PDA

View Full Version : Dutch to ban foreigners from cannabis coffee shops

zot
05-30-2011, 05:26 AM
Holland is to bar foreigners from its infamous cannabis-selling coffee shops.

Anti-drugs laws will see restrictions placed on who can use the shops, which allow patrons to buy and smoke drugs legally.

The rules, called ‘tourism suicide’ by some, could put an end to many of the tens of thousands of visits made by Britons to Amsterdam every year.

Under legislation spearheaded by far-right politicians, only Dutch residents will be able to enter the cannabis-selling premises.

Story continued on:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1392205/Dutch-ban-foreigners-cannabis-coffee-shops.html

We can only wonder what's next for the city of Amsterdam -- the world's biggest Usenet hub. Perhaps shutting down the Red Light district?

mjmacky
05-31-2011, 04:34 AM
So is this the fault of the voters, who're putting these idiots in office? It sounds like they are trying to kill those businesses. Not only wouldn't they be allowed to allow foreign customers, but you have to sign up an annual member of the coffee shop, and it's limited to 1,500 per year?! That's less than 5 unique customers a day. There's also the issue of establishing your citizenship, which means you may only go through the hassle of visiting one or two at the most because you don't have all your Dutch documents together in another part of town. Something sounds very fishy about that. Well, if the citizens allow this to happen, enjoy your new crime rate...

Disme
05-31-2011, 06:08 AM
Would they make an exception for Dutch-speaking neighboors???

mjmacky
05-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Would they make an exception for Dutch-speaking neighboors???

Well, they hate the British apparently, maybe they also hate Belgians. It's the brainchild of the anti-immigration party, are Dutch racists just selectively xenophobic?

megabyteme
05-31-2011, 10:41 PM
I am not so much "pro-pot" or "pro-prostitution", but I am all for individual freedoms. It looks to me like the government there is taking a turn against individual freedoms. I hope people rise up and fight for what they have.

mjmacky
05-31-2011, 11:34 PM
I read up on this story in a Dutch forum, and heard a lot of support for this. The sentiment I took away is they don't want people visiting their country if they are coming for the pot. Apparently they've already done this in border towns to the South, and they have dope dealers hanging out at the gates of high schools. I wish I remembered the name of the site, I want to link it here. You can get a sense of the closet-racism (or nationalism) they embody. Apparently, only Dutch pot smokers are decent people, British/Belgian/French pot smokers are a bad element and don't know how to enjoy the many wonders of Holland... oh fucking lord I was cracking up writing that.

windmill windmill something something something

clocker
06-01-2011, 12:54 AM
I used to enjoy Amsterdam when tulip shopping but fuck 'em.
Medical pot in CO is as good as anything I ever had in Holland and I'm not forced to buy flowers
along with.

OlegL
06-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Damn, that sucks. Weed is good, so foreigners should be allowed to smoke weed in Dutch coffee shops.

mjmacky
06-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Dammit Oleg you always come in really late to post the most mundane reply. Are you just a thread bumper when you're not trolling?

OlegL
06-08-2011, 07:32 AM
What did you want me to say? If I ever came to Holland, of course, I would prefer if they allowed me to smoke weed in their shops and that's because weed is just that good. Do you find this response less dull? Americans should legalize weed. Do you find this response less dull? Even though the Beat writer Burroughs rarely talked about weed in his novel "Junkie", it's interesting that when he was high on weed, he lost his sense of direction while driving a car. Does this response seem less dull to you? We should thank the hippie movement for making weed more popular. Do you still find the response dull? Just let me be myself, buddy...

mjmacky
06-08-2011, 11:11 AM
So you're giving it the shotgun approach now? You are not yourself, don't you know we know that?

Perhaps you should only post when you're high

zot
06-09-2011, 05:16 AM
I'm glad it got bumped because I forgot I posted it. :)

I think this may be just the first phase of a long-term "frog-in-boiling-water" strategy. Foreigners are always going to be the governments' preferred targets because they don't vote. Drug restrictions might then turn to Dutch citizens and get gradually ratcheted-up year after year. Slow and subtle so the citizenry hardly even notices.

Kind of like anti-file-sharing laws :(

mjmacky
06-09-2011, 07:40 AM
And somewhere behind it is always a corporate interest lurking and pulling strings, at least that's the standard these days

Biggles
06-10-2011, 06:31 PM
I am sure banning EU citizens from private businesses breaks all sorts of EU laws

Hologram
06-13-2011, 08:17 AM
I am sure banning EU citizens from private businesses breaks all sorts of EU laws

It probably does, but as we can see prom past examples EU doesn't give a shit.

pericles76
06-20-2011, 07:47 AM
Tourism will plummet

Something Else
06-22-2011, 06:42 PM

It probably does, but as we can see prom past examples EU doesn't give a shit.

Was that some kind of sleight on their sex industry. :dry:

Something Else
06-22-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm glad it got bumped because I forgot I posted it. :)

Typical stoner. Can't even be bothered to remember to fight his corner. :no:

I'm too wopped to care about it my self.