PDA

View Full Version : Unable to d/l some collections ,but no problem with others...any help appreciated

samirakhan
05-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Let me start off by saying I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to newsgroups. But I've been reading and following the posts and thought it might be better to ask a couple of questions.

I'm currently using Giganews and I can't download this specific collection, but I have been able to download other collections that were brand new to about a week old and it always maxes out my connection. I'm not sure if this just a problem on my end or maybe Giganews doesn't work for older collections.

[http://filesharingtalk.com/nzbs/tv/xvid/234-G-I-Joe-S01-iNTERNAL-DVDRip-XviD-SPRiNTER]

I know that Giganews offers retentions up to 800 days or something like that. But now the question is if this specific collection is dead such as a torrent with no seeders? If so, is there a way that i can request it so that I can get it.

Thanks in advance for taking to time to read this.

nntpjunkie
05-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Giganews suffers many incomplete files due to DMCA takedowns, you can use a fill server to back fill the missing parts. I use Newshosting as my primary account and Astraweb as my filler account. Astraweb does not suffer as many incompletes if any at all. Also you should drop Giganews unless you just like giving your money away :) Hope this helps...

Hypatia
05-04-2011, 09:01 PM
you can check if articles are available on a server via nzb download checker (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Other-Internet-Related/NZB-Download-Checker.shtml). just download nzb, open it via download checker, set connections to 10 and check it. it will show you if there are articles missing.

ive just run it through the checker and it looks like all articles are there.

you havent specified what kind of problem you are having, what newsreader you are using, what kind of errors if there are any your newsreader is reporting when trying to get this collection

PS i would also recommend getting astraweb (http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html) instead of giganews. At some point you might fail to get DMCAed releases.

nntpjunkie
i second that(except for i dont see any point in having a second account if you already have astraweb. It is not needed __at the moment___ imho) well,, maybe just some blocknews fill account

astraweb main account+ blocknews 100-200Gb fill account= FTW

but
as ive mentioned already all articles are there (on giganews) in this case
Files found: 1824
Message-ID's required: 19703
Message-ID's found: 19703
Message-ID's missing from the NZB: 0 (0%)
The files were posted 446 day(s) ago.

Parts checked: 19703
Undownloadable parts: 0
All OK!

mjmacky
05-04-2011, 09:49 PM
But now the question is if this specific collection is dead such as a torrent with no seeders? If so, is there a way that i can request it so that I can get it.

To address this part specifically, no it doesn't work like a torrent with no seeders. It works like a server. Let's pretend we're talking about DDL (direct download). Let's say something is posted on MegaUpload, and you pay for the premium service and download at speeds that max out your connection. This is similar to usenet. Ignoring all of the DDL stuff that gets removed on purpose, it will sometimes expire (if no one downloads for x days) and no longer exists on the servers. The scenario on Usenet is that there's a limited amount of space, so basically stuff that "expired" would be pushed/deleted off their servers to make room for new posts. Since storage space is increasing rapidly, the retention is also increasing, essentially very little has been pushed off usenet for a little while now.

There is a way to request posts and reposts, someone that has the original would just have to post it themselves. Given that it's a bit of a hassle to post things on usenet, I'm not sure how many of those requests actually get fulfilled. So I hope that clears up some of the mystery.

samirakhan
05-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Firstly, thanks for the quick replies.

@Hypatia
"you havent specified what kind of problem you are having, what newsreader you are using, what kind of errors if there are any your newsreader is reporting when trying to get this collection"
I'm currently using Giganews as my provider and using Grabit as my newsreader. The major problem I am having is that I'm unable to download older collections such as a week or more. When I try to do so, for example the G.I.Joe s01 pack I keep getting "Article not found" for every single section of it.

I am sure that everything is working as it is supposed to as I am able to get the newer files without any problems and it consistently maxes out my connection. The files work too, it extracts and I can view the files etc So I'm assuming that it is Giganews. But for older posts all I am greeted with is "Article not found". So my strategy now is to check everyday and find stuff I want and get it day one before it gets too old.

@nntpjunkie I have already dropped Giganews, i'm already shopping around for new providers. I'm already looking into Newshosting and Astraweb. Thanks for the advice.

@mjmacky Thanks for going into detail about that, I was a little confused but you cleared that right up. Thanks again

mjmacky
05-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Astraweb makes me quite happy. Also, you shouldn't be worrying about grabbing stuff quickly before it gets "too old". 3 years ago would be too old in newsgroup world. By the way, I am checking the collection you mentioned in the first post with my Astraweb collection, and it's picking it all up fine, not getting any "article not found" messages.

Hypatia
05-05-2011, 06:37 PM
dont get newshosting..completion is poor.

PS btw i still dont get why you couldnt download this specific collectio.n i checked it via giganews and its all there..

nntpjunkie
05-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Got nothing but good things to say about newshosting.....my only complaint is that I don't have a 100Mbit connection this is the USA and it's 2011 shouldn't we all get 100Mbit by now....

Hypatia
05-05-2011, 09:14 PM
no wonder :lol:

mjmacky
05-06-2011, 04:41 AM
you can check if articles are available on a server via nzb download checker (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Other-Internet-Related/NZB-Download-Checker.shtml).

About this tool, would it need my login, or does it work without it? I got the impression from this line you can only check ones with which you have an account:

NZB Download Checker sends all the Message ID's listed in the NZB file to your newsserver(s) and checks which reply it gets back from the newsserver

Hypatia
05-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Of course you need a login.

It checks availability on a specified server.And as a rule :D most users a re interested whether these articles are available on the server they use =)

mjmacky
05-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Of course you need a login.

Well I don't quite know how auto indexers work. They have a way of checking headers, so I was thinking this might follow the same path but with multiple server choices...

I don't see how this program will be much more useful than just using Alt.binz

Hypatia
05-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Hmm.. can altbinz check the availability of articles on the server you use? Nope.

You missed the whole point

Its about checking whether articles are available ON THE SERVER YOU USE FOR DOWNLOAD
web autoindexers dont tell you that at all.

This software is especially useful for those who use giganews\highwind resellers due to DMCA takedowns.
Checking works very fast.

Several times it saved me about hour of downloading - i checked one bluray, for instance, and it had loads of incompletes, beyond repair

mjmacky
05-09-2011, 01:17 AM
No, I saw the point... Alt.binz does report missing parts before downloading though. What I was trying to say was that with every NZB loaded into Alt.binz, I have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen to the download. The tool mentioned would only be useful to those who have accounts with different providers and for comparing completion between those providers. I wasn't seeing the benefit for the extra step for someone who uses a single provider.

Also, the auto-indexers are using what exactly, wasn't it Astraweb?

Hypatia
05-09-2011, 06:56 AM
I wasn't seeing the benefit for the extra step for someone who uses a single provider.

how come? my friend, for instance, was using newshosting for quite some time. And since lots of downloads couldnt get completed he set a rule to check downloads before downloading something via this checker so he wouldnt waste any time .
Now he uses astraweb lol.
Before downloading blurays(25-50Gb) i usually check them too because i dont wanna waste my time on something that cant be repaired

they might use 2 NNTP providers, who knows

Also. It doesnt matter what Web indexers show. They show all those DMCAed material as available as well since they indexed them when they were uploaded. SO..

mjmacky
05-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Also. It doesnt matter what Web indexers show. They show all those DMCAed material as available as well since they indexed them when they were uploaded. SO..

Hmm, I was looking at it from a new content only perspective, but yeah you're right it would matter for the older stuff.

zot
05-09-2011, 06:49 PM
A feature I would like to see on all NZB clients is for them to automatically check completion in the background as a file downloads, and then stop the download if it is determined that there are not enough pars to fix missing segments. A preliminary completion check function would be nice also, but I imagine that a lot of people would be too impatient to use it, as some providers can be very slow at checking articles. (fortunately the worst-completion provider, Highwinds, reports back very quickly, and a complete check only takes a minute or two)

No, I saw the point... Alt.binz does report missing parts before downloading though.
I've not seen that feature allowing the user to check for completion before downloading - it that something new introduced in recent versions?

Many Dutch usenet search engines are/were owned by the USP they were feeding from. Giganews was generally used by non-Dutch independent search engines like Binsearch and Newsleech (I don't know what NZBindex.nl used) as well as client-based search functions as found on Newsleecher, Newsbin, and Usenet Explorer. But after that massive missing-header problem that Giganews suffered from a few months ago, a lot of search engines are using other feed sources, since they got badly burned relying on Giganews.