PDA

View Full Version : Bought a PS3 this weekend. Hack it?

Skiz
05-03-2011, 05:29 AM
I bought a PS3 this past weekend along with the 'Move'.

Can someone give me a brief rundown about jailbreaking and/or hacking it? Is it worth it? Pros, cons, etc...?

Quarterquack
05-03-2011, 06:09 AM
Pros - None except for piracy. There is no actual necessary functionality added to the PS3. Mostly emulators and piracy enabling/helping features (soon enough someone will come along and convince me that FTP'ing to your PS3 is necessary, to which I will reply "to do what?" and they will reply with "Umm. I don't know. Moving music that I can't listen to in-game around?" - wait for it).

Cons - You lose PSN. Then again, I never used PSN in the first place. I do my online gaming on PC; but if you're a stickler for using every single feature your game/system provides, you might want to ignore the hacking ordeal completely.

EDIT: For me, it's worth it. Buying 3 PS3 games ends up costing more than the system itself, at 70$ per game. So yeah, I already have a modest collection of 8 original games, but there isn't a chance in hell I'm opting into trading games in with my local game store. The developers lose money on that move anyway and only the game stores profit, so I'd rather keep my original disc and pirate the game I wasn't going to buy with money, and the developers weren't going to get the profits of anyway.

Then again, this is one heck of a biased opinion, so maybe wait for someone who doesn't need to explain himself to give you an opinion before you make the jump.

P.S. I see nothing wrong with you hacking your PS3, playing 100-150 pirated games, then un-hacking it and being a respectable gamer from there-on out.

mjmacky
05-03-2011, 06:52 AM
Why don't you buy a 2nd PS3 and just hack one of them. SOLVED

Skiz
05-03-2011, 08:58 AM

Well, I bought the smallest one (160 GB) and that cost me $300. Not exactly wanting to go buy another, especially if there is no good reason not to hack my current one.

@darth - So I wouldn't be able to play online? Nobiggie there. Would I still be able to get updates for games, console firmwares, etc?

mjmacky
05-03-2011, 04:22 PM
@darth - So I wouldn't be able to play online? Nobiggie there. Would I still be able to get updates for games, console firmwares, etc?

Should still wait for Darth's reply but...
I doubt that you would be able to do anything network related, also updating the firmware would undo the jailbreak (am I mistaken?). I'm almost 100 % certain, but can't aver it on account of never tinkering with a PS3. But that's how any hardware works, jailbreaks aren't persistent like personal files.

Well, I bought the smallest one (160 GB) and that cost me $300. Not exactly wanting to go buy another, especially if there is no good reason not to hack my current one.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I kind of figured that since you just recently bought a PS3, you were completely OK with throwing out your money... which would imply that a 2nd PS3 wouldn't be much of a drop in the bucket. My wife and mother-in-law just dropped $400 (or $600, I don't know it was a dizzying figure) on their hair, so I'm kind of in the money waste frame of mind at the moment.

Quarterquack
05-04-2011, 12:52 AM

Well, let me explain the problem this way: The exploit has been fixed in new firmwares, meaning you can't hack newer firmwares for the console. What you can however do, is pretty much "do" anything with the older <3.56 firmwares (do NOT update to 3.56), including add new features from newer firmwares, update games manually etc.

The problem comes here: If a game comes out that can only be played by say firmware 3.6+, then you have to wait until someone spoofs your 3.55 or lower firmware, or modifies the game so that it plays regardless of console firmware version.

mr. nails
05-10-2011, 05:07 AM
see if u can take it back. sony's about to chop prices from the ps3 by $100.

1000possibleclaws
05-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Any reason why you want to hack a ps3 instead of an xbox?

The way I see it 360s are cheaper, and I believe its simpler to play online with full functionality. If I shelled out $300 for a ps3 I personally would buy the few games I'd want to play risk-free online or that are exclusive to that system. And then play everything else on a $100 360 for free. But if there are other factors in your equation, you might want to mod your ps3 I guess, and I'm probably less or just as knowledgeable in modding as you are :P

see if u can take it back. sony's about to chop prices from the ps3 by $100.

Sweet, I might get this come holiday season!

sunfy8
05-18-2011, 03:40 PM
You can visit the ps-scene website and read the faq.

Good Luck Bro

GlazeKing
05-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Nah don't hack your PS3. It's not worth the hassle and I'm sure you'll want to play online and wont be able too as you'll get banned from PSN.