PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried Alvotech VPS?

the_wind
06-13-2011, 07:44 PM
I've been searching/shopping around for an affordable VPS solution with a datacenter in Europe. For now, my plans for VPS is just to use it as a seedbox but with full root access to the OS. So, I came across Alvotech GmbH provider in Germany. Their prices are just too good to be true: http://www.alvotech.de/vserver/compare/. And I could not find anything on FST that mentions Alvotech. They started in 2009 and for €23.40/6 months (€3.90/month) you can get the following:

512MB guaranteed/2048MB burstable memory
30GB storage
First 1TB on 1Gbps, and then throttle to 10Mbps unmetered (upon request, they can add another 1TB on 1Gbps for €6.90)
Linux-VServer/Custom web-based control panel
Servers in KPN EuroRings data center in Düsseldorf Germany

I could try this package for 2 weeks without any obligation to subscribe for 6 months, but before I do that, I just wanted to ask if anybody had experience with this provider and could comment on the quality of their service?

I should also mention that the limitations of the above package will perfectly suit my needs since I'm not a heavy torrent user and can offload the storage limitations to my home server through NFS.

Hologram
06-13-2011, 07:57 PM
You sound like a salesman.

the_wind
06-13-2011, 08:24 PM
You sound like a salesman.
I wish I was, so I would not have to look for the cheapest offering. ;)

BTW, found them through LowEndBox (package (http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/alvotech-e19-50-512mb-linux-vserver-vps-in-germany/)) that seem to provide good pointers for a cheap hosting/vps solutions, but cannot be compared to a friendly advise from a fellow FST member. :fst:

unoriginal
06-14-2011, 07:28 AM
The metered to unmetered thing makes it sound like they resell OVH. Why not at least look for someone that gives you completely unmetered bandwidth? There are a lot of places that offer that these days.

the_wind
06-14-2011, 07:07 PM
The metered to unmetered thing makes it sound like they resell OVH. Why not at least look for someone that gives you completely unmetered bandwidth? There are a lot of places that offer that these days.
I completely agree with you that unmetered is the best option for a VPS and . Unfortunately, such offers attract the heaviest torrent users and they tend to overload the server and will negatively affect your throughput since the bandwidth is shared.

Another question I have for the community is what countries for the datacenter can I safely consider when looking for a VPS provider? I do not want to receive copyright letters and have heard that Netherlands is a good place to consider. But what about others? UK? Germany? France? Should I stay away from them or not?

unoriginal
06-15-2011, 03:11 AM
I completely agree with you that unmetered is the best option for a VPS and . Unfortunately, such offers attract the heaviest torrent users and they tend to overload the server and will negatively affect your throughput since the bandwidth is shared.

Another question I have for the community is what countries for the datacenter can I safely consider when looking for a VPS provider? I do not want to receive copyright letters and have heard that Netherlands is a good place to consider. But what about others? UK? Germany? France? Should I stay away from them or not?

Evoboxes offers a 100mb plan on their 2Gbs servers.

http://evoboxes.net/hosting.html

They claim to put 20 users on a server and limit each one to 100mb each. So theoretically you would have all that to yourself. They are also located in NL and have really decent support from what I've read. I'm thinking of getting one of their 1Gbs slots when my current VPS expires next month.

CQ1ST
06-15-2011, 04:05 AM
I don't see how an evobox compares to four dollars

unoriginal
06-15-2011, 04:27 AM
The OP never specified a price point, just mentioned what that particular provider was charging. If you go cheap with a seedbox or slot you will generally get what you pay for. That is to say servers overloaded with users in order to make a profit and really poor speeds because everyone is competing for the same bandwidth. Step up to a $15-20/mo budget and you will probably be much happier with the choices available.

the_wind
06-15-2011, 12:21 PM
The OP never specified a price point, just mentioned what that particular provider was charging. If you go cheap with a seedbox or slot you will generally get what you pay for. That is to say servers overloaded with users in order to make a profit and really poor speeds because everyone is competing for the same bandwidth. Step up to a $15-20/mo budget and you will probably be much happier with the choices available.
I completely agree that in most cases you'll get what you paid for. That's why Alvotech's offer looks very suspicious to me and I wanted to find anybody who used them before. There are many providers that offer VPS's in $15-20/mo range, however you need to read the fine-print since most of them do not allow running torrents. Evoboxes are too steep for me to spend £22 (~$36) a month for their lowest package.

I'm going to try KnowinServers for a month since I hear good reviews on them and in the long run they will give me good discounts on long-term subscriptions.

Hologram
06-17-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't see how an evobox compares to four dollars

Me neither. :unsure:

unoriginal
06-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Evoboxes was never supposed to be a direct comparison. Just an example of what is out there. And apparently the OP didn't think the original post had much value as they ended probably ended up spending a bit more than $4 for Knowinservers.

Thelen
06-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Indeed. Probably came to realise that no, $4 for that VPS isn't a scam, but yes the performance will be nearly useless for seeding..

bigoldbrute
03-12-2012, 03:38 PM
I own a vps (Amsterdam NL; plan XL) there, use it as a proxy for some cheap anonymity and as a seedbox. Have to admit that [as a seedwhore] it is far from ideal, mostly because low (capped?) upload speed - never seen more than 2MiB/s. Download speed is far more better, iirc seen up to 30MiB/s. Maybe its virtual hdd issue, but i doubt it.

I would say alvotech is poor mans seedbox ; ). I push smth like 50gigs a day with this, imo good enough to keep up ratio.

Cons: weak up speed; average machine speed
Pros: price & its a full blown VPS, not just seedbox.