PDA

View Full Version : NZB's vs. Manually Searching

lightshow
06-04-2011, 12:22 AM
So when looking at all the NZB's sites, if there is something that I think is out there, what are the chances that all these indexing sites just haven't indexed it?

This would be in a a.b.boneless a.b.games / emulator section since I saw other releases of it in this section (hyperspin)

If there is a good chance that someone upped it and no one's indexed it, what's my best tool to search a category myself (If I can guess where it would be)?

zot
06-04-2011, 01:33 AM
What do you mean by "manually searching"? Downloading headers?

NZB index sites only index a small fraction of the material that gets posted to usenet newsgroups. You need to use a raw search engine --not an index site-- to find non-scene, rare or not-very-popular material. A search engine like Binsearch.info or mysterbin.com is a good place to start.

Regarding Random Nut: not seen in years; could it be that the guy from Earth Station 5 made true on his threat?

JustDOSE
06-04-2011, 01:51 AM
yes i find post all the time that arent indexed by popular nzb sites by manually searching sites like http://www.binsearch.info/index.php?q=&m=&max=100&adv_g=&adv_age=999&adv_sort=date&adv_col=on&minsize=&maxsize=&font=&postdate=

Beck38
06-04-2011, 02:27 AM
Between the 'auto' types like Binsearch and the like, vr human generated sites (Newzbin2 and Nzbmatrix), to really do super searching, the auto types are better, but....

They tend to get 'skips' off headers (gee, just like everyone else), so look for the 'originally generated/posted' nzb's rather than going for nzb's generated from the collected headers.

I've almost started a thread here about how bad Newzbin2 has become (or rather, now it's always been since it fled the UK). The number of things lacking nfo's is particularly bad, especially when that nfo is easily found by utilizing the 'raw' feature. It gets me to thinking that they're trying to automate things rather than recruiting more humans to do the work. Gotten really bad.

The upshot is, there's no 'golden' way out there any more, like Newbin(1) was a couple years ago. One has to bring all the tools to the show, A/B things, and hope for the best (although IMHO, Nzbmatrix is by far the best thing going out there today).

zot
06-04-2011, 02:50 AM
Downloading the original (posted-to-NNTP) NZB file (if available) is always my first choice. I don't understand why search engines like Binsearch don't let us download this NZB directly from the site -- instead of having to download an NZB of an NZB using a newsreader.

If Newzbin(2) is routinely skipping NFOs and making other mistakes, then that's a clue they might be using automated scripts to build "reports" instead of human editors. I'm sure that is the direction that everything will go eventually, as running code to generate NZBs is a great deal cheaper than hiring an ever-growing staff of people, as the original Newzbin reportedly did.

Beck38
06-04-2011, 04:20 AM
I don't believe they ever 'hired' anyone, they simply gave away access for free to the 'editors', just as they continue to do today, so the cost is simply they are 'out' the $.50cents or so per week per editor. Exactly how many there were at the top is a very good question, but I doubt they had more than 500 or so.

There's far too many folks trying to make a 'business' out of posting (passworded) on usenet these days, though. I'm surprised that their web sites haven't been targeted for 'take-down' from some gov't.

zot
06-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Court records revealed that Newzbin was raking in close to a million dollars a year - and could have easily afforded to hire several full-time staffers. But maybe the guy preferred to beg and plead for volunteers, I don't know.

I think the passworded "spam" will be with us from now on. We probably need to make more complaints about it .... somewhere. I don't know what sites the **AA's read these days. I remember there were complaints on Slyck a few years ago about so called "scam sites" that promised movie and music download subscriptions and sold P2P software (Kazaa, etc) that was otherwise available for free. Within a few months a bunch of these sites were busted, and the press release even labeled them "scam sites" just like P2P users did. And then Mulve was shut down almost immediately after it appeared on Torrentfreak. So basically, the copyright cops get their clues on 'who to target next' from reading P2P sites.

I was thinking that there could be considered 5 types of NZB sites:

A1. completely raw search listing every article posted.
A2. raw search w/ auto-grouping by file
A3. raw search w/ auto-grouping by posted set of files (Binsearch.info, NZBindex.nl)

B. auto-indexing (Newznab, NZBs.org)

C. human indexing (Newzbin[1])