PDA

View Full Version : How to stop corrupt downloads?

LemonJelly
05-17-2011, 10:23 PM
I am using NewsLeecher and have 10 slots open, can anyone tell me if hacing this amount of slots open will possible corrupt files?

jefffisher
05-17-2011, 10:53 PM
use a better server.
use par2's
or maybe if they're new they just aren't finished uploading yet?

Beck38
05-18-2011, 01:49 AM
Same advice, definitely wait 2-3 days for any 'laggards' to crawl in (propagation), but you don't mention which server either.

Remember that most folks don't have much in the way of upstream/posting bandwidth, and it may take several days to fully post depending; lots of folk use posting programs like Powerpost and upload the nzb FIRST rather than at the END, as well.

Lot's of possibilities.

LemonJelly
05-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Ok thanks for the advice. I'm on Atraweb. The bguggest problem I am having is passworded files. It seems 8/10 files are encrypted, is there any way round this?

praxis
05-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Get your nzb's from a reliable source - here at FST or check out the Sticky thread 'NZB Indexing Sites!' above this thread.

iLOVENZB
05-18-2011, 11:25 AM
LemonJelly what version of NewsLeecher are you using?

Are the files being saved in the "!! newsleecher temporary !!" directory and not being moved? (I've had this happen countless amount of times on v4.0 Final). Or is it a matter of missing blocks because of an unreliable server?

LemonJelly
05-18-2011, 04:00 PM
This site is great and also NZB Magic seems great as well

@iLoveNZB: I am using version 3.9 - all my files seemed to to be downloaded in my downloads folder but Winrar gives me some CRC error. I just checked out a couple downloads on this site and NBZ Magic and they were perfectly.... maybe it was a dodgy source as I noticed posts by YENC seem to be fake.

B18C5
05-18-2011, 07:57 PM
I've seen quite a bit of corruption caused by virus scanners dicking with the data as it's written to disk. Some of them mess with it in transit too. When I download from Giga, I'd say my error rate is well under 1%. I might fix one set of files in 100. I get tech support from people with the same setup and servers as mine who have to repair every set they download. That tells me there's something up with their PC's or scanners. I'm not including DMCA take down files. They're a special case.

Newsbin 6 and I believe Newsleecher can both filter out encrypted files too. Even "large rar inside rar" downloads.