PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for my ignorance (and english)

pmurad
05-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Im using usenet since 5 days ago and I see a lot of strange groups, full of spammers, just people telling shits about how to earn money or/and doing ads about them own websites... My question is: you pay to join in usenet...
but this is so common there that look like "free forums", someone can explain me why this? and if this people are paying to spam there too? :sick:

B18C5
05-22-2011, 02:47 PM
You're paying for access to a server. You're paying for the bandwidth you use when you download. Nobody controls what's on usenet though. What you'll need to do is find groups that you like, that have high content to spam ratio and look in them for your files. Of the 100,000 groups that a server has, normally only about 2000 actually have content worth downloading. I'd say 90% of usenet is concentrated in perhaps 50 groups though. You can also use NZB files and not look at what's in the groups at all. An NZB file is like a torrent, it tells the reader how to download a set of files without even needing to download headers.

zot
05-22-2011, 05:16 PM
I assume that you're using a newsreader to fetch headers. The vast majority of groups are basically dormant and do nothing but collect spam posts and little or nothing else. Pick a group with a lot of posts: the less content it has-- the higher the proportion of spam it will have.

A good newsreader, properly set up, will allow you to filter out most spam posts.

You can also get verified NZBs from sites like this one and never see spam, fakes, passworded files, or worse.