PDA

View Full Version : IRC - Request missing files / par files

Tokeman
05-10-2011, 09:18 PM
So I downloaded a tv series, and a few episodes have too many missing blocks to repair, even with the par2 files. I used to know an IRC channel where you could 'request' missing / incomplete files or par files, and if some one had access to them it would be sent to you via IRC, usually very quickly (minutes)

Does a channel like this exist anymore?

I found the series on a few torrent sites, but they are all pre-extracted, and I do not wish to redownload them all. Used newsgoups to save bandwidth...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: nevermind, found #incomplete :)

Wow, I really wonder where these people get these files... Post I grab'd was almost 900 days old on newsgroups (probably the cause of my incompletes), and I couldn't find them anywhere else still archived. Requests I made were filled very quickly, and 100% complete...

iLOVENZB
05-11-2011, 09:20 AM
#alt.binaries.teevee ;).

EDIT: http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/351356-How-to-request-stuff-on-IRC!

Cabalo
05-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Wow, I really wonder where these people get these files... Post I grab'd was almost 900 days old on newsgroups (probably the cause of my incompletes), and I couldn't find them anywhere else still archived. Requests I made were filled very quickly, and 100% complete...

They all come from the same place, the scene. ;)

Tokeman
05-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Need more access :P
Thanks guys!

zot
05-12-2011, 07:28 AM
I assume that your usenet provider is a Highwinds reseller (including Newshosting, Usenetserver, Newsdemon, and many more). (ALL files on that service over 500 days old are VERY incomplete) (Giganews too on some shows) Instead of chasing down rar replacement files, a better solution would be to get an USP that do not have retention problems. Astraweb and UsenetNow/Blocknews don't. They also sell block accounts that (in some newsreaders) can be added as secondary fill servers to your existing (crummy) provider, to automatically pick up all the missing segments.

Tokeman
05-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Using Astraweb. Most of the files i grab up to 900 days are fine. The first half of this series was also fine. 2nd half was hugely incomplete, although the indexing site showed it as complete... Ended up grabbing some files from #incomplete, and getting the final few eps through torrents... Ah well...

zot
05-12-2011, 04:52 PM
I suggest setting up a block account (the kind you pay for one time, and they never expire) as a fill-server in your Newsreader/NZB client. SABnzbd and a few other clients allow you to do this (though most clients don't). Blocknews.net and Usenet-News.net sell (Readnews backend) block accounts for as little as $2 to $3. Set it up as a fill-server to Astraweb, and (assuming the missing parts were not the result of a posting error) you will practically never have to worry about ever getting an incomplete file ever again.

Tokeman
05-12-2011, 07:10 PM
So on sabnzbd I would add it under servers and check the Backup Server box? Will it just automagically use that when it can't find an article on any of my primary servers?
Thanks for the tip!

zot
05-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Correct.

The 'backup' server is only used to download articles that are missing from the primary server. As Astraweb rarely has anything missing, even a $2 block could last you many years when used strictly for fills.