PDA

View Full Version : Usenetnow(readnews) + 100mbit= fail?

Hypatia
05-22-2011, 02:09 PM
I once tried usenetnow and had terrible experience with downloading old files.The speed was awful.

Today ive decided to give it another try because ive heard that they 've fixed this issue.
Well. here is what i found.

1) US server strangely enough worked better for me(unlike AW and GN\SN)
I managed to get about 6MB downloading both new and old files. But that was maximum i could get. it didnt matter how many connections i used

2) EU server turned out to be epic fail for me. ~3MB downloading new files and ~1.5Mb when i tried t get the old ones. Basicaly it was the same i had had once back then

It is really surprising since i have better routes to EU than to US and both AW , GN,SN EU servers have been superb so far considering speed.

I was wondering if there are any 100mbit+ users out there who have the same issues with readnews?
Or , maybe, 50mbit users who have speed problems too

As of now i think that readnews is best to be used if you have a really fast connection as a fill block account server only, that's it.

heiska
05-22-2011, 04:18 PM
They (Usenetnow) used to mention on their site "unlimited speeds till 40 mbit/s". They're resellers probably paying per transferred data, so they have a reason to limit the speeds. Have you tried maxing out a blocknews block account or a Usenet-News account?

hdjunky
05-22-2011, 04:37 PM
I don think the 40 mbit thing is true anymore as I get 60 mbits plus normally, I only wish it was my own connection!

I remember when old stuff was REAL slow but I think they got it now so 95% of users can get full speeds. Here in the US of Amerika 100 mbit home connections are a pipe dream in a far away land sadly. :-(

I think they have the best completion of most so with that and good support it is a good trade off for me in the end.

Maybe being in europe is bottlenecking you a bit to the usa and the server?

Hypatia
05-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Nope. I dont have blocknews account\usenet-news so i cant test it =(

Maybe being in europe is bottlenecking you a bit to the usa and the server?

eh? i think ive mentioned that on usenetnow i have better speeds via US server(!) and awful via EU server especially on old files
im in Europe and routes are shorter to EU server.

As for EU AW and GN servers- they both max out my plan (http://img24.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_064298187_Clipboard04_122_546lo.jpg).

=)

PS it seems it is also time-related... Ive just tried it again and Eurospeed are equal to US speed on new files..

zot
05-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Did you try the servers at different hours of the day?

I've noticed over the last year or so that Readnews' US server gets slow in the evenings (US time) more so than Highwinds or Astraweb. (No problem, I just open more connections) but my biggest complaint was that the server would consistently lose my posts during those peak hours. Readnews has had tremendous growth in users lately, so that might not be completely unexpected.

Just about all the Dutch providers now charge extra for high speed access. I think it's only a matter of time until the American ones do likewise, so enjoy it while you can. :P

hdjunky
05-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Sorry I meant maybe it is a bit of a bottleneck causing you to not get over 6 MBs from the usa.

Hypatia
05-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Did you try the servers at different hours of the day?
yeah

I think it's only a matter of time until the American ones do likewise, so enjoy it while you can

well astraweb doesnt have this issue=) and GN already charges a lot lol. They claim on their website that they can sustain 1gbps =))
as supernews does

PPPS OOk.. i set up 50 conenctions lol now , at this time of the day im getting 9+MB. I need only 13 + to get it from supernews and giganews\ astraweb=)