PDA

View Full Version : Moving music files (many utorrents) from PC to laptop?

El_Selb
06-19-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm faced with a bit of a predicament I'm looking for help with. I'm looking to transfer a load of music that I've downloaded via utorrent from my PC to my new laptop. Forgive me as I'm not the most technically minded so I'll explain as best I can!

I used isohunt and then utorrent to find and download the original tunes. I tried to copy all the utorrent files on my PC to an external harddrive, to then move over to my laptop. But when I click on the utorrent files on my laptop it just opens up the Utorrent package to start downloading the tunes again, rather than opening up the downloaded tunes in Itunes.

I don't want to have to go through my whole music catalogue again and download the tunes, that'll take forever. Is there any way of getting all the tunes and I currently have in Itunes on my PC onto my laptop?

Many thanks

teflon05
06-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Sounds like you copied the .torrent files instead of the actual music (MP3 I assume) files. Look for the actual music files, in your Music folder or wherever the default download location is, that you have set in utorrent. These are what you want to transfer to your laptop.

anon
06-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Sounds like you copied the .torrent files instead of the actual music (MP3 I assume) files. Look for the actual music files, in your Music folder or wherever the default download location is, that you have set in utorrent. These are what you want to transfer to your laptop.

Pretty much. .torrent files are just metadata. What you want is the actual files.

If you still wish to seed them (which is very recommendable), bear in mind iTunes is infamous for editing the tags in MP3 files, which will cause your torrent client to redownload them over and over, as their unique hash is modified. I don't know if that behavior can be disabled, but many people work around that by creating a duplicate of their music collection to seed, or simply using a different media player.