PDA

View Full Version : Conan the Barbarian [2011]

mr. nails
05-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Coulda sworn there was a thread on this, but search couldn't find it...

Nevertheless, this looks horrible. Too bad Arnold isn't making a cameo to kill this Conan.

Imma still check this out, but extremely low expectations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPQ99y8KaTU

Skiz
05-06-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm fine with the movie being remade. I'm fine with the movie staying truer to the dialogue from the stories.

I'm not fine with every single movie that comes out these days, especially those that take place centuries ago, having seemingly every character in the film possessing bad-ass mofo, ninja-like, martial arts skills. :dabs:

IdolEyes787
05-07-2011, 12:09 AM
I loved the original despite the plot being silly , the height of Arnold's acting was when he punched a camel ,James Earl Jones in a Fright wig :mellow: , the henchmen being bodybuilding friends , power-lifters and ex-football players with corresponding talent, wanting to kill Mako etc. etc etc.

In that light if this film can stay sufficiently hard ass in this age of PG- 13 , the swordplay isn't laughable , there are a babe or three wearing less clothes than makes sense and the soundtrack is anywhere near as rousing (probably not possible ) then I don't see how Conan 2011 should necessarily pale by comparison.

Especially if you factor Conan the Destroyer into the equation (Wilt the Stilt and Grace Jones :unsure:)

That said whoever thought it was a good idea to make new Conan more ninja than walking tank should be tied to a wheel and forced to march in circles for 20 years.

megabyteme
05-07-2011, 12:22 AM
I now remember seeing something that said [someone] would be playing the new Conan, but I was so uninspired that I had forgotten it completely when my wife asked me if I had heard of a new CTB coming out. It took seeing the guy, in the actual preview to even jog my memory.

That said, if no one mentioned it was a new Conan movie, and we weren't reminded like 8 times that he is, actually playing the part, I would not have guessed that is what the movie was supposed to be.

Please remind me when a decent DVD rip comes available, so I don't miss this "gem". *cough*

IdolEyes787
05-07-2011, 12:28 AM
You mean blu-ray ,preferably iTunes , don't you ?

Btw whether movies like this "work " or not is mostly dependent on whether you "wish" you were the character ....or not.

Also I'm waiting on Red Sonja as hardly anything beats a sword wielding redhead in a steel bikini .
A sword wielding redhead in a steel bikini who isn't Brigitte Nielsen of course .

megabyteme
05-07-2011, 01:20 AM
You mean blu-ray ,preferably iTunes , don't you ?

Btw whether movies like this "work " or not is mostly dependent on whether you "wish" you were the character ....or not.

Also I'm waiting on Red Sonja as hardly anything beats a sword wielding redhead in a steel bikini .
A sword wielding redhead in a steel bikini who isn't Brigitte Nielsen of course .

I believe this will only come out on DVD- of course, it will be a DVD that tries really hard to look like it's a Blu-Ray. Only difference is it lacks that ability to lift the hefty 5GB, and merely presses 700MB. :console: Think of it as the Conan Lite DVD. :P

As for, Brigitte Nielsen and Red Sonja... I never got the "sex appeal" of her, nor the character- especially not as it was presented in that movie. :sick:

IdolEyes787
05-07-2011, 12:37 PM
I dunno maybe ask Cabalo ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoorIAv5Tw4

Btw next time I say "they don't make movies like they use to" remind me of this. :mellow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0luO0VYh5o

megabyteme
05-07-2011, 02:39 PM
I imagine that Cabalo gets so testosterone driven by a Stalone movie that even Brigitte looks sexy. :idunno:

Vid #2: I believe my mind has shielded me from that experience- sort of a protection from traumatic events. Hopefully, that protection will kick in again VERY soon.

IdolEyes787
05-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Back on topic, I would have cast Stallone as the new Conan .Sure he's a little old but at least he's believable as a none too bright barbarian .

Yo Adrien ,you seen that sword Krom gave me anyplace?

sandman_1
05-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Jason Momoa as Conan? WTF were they thinking!!!??:frusty:

IRC, Conan's favorite weapon was a battle-axe if they want to stay true to the stories. "Join the Barbarian Army", shouldn't that be "Join the Barbarian Horde"?

Anyway looks like it is going to be another failed attempt at a remake or redo or whatever the fuck you wanna call it.

Personally I didn't think the original Conan the Barbarian was bad. Now that is a different story for Destroyer. It was over the top silly.

One of my favorite lines :D

Mongol General: Conan! What is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Ajdaho
05-08-2011, 08:52 PM

IRC, Conan's favorite weapon was a battle-axe if they want to stay true to the stories. "Join the Barbarian Army", shouldn't that be "Join the Barbarian Horde"?

Anyway looks like it is going to be another failed attempt at a remake or redo or whatever the fuck you wanna call it.

Personally I didn't think the original Conan the Barbarian was bad. Now that is a different story for Destroyer. It was over the top silly.

One of my favorite lines :D

Mongol General: Conan! What is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

+1

anon
05-08-2011, 08:54 PM
+1

There should be a minimum IQ requirement to access this section.

IdolEyes787
05-08-2011, 09:08 PM
+1

There should be a minimum IQ requirement to access this section.

+1

Ok, then what was Conan’s favourite weapon in the Howard stories?
There was none. Conan’s favourite weapon was the one in his hand in that story, and that varied from location to location. In “The Tower of the Elephant,” it was a simple dagger; in “Queen of the Black Coast” it was an Aquilonian broadsword; in “The People of the Black Circle,” it was a tulwar; in “Beyond the Black River,” it was an axe; in The Hour of the Dragon, goes through a dozen weapons.
The idea of Conan being partnered to a particular weapon subtly ties Conan to other hero/sword combos in history, mythology and myth, to the point where the two are inseparable. Bring up Excalibur, and one immediately thinks of King Arthur; a mention of Stormbringer conjures Elric; Anduril recalls Aragorn, Hrunting evokes Beowulf. There was no such duality in the original Howard stories: there, swords and other weapons were tools to be used, not symbols to be venerated or scrutinized.

Money grab conceived by those apparently devoid of original thought Reimagininging ing

sandman_1
05-09-2011, 01:34 AM

Ok, then what was Conan’s favourite weapon in the Howard stories?
There was none. Conan’s favourite weapon was the one in his hand in that story, and that varied from location to location. In “The Tower of the Elephant,” it was a simple dagger; in “Queen of the Black Coast” it was an Aquilonian broadsword; in “The People of the Black Circle,” it was a tulwar; in “Beyond the Black River,” it was an axe; in The Hour of the Dragon, goes through a dozen weapons.
The idea of Conan being partnered to a particular weapon subtly ties Conan to other hero/sword combos in history, mythology and myth, to the point where the two are inseparable. Bring up Excalibur, and one immediately thinks of King Arthur; a mention of Stormbringer conjures Elric; Anduril recalls Aragorn, Hrunting evokes Beowulf. There was no such duality in the original Howard stories: there, swords and other weapons were tools to be used, not symbols to be venerated or scrutinized.

Thanks for the info, I stand corrected.

IdolEyes787
05-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Not really I merely Googled one person's opinion and with no substantiating evidence have absolutely no idea if anything he wrote is true or not. :unsure:

clocker
05-11-2011, 03:54 AM
Given the subject matter matter, how much verification is required?

megabyteme
05-11-2011, 05:53 AM
Post14999
When people throw lines like, "Get a life my 15k poster." You can always save face by explaining that only 37 of those were any good.

IdolEyes787
05-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Given the subject matter matter, how much verification is required?

Six

Post14999
When people throw lines like, "Get a life my 15k poster." You can always save face by explaining that only 37 of those were any good.

Obviously you have low standards if you thought 37 were good.

Btw please stay on topic and keep the discussion about whether Arnold and Maria were only staying married the last few years to maintain proper image while he was still Governator.

IdolEyes787
06-20-2011, 12:22 AM
I don't know what to make of this.Clearly the producers are going the hardcore route. The acting is atrocious but that didn't seem to hurt the original.
I guess,as with the original, the movie's fate lies squarely on the appeal of it's star and in that respect Jason Momoa doesn't seem able to fill Arnold's shoes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afKRndn5FKk

brightsid
06-21-2011, 08:06 PM
After watching his performance as Khal Drogo there are hopes although he can't beat mr olympia in muscles

megabyteme
06-22-2011, 06:53 AM
After watching his performance as Khal Drogo there are hopes although he can't beat mr olympia in muscles

I did not make that connection. He did well in that role, and the trailer looks violent enough to keep me interested. Let's hope for the best. Or, maybe the trailer is all we needed to see. :mellow:

HarryCaine
07-26-2011, 05:45 AM
Here Jason Momoa speaks about his role of Conan (http://conanthebarbarian2011.blogspot.com/2011/07/jason-momoa-speaks-conan-barbarian.html#more)
And this is my favourite red band trailer of conan the barbarian 2011 (http://conanthebarbarian2011.blogspot.com/2011/06/conan-barbarian-2011-red-band-trailer.html)

IdolEyes787
07-26-2011, 12:06 PM
So you're promoting your blog right?

bumper
07-29-2011, 11:52 AM
i didnt see the first movie, but i hope this one makes me interested! ;)

thebazzla
07-30-2011, 09:02 PM
i didnt see the first movie, i did and believe me you didnt miss much.

Funkin'
08-08-2011, 05:06 AM
Just saw a commercial for the movie, looks about as entertaining as Thor did.

pgk008
08-10-2011, 11:03 PM
I agree. I definitely liked the older Conan series better...

LemOnzoo
08-21-2011, 01:28 PM
i h8 remakes:dry:

MicrosoftMan
08-24-2011, 07:27 PM
didn't really like it

halo9176
08-29-2011, 12:53 AM
so should I see this movie?

IdolEyes787
08-29-2011, 01:01 AM
so should I see this movie?

Since I don't have any clue to your taste in movies I honestly don't know.Ask me instead if I think you parents made a wise descision in having you.