PDA

View Full Version : BitTorrent Use DropBox to Remotely Start Torrents with uTorrent

sputnik04
05-29-2011, 12:20 AM
http://www.dropbox.com/static/14863/images/logo.png

DropBox is of course an amazing utility. There are endless creative ways to use it to sync different things.

This tutorial simply focuses on torrenting & uTorrent.
(The same exact principles apply to any torrent client)

1> Get a Free DropBox account. 2GB is free.
2> In uTorrent: Options > Preferences > Directories

Select: Automatically Load .torrents from & navigate towards your DropBox folder.

http://anony.ws/di-MHJZ.png

You will also need to select where you want the torrents saved to. Select "Always Show Dialog on Manual Add" so you can choose where to save torrents to when you are home.

Also, you can select "Delete Loaded .torrents" to keep you DropBox neat and clean.

3> Download a torrent into your DropBox when you are away from home. (Note: This can be anywhere in your DropBox: does not need to be your public folder)

That's it!

So in a nutshell:

1.You are away from your home computer & want to DL something so it is ready for you when you get home, it's a new release and you want to start seeding, you found something you don't want to forget about, etc. etc.

2. You download a torrent & save it to your DropBox

3. Your home computer constantly scans the DropBox for added torrent files and instantly sees the torrent, adds to uTorrent, and starts downloading to your Default save location, then deletes the torrent file out of your DropBox.

4. Your torrent is waiting for you when you get home!

NOTES:
Do NOT use DropBox as your save location for torrents.

You will likely ultimately want to move your torrents to a different location but you do need to pick a single folder location as there is no way to specify it after you add the .torrent file into you DropBox.

If you don't have DropBox installed onto the remote computer, you can save the torrent file and use the Web interface or put DropBox on a memory stick (DropBox portable).

cibu
05-30-2011, 11:21 AM
I don't really get it , what does DropBox do ?
Or ...what is it ?

Disme
05-30-2011, 11:33 AM
I don't really get it , what does DropBox do ?
Or ...what is it ?

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring all your photos, docs, and videos anywhere. This means that any file you save to your Dropbox will automatically save to all your computers (http://www.dropbox.com/install), phones (http://www.dropbox.com/anywhere) and even the Dropbox website (http://www.dropbox.com/). Dropbox also makes it super easy to share with others, whether you're a student or professional, parent or grandparent. Even if you accidentally spill a latte on your laptop, have no fear! You can relax knowing that Dropbox always has you covered, and none of your stuff will ever be lost. (quote from the dropbox website)

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. 2GB account is free!
You can signup here: www.dropbox.com
:cool:

(http://db.tt/I2YbpEn)

anon
05-30-2011, 02:34 PM
2GB account is free!

...and extra storage capacity becomes available upon referring people with special links.

I don't see what all the Dropbox fuss is about. If I want to make a backup of something or have a file readily available on the "cloud", I'll upload it to a file hoster or drop it in a free Web hosting account.

Disme
05-31-2011, 06:25 AM
2GB account is free!

...and extra storage capacity becomes available upon referring people with special links.

You can't blame a guy for trying, no ;) , at least it wasn't a phishing link or god forbid, a virus :emo:

A
05-31-2011, 11:22 AM
2GB account is free!

I don't see what all the Dropbox fuss is about. If I want to make a backup of something or have a file readily available on the "cloud", I'll upload it to a file hoster or drop it in a free Web hosting account.
Dropbox makes it simple and flawless for the average joe. That's the attraction.

Cabalo
05-31-2011, 12:20 PM
It's already an application I can no longer live without. Too many advantages, too simple and really fast.

bobbintb
06-17-2011, 02:07 PM
utorrent already has a built in remote tool that is simpler and better.

scottperez
06-27-2011, 10:20 AM
thanks @disme ! it was real simple to understand, actually what it is and what does it do ;)

lando
07-10-2011, 03:24 PM
i really like this idea. this is a great tip.

penduboy
07-16-2011, 08:21 PM
I am new to this as well, thanks for the tip and I have downloaded dropbox on my new imac and on my iphone. i can easily sync files but haven't tried for torrents. I will give it a try and will report.

Thanks, Pendu

Eliteseeders
09-12-2011, 03:07 AM
Thanks for this. May come in handy

eohjun
10-12-2011, 02:35 PM
thanks. it's very useful to me.

prpower
12-12-2011, 02:09 AM
wow nice

nitin
12-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Good Tutorial. I will try this dropbox at home for sure.

magicalboy
12-14-2011, 06:57 AM
I didnt know that before! thanks for sharing will come in handy!

tombrady
12-20-2011, 05:51 AM
This is a great tip, but I was thinking, why not make the dropbox folder your download location too. That way if I am in a place that does not allow torrenting, I could download a torrent and get it through dropbox.

anona678
12-25-2011, 05:59 AM
That's a neat idea :) thanks

MikeB
01-19-2012, 05:57 AM
i dont like subscriptions, i use cloudberry with amazon s3. i pay $30 one off for the cloudberry and use the software to sync with amazon s3. amazon s3 is super cheap compared to what the backup companies charge.

also, many backup companies dont even have their own storage servers anyway, the use amazon s3 themselves, lol

TheMet
01-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks a million for this! I can start downloading series from work and they're now ready for me to watch when I get home, awesome use of Dropbox

sensational
02-05-2012, 12:15 AM
DropBox is awesome - myself i set dropbox up on my linux server then got friends n family to download dropbox to there machines all same account of course , So they can throw nzb and .torrents files into it and they dont have to delete anything etc etc , Sabnzbd picks up the nzb files and rtorrent collects the .torrent files once both collect the files they auto remove from designated folders in dropbox so im not left with loads crap in my organised folders in dropbox , very handy when im away from home as once they completed i have subsonic stream content straight back out to me once done what my family and close friends love :)

mpampis
03-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Great idea! This a use of dropbox that i never thought about it. Thank a lot for the tip... :)

Mates
10-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Is that still working?

nirvanafreak91
10-10-2013, 02:29 AM
definatly will try thanks

SMCBuki
10-15-2013, 12:29 AM
http://www.dropbox.com/static/14863/images/logo.png

DropBox is of course an amazing utility. There are endless creative ways to use it to sync different things.

This tutorial simply focuses on torrenting & uTorrent.
(The same exact principles apply to any torrent client)

1> Get a Free DropBox account. 2GB is free.
2> In uTorrent: Options > Preferences > Directories

Select: Automatically Load .torrents from & navigate towards your DropBox folder.

http://anony.ws/di-MHJZ.png

You will also need to select where you want the torrents saved to. Select "Always Show Dialog on Manual Add" so you can choose where to save torrents to when you are home.

Also, you can select "Delete Loaded .torrents" to keep you DropBox neat and clean.

3> Download a torrent into your DropBox when you are away from home. (Note: This can be anywhere in your DropBox: does not need to be your public folder)

That's it!

So in a nutshell:

1.You are away from your home computer & want to DL something so it is ready for you when you get home, it's a new release and you want to start seeding, you found something you don't want to forget about, etc. etc.

2. You download a torrent & save it to your DropBox

3. Your home computer constantly scans the DropBox for added torrent files and instantly sees the torrent, adds to uTorrent, and starts downloading to your Default save location, then deletes the torrent file out of your DropBox.

4. Your torrent is waiting for you when you get home!

NOTES:
Do NOT use DropBox as your save location for torrents.

You will likely ultimately want to move your torrents to a different location but you do need to pick a single folder location as there is no way to specify it after you add the .torrent file into you DropBox.

If you don't have DropBox installed onto the remote computer, you can save the torrent file and use the Web interface or put DropBox on a memory stick (DropBox portable).

Excellent thinking sputnik04! Great thread!

jalenross
01-20-2014, 05:21 PM
Thanks for that tip. So simple and yet so elegant.

omahus
01-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Great idea, I´m gonna try it tomorrow.
Thanks!

MjPain
01-31-2014, 01:31 PM
Awesome! Have been connecting remotely to my download pc that sits without a monitor in the basement in order to download torrents/nzbs locally. Now there's no need anymore! Thanks :)

Summerisle
12-06-2014, 09:14 AM
What a great idea, thanks!

nwik
01-31-2015, 03:26 PM
Great idea thx.