PDA

View Full Version : Longhorn To Phase Out Internet

MagicNakor
11-10-2003, 08:27 AM
Here's (http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5103314.html) the story.

:ninja:

echidna
11-10-2003, 08:57 AM
i imagine that they won't be able to completely get rid of the net

there is so much of it around already

as the article states, another 'new' windows OS is probably not the thing people will be keen to spend their money on

and linux is better, both for stability and of course price.
if only it can get better ways of introducing new users,
it's really no harder than windows just less known

and apples OSs keep getting better aswell, so there is still a dim glimmer of hope

darkewolf
11-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by echidna@10 November 2003 - 08:57
i imagine that they won't be able to completely get rid of the net

there is so much of it around already

as the article states, another 'new' windows OS is probably not the thing people will be keen to spend their money on

and linux is better, both for stability and of course price.
if only it can get better ways of introducing new users,
it's really no harder than windows just less known

and apples OSs keep getting better aswell, so there is still a dim glimmer of hope
You're right...no way they are gonna phase out the net, there IS too much invested in it, by too many players.

dont really matter if they wanna spend money on it or not. All of the major players in the computer industry are under contract to M$ to put the new versions of the OS on the systems that they ship out (which of course dont affect those of us that custom build, but we are a small majority, compared to those that buy off the shelf comps).
This is a dumb move by M$ tho, if it's true. What are peeps like us gonna do? We gonna go and install older versions of the OS on the new machines...probably with pirated register keys. Takes money outta their pockets, either way. Sorry Bill Gate$...your dream of owning the internet is full of crap. Take your investments that you already have in the internet and be happy, you bastard.

I CAN NOT argue that Linux is a good OS. I dont have it on my machine, but Ive used it before, and yeah, it is pretty easy to use. Only REAL reason that I dont have it, is cause I dont wanna have to use emulators for the software that's made for winblows

Edit: I just re-read thru that article. From the sounds of what I read there, and granted...that IS all that I've read on "Longtooth" it sounds like that OS would be a hacker/cracker's paradise, as well as these assholes writing their scripts into websites. Then again, they thought the same thing of Whistler (XP) and they werent entirely off the wall on that one.

ilw
11-10-2003, 11:52 AM
I don't think the article says they want to phase out the internet at all, it just says longhorn tries to put more emphasis on code being run on your own computer instead of being run on a server. The article also says they're trying to counteract the trend in LAN's of putting more and more power into a central server and computers connected to this have little power of their own and rely on the server to do most things for them.

echidna
11-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by ilw@10 November 2003 - 21:52
I don't think the article says they want to phase out the internet at all, it just says longhorn tries to put more emphasis on code being run on your own computer instead of being run on a server. The article also says they're trying to counteract the trend in LAN's of putting more and more power into a central server and computers connected to this have little power of their own and rely on the server to do most things for them.
i take it then, that you only use microsoft operating systems

ilw
11-10-2003, 12:15 PM
I've tried various linux distros a few times, and have one installed at the moment but i haven't used it much recently. I'm not commenting on whether M$ is good or bad, I'm no fan of microsoft's OS's or its browsers or any of its products (except their optical mouse) , I'm just saying the article referenced doesn't seem to say anything about phasing out the internet. Personally I would be willing to bet money that MS has no intention what so ever to phase out the internet, as it seems to be a major driving force in IT at the moment.

MagicNakor
11-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Come now, be honest.

Would you have read it if I entitled it "Microsoft phases out standalone web-broswer, and makes sure that websites built for use with new OS won't be seen otherwise?"

Phasing out the Internet is a more catchy title. ;)

Aimless6
11-10-2003, 12:51 PM
The proper title would have been "phasing out html".

Shifting the balance to xml to reduce server load is a nice idea. However:

- html is widely accepted and easy to use (don't fix it if it aint broken)
- xml has a reputation of being not safe (mostly thanks to M$ allowing barndoor wide exploits)
- if you use a limited set of art on the users harddrive you webpage design will be limited
- if you write pages that don't run on a majority (untill the users upgrade) of you customers systems, you lose the majority of your customers

So I don't see M$ making WinFX a standard anytime soon.

MagicNakor
11-10-2003, 12:54 PM
As I said, I wanted catchy. ;)

Virtualbody1234
11-10-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@10 November 2003 - 07:54

Maybe catchy but untrue.

Supernatural
11-10-2003, 02:14 PM
More like MISLEADING. I read this post for nothing! :angry:

jfm
11-11-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@10 November 2003 - 12:54

Not read properly more like! LoL.

MagicNakor
11-11-2003, 01:27 AM
None of you would survive a day in marketing.

jfm
11-11-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@11 November 2003 - 01:27
None of you would survive a day in marketing.

How come? Coz we learned to read?

_John_Lennon_
11-11-2003, 01:48 AM
Wouldnt building something considered public domain (HTML) into the coding of a program, make it Public domain as well?

jfm
11-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@11 November 2003 - 01:48
Wouldnt building something considered public domain (HTML) into the coding of a program, make it Public domain as well?
Errr?

darkewolf
11-11-2003, 05:34 AM
if micro$haft could build software, like they build hardware, then MAYBE they'd be a good company. Thier Mice, and keyboards are all good. their OS? Dont even get me started...my sig says it all.

DW

echidna
11-11-2003, 09:01 AM
i agree that the best thing that microsoft does is make mouses

ilw :: and there was no 'my OS is harder core than yours' dis intended,
i only wanted to imply that M$ users are often the most unaware of OS diversity,
& because an M$ proprietry network system is not the internet.
i would not want, say, my bank to use M$ servers.

basically i recon that if you put a newish user infront of a distro like RH or mandrake,
once you show them how to log on
& show them the icons for the browser http://mozilla.org/frontpage/downloadIconFirebird.gif (http://mozilla.org/firebird/), email client http://mozilla.org/frontpage/downloadIconThunderbird.gif (http://mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/), and open office http://www.pctip.ch/library/graphics/categories/downloads/dl/21031_1.GIF (http://www.openoffice.org/).
they will only be as lost as if it was windows or macOS,
with just as much chance of getting any work done.

freshmeat (http://freshmeat.net/) presented by micro$oft XML i don't think so. :x

globalterminator
11-11-2003, 04:04 PM
:o longhorn MUST BE STOPPED!

Supernatural
11-11-2003, 07:26 PM
I don't know. Office has always been good, and each new release just gets better.

invictusx
11-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Completely re-write the internet? impossible ... no website is going to adjust themselves THAT much (aside from M$ itself)

joke
11-12-2003, 03:44 AM
Brilliant business model!

Correct me if I am wrong - Shifting from browser application to core window application, probably users have to upgrade their machine to support new functions. If my argument is correct, then this move must be welcomed by PC manufacturers, who, otherwise, have no excuse to persuade customer to upgarde to P4 3G+ for general office usage. The other way round, they will be more sticky to M$ platform rather than other open OS.

Triadcool
11-12-2003, 03:46 AM
Its not going to happen.

darkewolf
11-12-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by joke@12 November 2003 - 03:44
Brilliant business model!

Correct me if I am wrong - Shifting from browser application to core window application, probably users have to upgrade their machine to support new functions. If my argument is correct, then this move must be welcomed by PC manufacturers, who, otherwise, have no excuse to persuade customer to upgarde to P4 3G+ for general office usage. The other way round, they will be more sticky to M$ platform rather than other open OS.
another typical case of the big business stepping all over the little guy mentality. "Persuade"? Bite me. I'll upgrade for what I need, when I can afford to, and when I want to. Business, especially corporations; need a bash in the head to remind them that what they think will make them the most $$$ in their CEO's pockets AINT always what the public wants...and it AINT THEIR place to decide what WE "need".
so what, if some 65 year old only uses her machine to talk to the grandkids by email, or by messenger service? she needs to spend that crappy lil bit of money that the gov't sends her per month on upgrading her system to comply with what microSHAFT wants?

I agree...longhorn needs to take a bullet. And microsoft needs a swift kick in the head, so far as their OS's goes. I LIKE my microsoft office keyboard, but considering that most of the big names in the industry supply similar boards WITH the machine nowadays, its just a case of MS trying to grab a share of consumer market where they can.

Yeah, that is one thing that Linux has working against it. The icons dont make sense, the program names dont make sense. And the redhat version that I used several times, had everything BURIED in extensive lists of directories.

Office might be an exception to the rule. One of the major reasons that M$ pays so much attention to it is because it's such a major business app. I dont know very many large offices that use Corel. More the sorrow.

Supernatural
11-12-2003, 02:02 PM
See what you've done MagicNakor? You created another Microsoft flame topic using misleading information. I hope you're happy now! :angry:

echidna
11-12-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Supernatural@12 November 2003 - 05:26
I don't know. Office has always been good, and each new release just gets better.
office has always been the most common peice of shit software this side of windows

i have spent years cleaning up documents which people had thought they had 'finished' writing in word
word is a bad word processor [that's why quark has existed so long]
frontpage is a worse html editor [what the f%ck is '_vti_cnf' apart from detailing your login id]
and access vs. MySQL+PHP is no competition

each new release of office confuses users more than the last, it's all proprietry 'MS only' bells and whistles

maybe this topic should have been called 'microsoft and their supporters continue to live in dreamland (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=80591)'

Supernatural
11-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Don't even TRY to argue that MS office isn't the best office suite available. OpenOffice LMAO. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Money Fist
11-12-2003, 06:00 PM
What i know about Long Horn

is that almost every copy feature
eg WMP CD copying function

will nag not to illegally distribute what ever it is your copying
there will be tick boxes for you to confirm these agreements

IT IS STUPID

darkewolf
11-13-2003, 12:50 AM
Fiber- I LOVE that pic in your sig! B)

I dunno what would be more annoying...those nags, or the insane number of messenger popups that xp users get, till they learn how to turn them off.

I'd been reading an article in PC Magazine while I was at the airport waiting for my flight home, back in Sept. The US Gov't had been trying to strongarm M$ into building a backdoor into their OS, for "homeland security" purposes. Basically so that all of those Alphabetical agencies could script their way in, and gather intell (e.g. - SPY) according to the official line. To the best of the author's knowledge, M$ refused.
But...who's to say that they arent lying, and that they DID put a backdoor into the new OS? I mean, granted, it wouldnt take too long for somebody to figure out how to lock it, but there's a lot of users out there that are clueless.

I'll admit..there's been SOME improvements in WinBLOWS. And I'll also admit, that as tech progresses, the OS has to upgrade, to keep up with it. Hell, I remember trying to run USB on a win95 sr2 and that was shit. But...M$ just cant leave it alone. They gotta try to be "bigger, better, and much improved" and in the end just end up making more of a monster.

echidna
11-14-2003, 02:13 PM
[i]Originally posted by darkewolf+13 November 2003 - 10:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (darkewolf &#064; 13 November 2003 - 10:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I&#39;d been reading an article in PC Magazine while I was at the airport waiting for my flight home, back in Sept.&nbsp; The US Gov&#39;t had been trying to strongarm M&#036; into building a backdoor into their OS, for "homeland security" purposes.&nbsp; Basically so that all of those Alphabetical agencies could script their way in, and gather intell (e.g. - SPY) according to the official line.&nbsp; To the best of the author&#39;s knowledge, M&#036; refused.
&nbsp; But...who&#39;s to say that they arent lying, and that they DID put a backdoor into the new OS?&nbsp; I mean, granted, it wouldnt take too long for somebody to figure out how to lock it, but there&#39;s a lot of users out there that are clueless.
&nbsp;
&nbsp; I&#39;ll admit..there&#39;s been SOME improvements in WinBLOWS.&nbsp; And I&#39;ll also admit, that as tech progresses, the OS has to upgrade, to keep up with it.&nbsp; Hell, I remember trying to run USB on a win95 sr2 and that was shit.&nbsp; But...M&#036; just cant leave it alone.&nbsp; They gotta try to be "bigger, better, and much improved" and in the end just end up making more of a monster.[/b]
i&#39;ve read that, the XP EULA already provides for M&#036; to "write, modify remove or execute&#39; data on any system using XP without the end users consent or knowledge .
i don&#39;t know if they&#39;ve ever tried to use it but keeping it in their contracts is a bit sus.

<!--QuoteBegin-Supernatural@ Posted on 13 November 2003 - 03:32

&nbsp; Don&#39;t even TRY to argue that MS office isn&#39;t the best office suite available. OpenOffice LMAO.&nbsp; :lol:&nbsp; :lol:&nbsp; :lol: [/quote]

that must be why, yesterday, i had to spend two otherwise potentially productive hours debugging html from an office .doc, as it was crashing IE6.

ie. &#39;internet explorer has performed an illegal action and will be shot down&#39;

it turned out that the reason was the translation of the degree symbol ° into an html character entity,
the code used by M&#036; Word caused IE to eat shit and die, closing any IE windows.

Word used a numeric entity like &170; or something i can&#39;t remember, [i saved a note at work]
i replaced all instances of that entity with &deg;
the crashed ceased and the degree sign, ° appeared.

so M&#036; Word from M&#036; Office, writes M&#036;HTML which can crash M&#036; Internet Explorer,
and you want me to believe that it is the best office suite available.

dream on, pathetic though your dreams may be.
real issues which i have to deal with speak much louder to me than hollow loudmouthed bragging

[i just tested the HTML output of openoffice.org 1.1 Writer, and dreamweaver MX. they both use &deg; like i do. so it is just microsoft users who get to have their pages pertaining to subjects like recipes or weather or geography or engines or physics or in this case scuba diving, crash their users browser. what a great product :blink: ]

Money Fist
11-14-2003, 06:08 PM
Ha ha haaa haaaaaa
sorry but i have to laugh
about echidna (no offence)
its funny coz its true

but dont you think using Word to make htmls
is not such a great idea

words sole duty is to create documents
as excel is for spread sheets

So why didnt u use frntpage?
its a dedicated program + normally comes with M&#036; office package

and all that shit could have been avoided&#33;?&#33;?

ALSO yes most M&#036; products are crap
(only one i like is win2000 and that was only when with SP4)

ALSO, ALSO
cheers darkwolf.
i wanna change my sig a bit, so u can tell its the
keymakers block head

echidna
11-15-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Fiber@15 November 2003 - 04:08
Ha ha haaa haaaaaa
sorry but i have to laugh
about echidna (no offence)

its funny coz its true

but dont you think using Word to make htmls
is not such a great idea

words sole duty is to create documents
as excel is for spread sheets

So why didnt u use frntpage?
its a dedicated program + normally comes with M&#036; office package

and all that shit could have been avoided&#33;?&#33;?

ALSO yes most M&#036; products are crap
(only one i like is win2000 and that was only when with SP4)
Hey kid :ph34r: if you have a viable solution add it, your only demonstrating the limits of your end-user ignorance. OK,
the sitch is:

the day before yesterday, i get given copy as a.doc to convert to HTML
[because the person giving it to me had already given up trying in frustration, i don&#39;t know how long she spent trying]

cutting and pasting from word into frontpage destroyed formatting and made the browser crash.
saving as html from word retained formatting and still crashed the browser. [M&#036; IE6 for :swear: sake&#33;]

do you expect me to print the word .doc and re-type it?

when i write html i type it with my fingers in a text editor, or produce it with dreamweaver, topstyle and HTMLtidy

so really given that the workstation i was at didn&#39;t have my choice of apps.
what exactly was i going to avoid by using frontpage?
oh i was using frontpage and it contributed to the waste of time microsoft forced upon me the other morning

frontpage is a peice of shit which i only suffer because of the work-flow my employers use
[there is no keyboard shortcut for inserting an image and after 3 weeks i&#39;m still resorting to writting in the code view to effect almost any change, even just hyperlinks. it also also has increadably retarded search and replace function]

i would recommend anyone using it to uninstall it ASAP. you would be better with notetab (http://www.fookes.com/notetab/index.php)

i did have notetab (http://www.fookes.com/notetab/index.php) and topstyle which helped a lot

if words &#39;sole&#39; duty is operating only in it&#39;s .doc format, why does it save as various other formats?
if M&#036; word saves ° as .html in such a way that it crashes M&#036; IE maybe it should have save as html as an option?

[if print documents are words &#39;sole&#39; duty, why can&#39;t it retain format independent of system as .pdf does? there is no &#39;embed fonts&#39; function for word documents and word .docs can render VERY differently on two different systems :: it is an apaulling product which is system resource hungry and infiltrtes the entire file association system to very mediocre ends, i must give it credit that it is one of the only apps that can still make footnotes though]

maybe microsofts sheep-like users ought wake up and demonstrate some sensible software choices.

really, tell me what microsoft workflow you can use to circumvent this issue
ie. ° character conversion from word .doc into viable .html

Money Fist
11-19-2003, 02:58 AM
Put down your Thesaurus
echidna (hang on a sec... thats a womans tag)

lets start that again
put down your Thesaurus
EDNA :lol:

you aint shit but a bitch

your a dumb ass for leaving ° in you html coding
try proof reading your code you stupid noob

thats right take my advice you need it,
making a big deal out of your dumb ass mistakes
go cry like a baby in yahoo chat you sad kid
you will find a boy friend while your there too, little girl

so dont be PMing me this kind of shit

are you going to respond to this?
or are you just a pussy trick-or-treating kid who can&#39;t back up their bullshit?
if you have an answer i want to hear it.

(like i said go to sad yahoo chat)
ill PM you a link if you can find it NEWBIE
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

echidna
11-19-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Fiber@19 November 2003 - 13:58
Put down your Thesaurus
echidna (hang on a sec... thats a womans tag)

lets start that again
put down your Thesaurus
EDNA&nbsp; :lol:

thats right take my advice you need it,
making a big deal out of your dumb ass mistakes
go cry like a baby in yahoo chat you sad kid
you will find a boy friend while your there too, little girl

so dont be PMing me this kind of shit

are you going to respond to this?
or are you just a pussy trick-or-treating kid who can&#39;t back up their bullshit?
if you have an answer i want to hear it.

(like i said go to sad yahoo chat)
ill PM you a link if you can find it NEWBIE
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
thesaurus is a big word, did you look it up? i don&#39;t need to use a thesaurus regularly.

n00b?

i&#39;ve been online for ten years now you wimpering fool

you can&#39;t provide an answer so you abuse me again [gosh i&#39;m so offended that you called me a girl :o ]
hassling my handle when you&#39;re named after a food group that makes people shit regularly?????

proof reading wasn&#39;t the issue.
the character had to be in both the print and the web publication, it was correct where it was in the copy. BTW the error was never on line if that&#39;s what your insinuating

do you and microsoft feel that all copy should have character entities manually entered inline?, [MS also ignores ©]
that is unacceptable and given the choice i&#39;d have been using DW, as it stands frontpage forces me to code by hand again so i am entering all entities manually

you haven&#39;t demonstrated you know anything except that frontpage is a html editor [aparently] and that word is primarily a print application. [wow]

i don&#39;t even think you know what your writing about, let alone actually made any money through publishing

if you didn&#39;t know, why shoot you mouth off abusing me? [twice]
i PMed &#39;cause you didn&#39;t respond to my post for two days

i don&#39;t know or care what the hell your babbling about yahoo chat and a link

you are no help so why don&#39;t you go play on the road kid

if you actually know anything about converting character entities with microsoft applications say it. :ph34r:

Supernatural
11-19-2003, 02:06 PM
Truth of the matter is, you can&#39;t complain when HTML coding doesn&#39;t work with Word. That&#39;s not what it&#39;s designed for. HTML uses alot of symbols and characters that look like typing mistakes. I can&#39;t believe you are trying to blame the software. This is obviously human incompetence.

ilw
11-19-2003, 02:20 PM
If it provides a convert to html option, then that option should work, no? If some of their symbols cause IE to crash when viewing the page then I think its a valid point saying that they&#39;re distributing stuff that is unreliable and doesn&#39;t provide functionality that it claims. Obviously html pages aren&#39;t the strong point of Word, but i think generating html that doesn&#39;t crash is a minimum requirement.
Personally i like office, i haven&#39;t come across anything else as easy to use, you get better results with other packages, but for quick, decent results, Office gets my vote. Imo frontpage sucks ass tho.

echidna
11-19-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Supernatural@20 November 2003 - 01:06
Truth of the matter is, you can&#39;t complain when HTML coding doesn&#39;t work with Word. That&#39;s not what it&#39;s designed for. HTML uses alot of symbols and characters that look like typing mistakes. I can&#39;t believe you are trying to blame the software. This is obviously human incompetence.
the problem is taking copy from word and tranfering it into html, keeping all characters correct, by using microsoft software.

it&#39;s not uncommon or unreasonable.

i KNOW word sux. my workplace hasn&#39;t worked that out yet.

where is my incompetence? i found the error. i corrected the error.

i want to be able to use the software that &#39;says&#39; it can do this to to this. how have i demonstrated incompetence?

dusk
11-19-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Fiber@19 November 2003 - 02:58
lets start that again
put down your Thesaurus
EDNA :lol:

Dude are u gay???

hahaha

fear of competition? os just plain postwhoring?

be constructive dont fuck up the topic...

(i was gonna say bitch in the end, but you would probably like it huh Fiber..)

PS: by your posts i can see your are 15 year old obese antisocial buttyboy...

why do u people say n00b all the time, xit you loose lots of quality posts because of that... whats next ??? Oldie?

and dont call me a fuckin n00b or ill hit in the head with my datatronic

Money Fist
11-20-2003, 07:21 PM
dusk shuddup no one knows you
so get lost

(now little matters are aside)

i&#39;ve been online for ten years now you wimpering fool

thats along time
how do u go to the toilet

also its Whimpering not wimpering

you wanna talk about html code
im the one who got all 3 levels of LOCN
and a Cisco
also doing my HND in computing
in Uni

you see son (i mean girl)
im the officially qualified one

unless however you want to tell me what you have behind you
(please don’t lie)

Xanex
11-20-2003, 09:07 PM
@Fiber

Dude STFU untill you can demonstrate the knowlage that you claim to have, you came at this topic with a mind to flame.

Echinda is right (and demonstrates his knowlage well), m&#036; is way below par, but its the only OS that can run all the market uses with out some sort of workaround, i only use XP cos of the compatability with games etc and its the OS im used to more. The software library is HUGE and there are some nice programs out there, Office2k was a nice office suite and so is openOffice they all have their strengths and weaknesses. And I find it shitty about the lack of cross compatability in M&#036; software as echidna pointed out

Yea you have linux and MacOs BUT the software library lacks the finishing touch.

I use mandrake and RH and debian in my line of work , yea they are cool, pretty easy to use once you get used to them just like windows took when new version comes out.

I agree that word was not made for HTML coding, it evolved to have that abilty, and even frontpage sux for doing more advanced stuff, the only half decent programs are Excell and Powerpoint

If ya can&#39;t say something contructive or politely disagree with factual based arguments then STFU and don&#39;t even bother thinking about posting

Xanex

Money Fist
11-21-2003, 12:21 AM
Dude STFU untill you can demonstrate the knowlage that you claim to have, you came at this topic with a mind to flame

also you have typos
untill is spelt until
and knowlage is spelt knowledge
mmmmm looks like someone need the knowledge :lol:

NOOO
YOU STFU

if you can READ
you will see that on the top of page 3
who starts on who
also take that stupid PM into consideration

When i read what she Posted on 15 November 2003 - 03:02
i was like cool she made a good point
then later on BECAUSE i never replied
she felt all hurt and that all that thesaurus time
went to waste
so she had to be noticed

ergo sending a PM harassing for attention

and then you come to me saying "with a mind to flame"
before you make statements get the facts
acting like i have no motive tsk tsk tsk

little dick heads think they are tough because they are hiding behind
there monitors

just like the few racists up in this place

RoMoFo
11-22-2003, 03:26 AM
MS Word is the worst for attaching meaningless code to your document.

Copy all your text, paste it into Notepad, then code the HTML yourself or place it into a better WYSIWYG editor.

darkewolf
11-25-2003, 11:27 AM
i&#39;ve read that, the XP EULA already provides for M&#036; to "write, modify remove or execute&#39; data on any system using XP without the end users consent or knowledge [i&#39;m still using 98 so i can&#39;t be bothered checking the accuracy of this].

LOL I&#39;m still on 98 too. Primarily, because of all the holes that I&#39;ve heard about in Whistler (XP). "consent or knowledge" I&#39;d say that those three words right there say it all.

I&#39;ve used Word for doing html. nothing very intricate (I&#39;m still an html newbie) or big. But it beats using notepad, or wordpad when you do the stuff by hand, and it&#39;s what you have, ON hand. (EG- on the system you&#39;re using). I&#39;ve used Frontpage, didnt like it. And there are still a slew of hosts (mostly the free webspace hosts) out there that dont support frontpage extensions, or charge extra to do so.

And MS as been repeatedly dogged from a great many sources about making product that doesnt support their claims of what it will do.

Also, not that I am taking sides in a flame debate, or even approve of the amount of persoanl flames that are going on, on this thread, I DO believe in sharing things that I, or others might think is cool (or else I wouldnt be on KL). so here&#39;s something that I found that I wanna share.
http://home.earthlink.net/~darkewolf/images/Agent_Smith.jpg <- LOL I found this on a Desert Eagle airsoft auction, on ebay :)

Money Fist
11-25-2003, 07:52 PM
mmmm
you don’t think 2000 has this flaw

i never paid much attention to eula nagging crap
when i installed 2000 (i normally do)

i choose 2000 over XP

i vow never to go online with longhorn (i kinda did the same with XP)
because P2P copyright infringements have be highlighted soo
much lately (also all the spy-ware coming with software as standard these days)
i have no trust for these corporate

(like what was said earlier about M&#036; and a little secret deal with the feds,
no one know what goes on behind closed doors)

PS- dont mean to sway any one from XP or Longshot ;)

PSS- Nice smith pic "Desert Eagle what a gun"
i want a clear pic of the keymaker (hes cool LOL)

internet.news
11-26-2003, 12:11 AM
I am quite happy with my win98 ;) linux does not detect my screen... monitor...