PDA

View Full Version : Tweaks And Tips For Win Xp

.hack
11-11-2003, 01:15 AM
we all want to keep our comps in tip-top shape and i hope this thread will help some of you.
please add any and everyone of your tweaks for windows xp here.
Note-most of this thread was intended for noobs

The Basics

Run the "diskcleanup" utility.- Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\DiskCleanup

Run "scandisk"- Start\Mycomputer\right click on "localdisk"\properties\Tools\error checking

Run "DiskDefragmenter"- Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Disk Defragmenter

Scan for viruses- It is necessary to to a full system scan atleast once a month and check for updates regulary.

Adjust Display Properties

adjusting the display properties can free up wasted ram.

(on the desktop), right-click and goto "properties", goto "appearance" tab and under "windows and buttons" click "windows classic style".

(still under appearance tab), select "effects", uncheck all except " hide underlined letters....."

choose either no background or a very non graphics intensive.

under "settings" tab select the lowest bit color quality.

Start up

These tweaks will improve startup times.

1.) Start\run\msconfig\startup tab\uncheck all

2.) Download microsoft "bootvis" from micrsoft.com

Spy\adware removal

download adaware 6- or another spware+adware removal program

delete all spyware and adware... scan after you dl something

.hack
11-11-2003, 01:34 AM
hey mods you think i could get this pinned? :lol:

.hack
11-11-2003, 01:56 AM
Installing many programs on you computer can often clutter your registry with unnecessary programs running when your computer starts up. This will slow down your machine and take up memory.

Start Regedit. (start\run\regedit)
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Once there, locate any entry's on the right. You can identify the program by the path to the executable. Find programs that you can live without starting up from the list.
Right click on them and select Delete
You may also want to navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
Delete unnecessary programs.
Reboot your computer.

.hack
11-11-2003, 01:58 AM
Prefetch is a new and very useful technique in Windows XP. However, after using XP some time, the prefetch folder can get full of rarely used or obsolete links which can slow down your computer noticeably. My suggestion is: open C(system drive):/windows/prefetch, delete all files (or at least those more than 3 weeks old), reboot. I recommended that you do this every month.

666_SLIPKNOT_666
11-11-2003, 04:01 AM
You won't get it pinned. This shit is all over the forums. :-"

Did you copy this from somewhere? Mainly Astalavista?

HeavyMetalParkingLot
11-11-2003, 04:42 AM
he took the time to at least try to help, you on the other have contributed nothing with this post in the tips section..........

Cotton
11-11-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by .hack@11 November 2003 - 01:15
1.) Start\run\msconfig\startup tab\uncheck all
This is a extremely stupid thing to do...

stop everything from loading on startup means...

Your virus scanner will not start, and hence automatic scanning of downloads and anything else ur scanner does will not be done and this would do more damage than its worth, considering it would probably make ur loading take like 2 seconds shorter...

And this is just your virus scanner now lets say you have a modem like mine if you stop the modem driver from starting up(Which is installed and isnt hidden from the msconfig list) then you would not be able to connect to the internet.

DO NOT DO THIS!!... Unless you know what your doing.(eg. not a newbie)

You said this advice was for a newbie, telling them this could mess up their comp and they wouldnt know how to fix it!!!!

BUT, dont get me wrong the rest of your post is nice information to know for a newbie.

Cotton
11-11-2003, 08:40 AM
If you want some tweaks, that will improve your comps speed and customize it to do what u want then go HERE (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm)

.hack
11-12-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Cotton+11 November 2003 - 08:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cotton @ 11 November 2003 - 08:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-.hack@11 November 2003 - 01:15
1.) Start&#092;run&#092;msconfig&#092;startup tab&#092;uncheck all
This is a extremely stupid thing to do...

stop everything from loading on startup means...

Your virus scanner will not start, and hence automatic scanning of downloads and anything else ur scanner does will not be done and this would do more damage than its worth, considering it would probably make ur loading take like 2 seconds shorter...

And this is just your virus scanner now lets say you have a modem like mine if you stop the modem driver from starting up(Which is installed and isnt hidden from the msconfig list) then you would not be able to connect to the internet.

DO NOT DO THIS&#33;&#33;... Unless you know what your doing.(eg. not a newbie)

You said this advice was for a newbie, telling them this could mess up their comp and they wouldnt know how to fix it&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

BUT, dont get me wrong the rest of your post is nice information to know for a newbie. [/b][/quote]
i only said "uncheck all" because i didnt want to say "uncheck things that you know you dont need at startup"
because a noob might think he needs everything on that list or something and they are not going to know the difference between things they do need and they dont need.

but ya your right you shouldnt remove virus scanners form startup.
But i dont know a single person i asked that has a modem driver in there startup..... :huh:
so i didnt even consider that

and once again this post is a list of tips not a list of things that will make your comp run 500% faster and more efficient.

I.am
11-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by .hack@12 November 2003 - 12:40
i only said "uncheck all" because i didnt want to say "uncheck things that you know you dont need at startup"
because a noob might think he needs everything on that list or something and they are not going to know the difference between things they do need and they dont need.
and... you expect noobs to know this

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER&#092;Software&#092;Microsoft&#092;Windows&#092;CurrentVersion&#092;Run
Once there, locate any entry&#39;s on the right. You can identify the program by the path to the executable. Find programs that you can live without starting up from the list.
Right click on them and select Delete

-------------------

Here is some advice. Always suggest to backup the registry before you do any changes. Never Play with registry if you dont know what you are doing.

Secondly, yes you shouldn&#39;t uncheck all. See which program you want at the startup and uncheck the one&#39;s you dont. That statement says it all. Just because someone is new to computers doesnt mean they can mess up with their settings. Dont you remember how you first learned? Someone told you or you read it from somewhere? Well then take a step ahead and let people know how it works instead of just stating it.

Anyhow, you did an effort in posting few things and that is appreciated. But these are very common, and mostly everyone knows. (Even all newbies)

Horsemen
11-12-2003, 11:17 PM
If you want to know what you can disable at start-up.You go to Pacs-Portal. They will tell what safe to disable and what not.He is the site. http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

Horsemen
11-12-2003, 11:23 PM
You can also try this site. http://greatis.com/regrun3appdatabase.htm

.hack
11-13-2003, 01:10 AM
omfg... its not that big of deal.. you can always put things back in startup
using msconfig

Add Tips for win xp here

iHadYourMomLastNight
11-13-2003, 02:15 AM
:blink: nice tips .hack
they are all overreacting. ive played with selective start up for years andit&#39;s a great way to speed up and diagnose your pc. so wat if you fuk it up, make a back up or just start from scratch. experience is the best teach......maybe you shoulda said that it can cause probs, but i still thinx it&#39;s a great tip. alot of people are unaware of regedit and selective start up and should be if they are going to play wit pc&#39;s. lata :blink:

.hack
11-13-2003, 03:52 AM
stop files from going to "my recent documents"

Normally when you open or access a document or file it is added to the list of recent documents on the Start Menu. This tweak will stop files from being added to the list.

Open your registry and find the key below.

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value called &#39;NoRecentDocsHistory&#39; set the value to equal &#39;1&#39; to enable the restriction.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart

bob_the_alien
11-13-2003, 04:42 AM
A tip,

Go to My Computer icon on desktop, right click, and hit properties,
Once System Properties pops up, go to Advanced tab.
You can uncheck everything in that box, unless you’re using themes and Visual styles. Then leave Visual Styles checked.

I usually uncheck everything, but if you do want something, just leave it check, it’s fairly self-explanatory.

I.am
11-13-2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by bob_the_alien@12 November 2003 - 23:42
A tip,

You can uncheck everything in that box, unless you’re using themes and Visual styles. Then leave Visual Styles checked.

I usually uncheck everything, but if you do want something, just leave it check, it’s fairly self-explanatory.
Which OS? Obviously not XP pro (home not sure).

clocker
11-13-2003, 05:44 AM
If you really want to help out nOObs, why not just post the link to BlackViper&#39;s website (http://www.blackviper.com/)?

If they are willing to spend some time they can not only learn what to do, but also WHY.

90% of these tips are from his site anyway.

bob_the_alien
11-13-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by I.am+13 November 2003 - 01:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (I.am @ 13 November 2003 - 01:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bob_the_alien@12 November 2003 - 23:42
A tip,

You can uncheck everything in that box, unless you’re using themes and Visual styles.&nbsp; Then leave Visual Styles checked.

Which OS? Obviously not XP pro (home not sure). [/b][/quote]
Yes, it works on XP Pro, that&#39;s what I&#39;m currently using, it also works on Home.

Princessgirls
11-13-2003, 12:22 PM
i dont like messing with my system registry. The program mentioned on a different post...RegScrubXP is awesome. Good for dumbasses like me who dont like to fool around with stuff they dont know much about.

I.am
11-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by clocker@13 November 2003 - 00:44
If you really want to help out nOObs, why not just post the link to BlackViper&#39;s website (http://www.blackviper.com/)?

If they are willing to spend some time they can not only learn what to do, but also WHY.

90% of these tips are from his site anyway.
You are right. Posting tips here would just make this too long and hard to search for a specific one for anyone.

Almost everyone goes to that website so why not just refer people to that.

boyzeee
11-13-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by .hack@13 November 2003 - 22:32
fuck u nikita
:huh: whats nikita done?

i think that playing with the registry is just asking for trouble if you not sure of what you are doing, I get so many callouts from people who have tweaked and fiddled needlessly and then they find to their utter surprise that their pc wont boot&#33; easy money to me but again again they do it :blink: if you unsure just do the basics, defrag, disk cleanup, diskcheck/scandisk and keeping ya pc up to date with drivers and software patches. and even updating drivers can cause issues in the wrong hands&#33; installing the completely wrong driver for their hardware even after windows has said this driver may not work with your hardware&#33; and then blank screen or not booting at all&#33;. my advice is dont touch if you dont know what you are doing or at least get yourself clued up first and backup your pc. ;)

boyzeee
11-13-2003, 11:06 PM
i not complaining, some of your tips are great, i just think that people should be aware that tweaking the registry can have bad results to the point where pc&#39;s dont even boot. :P chill man...chill ;)

Lamsey
11-13-2003, 11:18 PM
I agree. Chill.

muchspl2
11-13-2003, 11:18 PM
most of its great but i concur on the registry, when I was younger I read a post like yoursabout cleaning up the regestry and said, wow I got too much stuff in my registry, think ill clean house, ended up having to f-disc just to reload windows, and i had to do that 2 times
long story short, backup before you mess with the registry

.hack
11-13-2003, 11:30 PM
ya well duh// i thought everyone already knew to back up before u mess with shit like that :huh:

muchspl2
11-13-2003, 11:33 PM
not the person that reads your thread, you were writing this for n00b&#39;s right :rolleyes:

Lamsey
11-13-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by .hack@13 November 2003 - 23:30
ya well duh// i thought everyone already knew to back up before u mess with shit like that :huh:
You said it yourself, it&#39;s a n00b guide. You can&#39;t assume that n00bs will know things like that.

.hack
11-14-2003, 12:14 AM
ya ur right

iHadYourMomLastNight
11-14-2003, 12:57 AM
:blink: geee hack i don&#39;t thinx they like you or your tips hahahaha :blink:
i thinx everybody needs to chilll and SMOKE EM IF YA GOT EM&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :blink:

i checked out that Black Viper Site....most excellent&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
here&#39;s another one with some nice tips Windows Tips (http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/index.htm)
:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Kunal
11-15-2003, 08:16 PM
you posted (errm lets be plolite) sh*t off other peoples site, so hopefully this topic will be closed...... (and noone will keep it alive&#33;)

iHadYourMomLastNight
11-15-2003, 09:06 PM
:blink:
i thinx he&#39;s on GLU :blink:
:blink: (elmer&#39;s maybe) :blink:

Rocktron
11-16-2003, 01:06 PM
Hm <_<

Bye bye&#33;

Afronaut
11-16-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by .hack@15 November 2003 - 22:14
i hate:

beaners
niggers
canadians
french
middle eastern
preps
fags
ugly girls
fat girls
girls that dont like anul
bitches
half breeds
niggers
niggers
beaners
beaners
beaners
and.....umm....u&#33;
You are such a n00b yourself.
Your last post aint funny at all.
Most of your post in this thread are just pissing me off too.
Are you 12 y.o. or something?

Very immature.

I hope they BAN you out of these forums.

-GS-

Kunal
11-16-2003, 01:09 PM
.hack, you called somone a tw*t yesterday, you&#39;ve been offensive before, today your racist, your already under moderation and your warning level is very high, yet you carry on :lol:

it was nice knowing you.... oh hold up a second, it wasnt&#33; ;)