PDA

View Full Version : A possible way to stop the daily spambots

anon
05-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Which most of the regulars are already familiar with - they have "1" as their location and spam a few threads with the same message after registering.

I've already posted what the measure itself consists on in a report thread, so I'll just quote myself:

Right now the registration form only has a reCaptcha to protect against bots. These days that measure is no longer effective. In contrast, asking random questions (such as "file*******talk - fill the blank" or "how much is 4+9?") appears to be an effective measure against them - at least, that's the case on two other forums I staff on.

Even if it doesn't stop them, it will work to prevent other kinds of spambots from even registering.

Cabalo
05-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks, it's already in discussion.

mjmacky
05-04-2011, 02:11 AM
Mission. Fucking. Accomplished (http://xkcd.com/810/) (it's a link)

anon
05-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Good job adding them. There weren't any of those idiots today. :happy:

mjmacky
05-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I can't remember what site I was on, but it was a ReCaptcha making me put a puzzle together (bears on bikes, photograph, etc.), I ended up spending more time on that than all the other information I needed to parse.

anon
05-09-2011, 06:06 PM
I can't remember what site I was on, but it was a ReCaptcha making me put a puzzle together (bears on bikes, photograph, etc.)

Perhaps their intention wasn't to weed bots out, but people who don't have the necessary brain power to do that. :ermm:

tesco
05-09-2011, 10:56 PM
I can't remember what site I was on, but it was a ReCaptcha making me put a puzzle together (bears on bikes, photograph, etc.), I ended up spending more time on that than all the other information I needed to parse.
That's just going too far, it drives away potential members who don't want to put up with that shit.

Good job adding them. There weren't any of those idiots today. :happy:
So it worked? :O

ArtKazagiqi
08-16-2011, 07:39 PM
anon, as I didn't find the option to PM on site can you please add my msn [email protected] I really need your help for something? Thanks.

anon
08-16-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't use MSN. You can wait until you're able to use PMs, or ask here if you're OK with your question not being private.