'll probably still use for DVD burning ... before they become extinct :P.