PDA

View Full Version : Spyware Blaster

darkewolf
11-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Heyas All- I was on www.webattack.com and came across a freeware app called SpyWare Blaster, in their section of spyware programs.

It claims to stop the code that installs them in IE, rather than actually scanning for them on the system. Kind of a "stop them before they infect you" kind of thing.

So I DL'd it, and figured I'd try it out. I've got it installed now, and was wondering if anybody else is using it, or if others would wanna try it out, and give ratings on how well it works...or even if it don't work at all.

THANKS!

DW

zapjb
11-10-2003, 11:36 AM
I use it. I'd say 9/10.

Busyman
11-10-2003, 11:43 AM
It also runs of off of Spybot Search and Destroy when you click Immunize. Good prog.

zapjb
11-10-2003, 11:51 AM
Yes good catch Busyman.

globalterminator
11-10-2003, 09:41 PM
9/10, however it does nothing special.

Mik3ll
11-10-2003, 09:50 PM
I would rate it 10/10, Ive been using it for a few months now, I would always get those tracking cookies, and since I installed it, I dont have them anymore, I check with Ad-Aware and Spybot

darkewolf
11-11-2003, 05:40 AM
Cool, it's sounding good so far. Last night I hit a site that I KNOW has a homepage hijacker written into it. After the page finished loading, I opened a new window, and it was still "about:Blank" even after I'd watched the "Loading java applet" go across my status screen in IE.

DW

Jordank87
11-11-2003, 06:48 AM
so should i deleat spybot search and destroy or keep both spyblast and s&d?

zapjb
11-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Keep both.

darkewolf
11-11-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Jordank87@11 November 2003 - 06:48
so should i deleat spybot search and destroy or keep both spyblast and s&d?
definitely. keep both. Spyware prevention is just like virus prevention...or even safe sex. the more precautions that you take, the better off you are.

I DID run into a problem with it this morning tho. Because it blocks java, I wasnt able to pull up a map that was from a java window. the window would open, but the page itself wouldnt load. I had to open the blaster, unprotect, reload the page with the map, and then re-enable the blaster protection. No big deal, just made the process a bit longer than normal.

That's like my "safe sex" anology from earlier tho. A condom makes you take a minute to put it on, but it's better than catching something that you dont wanna catch. (Doesnt feel as good as skin to skin either, but that's not relevant to this..... :rolleyes: )

darkewolf
11-25-2003, 11:54 AM
well...I found one chink in it's armor. It didnt block a coolwebsearch hijacker that got installed on me this morning. But then, neither did PC-Cillin 2003...it saw it coming, but didnt do anything about it.
CWshredder took it off, clean as a whistle tho. I have REALLY gotta wonder, why the hell anybody would WANT to hit somebody's site, when they put out spyware that does such crappy things to browsers. Some of those coolweb bugs REALLY screws IE UP! :angry:

clocker
11-25-2003, 02:55 PM
I have tried Spyware Blaster and much prefer a program called WinPatrol.
I have never been hijacked while using it.

darkewolf
11-25-2003, 04:40 PM
Hey! It's Max Headroom! I had forgotten all about that old show and commercials!

WinPatrol. I'll have to check that out. too tired to do it right now tho...bed is calling my name.