PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking the rep system

IdolEyes787
06-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Bear with me .

Rep as it now stands is obviously entirely the domain of traders being of extremely little value to anyone else. However the most oft used way to "gain" rep is to do some mass invite giveaway to quote/unquote low-level valueless trackers (see here (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/434601-indietorrents-bmtorrents) for example).Silly thing is while the trader essentially nothing to demonstrate greater trustworthiness to his peers.:mellow:

Besides the annoying fact of giving then simply becoming another means to an end , a member can hypothetically set himself up to appear to others traders as someone( see rep points) to have confidence it that they won't scam you when there are no real indications to that being the slightest bit true.

Therefore I purpose if it's going to still be used here that rep be gained exclusively becasue of completed trades ,ideally with some ( likely not possible ) system where the number of rep points gained is directed tied to the level of the trackers being traded -ie 10 for level 10, 9 for 9 etc.

tesco
06-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Taken from the FAQ:

BT Rep is a way to gauge a user's reputation amongst other traders. It's not 100% fool proof, but is still one of the key things to look at when trading with a user.

The idea behind it is that when you trade with another user and the trade goes through without a hitch you give them a rep point.

DO NOT give rep points for any other reason.
If a user messages you asking you to trade rep points, or to give them a rep point before going through with a trade, report them (and don't give them the point!): Click Here

The way BT Rep works is explained in this thread: Click Here

I agree the original use for by rep was for TRADE experiences and shouldn't be used that way.
Not sure how we are supposed to enforce that though...

KFlint
06-10-2011, 03:46 AM

I don't see any simple solution to this, though it would give much more accuracy to this system....perhaps first thing that come to my mind is a form included in each started thread of the trade section which would be mandatory to fill by the thread starter before closing a thread. Would be asking if the trade was complete, with who and what was traded exactly. They would have to close their current trade threads (3 simultaneously currently) to be able start a new thread, you need the data of the wto to generate the list of trackers trade and their value.

Staff could see detailed stats of what was done by a member while others would have something more general, like the highest level traded etc....

I can see it quite clearly but it's a great deal of work and I imagine how it would work with those struggling with english...!

But do we really want to do help the traders more than we actually do. I'd just remove this section if it was only for me, I said it for a long time. For the couple past years it hasn't really bring active posters on the board anyway, just people here for ''business''.

Skiz
06-10-2011, 04:42 AM
Taken from the FAQ:

BT Rep is a way to gauge a user's reputation amongst other traders. It's not 100% fool proof, but is still one of the key things to look at when trading with a user.

The idea behind it is that when you trade with another user and the trade goes through without a hitch you give them a rep point.

DO NOT give rep points for any other reason.
If a user messages you asking you to trade rep points, or to give them a rep point before going through with a trade, report them (and don't give them the point!): Click Here

The way BT Rep works is explained in this thread: Click Here

I agree the original use for by rep was for TRADE experiences and shouldn't be used that way.

The rep used to only be active in the TZrades section. There wasn't even a rep button with the Invites Giveaway section. When did that change and who changed it? :dabs:

IdolEyes787
06-10-2011, 12:09 PM
That would probably be the simplest solution.

KFlint
06-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Could have the side effects of seeing more members attempting to trade their low level trackers instead of giving them away to boost their rep. Which would end up to pretty much the same.

We'll see...

IdolEyes787
06-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Judging by the present state of things I don't think people would still really see any value in attempt to trade lower level trackers.
Actually the thing that bothered me and got me to waste everyone's time with this thread is the hypocrisy in people like the one I used in the example in my first post.
You want to trade then trade nothing I can do about it but don't also use the invite section for your mercenary purposes.

Btw I am aware that people are still getting invites regardless of the giver's motivation and obviously to some it doesn't matter as getting into some shite bt site is more important than questioning your own ethics.

KFlint
06-10-2011, 03:26 PM
You're probably right about the low level trading thing. I was trying to look at consequences of changing it, but it might be just fine. The offer will probably drop in the giveaway section but anybody can have his requests fill rather easily already with a good behavior here.

tesco
06-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Taken from the FAQ:

The rep used to only be active in the TZrades section. There wasn't even a rep button with the Invites Giveaway section. When did that change and who changed it? :dabs:
Not sure when or who, I was probably asked by somebody at some point, could be years ago...
Fixed now, I think this pretty much guarantees that it will only be used for trades.

anon
06-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Avalanche of "where's the rep button now" posts in three, two, one...