PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones

Pages : [1] 2

clocker
06-21-2011, 05:13 AM
The first season of HBO's Game of Thrones just ended and I must say, it was pretty goddamn excellent.
A complex story with a variety of well developed characters (a good thing, given the deathrate), spectacular set design and HBO's trademark vulgarity.

Watch it from the beginning, immediately, if not sooner.

Disme
06-21-2011, 06:34 AM
I've been waiting for the season to end to start watching. It looks like some tv-show I might appreciate, allhough 'historical' shows aren!t really my cup of tea. But I've been hearing/reading nothing but good things about Game of Thrones, so I Will give it a try.

clocker
06-21-2011, 12:05 PM
If anything, GoT is a political thriller dressed in swords and spiced with a touch of magic...it definitely is not a normal fantasy story.

IdolEyes787
06-21-2011, 03:09 PM
I sort of watched the initial episode when it came out but I didn't see anyone worth cheering for so gave it a pass.
Clearly one episode does not a series make but is there any character worth cheering for ?

clocker
06-21-2011, 03:50 PM
I sort of watched the initial episode when it came out but I didn't see anyone worth cheering for so gave it a pass.
Clearly one episode does not a series make but is there any character worth cheering for ?
The first couple of eps are used to introduce a vast array of characters and define the world they live in, so "bonding" with any particular person is difficult.
After that though, things pick up quickly, the major plot points are more character driven and favorites are emerging.
But...don't be fooled.

If you've avoided spoilers so far, I shan't ruin any surprises.
Suffice to say, GoT is relentlessly unsentimental (so far, my favorite aspect of the show) and Peter Dinklage is marvelously entertaining.
As is Emilia Clarke.

It would be an advantage to watch the series as one (which I did in a two day marathon with Rome) and avoid the week long delays but I'd wager that most wouldn't be able to wait that long for season two.

swizZ8
06-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Best "soap" i have seen so far. :cool:

mr. nails
06-21-2011, 06:11 PM
loving it. currently on ep 7 and the show is quite good. unlike idol as soon as i saw the 1st ep i was hooked.

Cabalo
06-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Ok, you convinved me, I'll grab a few episodes.

brightsid
06-21-2011, 08:03 PM
You have to remember only one thing in this story the characters are becoming heroes and then they have to die painful :naughty:. So if you have to choose a character to bond with choose the ones you normally hate.

The only real disadvantage is that it is a tv production and will be difficult to presents the battles of the following books (Just pre-ordered the 5th in amazon). Besides that it's the best production ever made for TV

Fuck and kill the Lannisters. All of them

IdolEyes787
06-21-2011, 09:45 PM
You have to remember only one thing in this story the characters are becoming heroes and then they have to die painful :naughty:. So if you have to choose a character to bond with choose the ones you normally hate.

The only real disadvantage is that it is a tv production and will be difficult to presents the battles of the following books (Just pre-ordered the 5th in amazon). Besides that it's the best production ever made for TV

The problem with that is I prefer my heroes to come out on top and my ending to be happy. I mean if I want to be depressed and see evil triumph over good I will just turn on the news or browse the bt section.

megabyteme
06-21-2011, 10:21 PM

But...but...I've been cheering for the Lannisters. Make up your mind. :ermm:

clocker
06-21-2011, 10:23 PM
The problem with that is I prefer my heroes to come out on top and my ending to be happy.
Still grieving over Two and a Half Men, eh?

Edit: I've already said that Thrones is "relentlessly unsentimental" and if you weren't kidding about your heroes winning and happy endings, don't look here.
Those plucky little hobbits from the Lord of the Rings epic would have been gutted and roasting on spits within the opening credits of GoT, Gandalf would have made all his prophetic speeches whilst getting a hummer and Elves would have stood aside, taking bets on the war's outcome.
Would have been a much better trilogy if these things had actually happened...

I haven't read the books (still on the fence about whether or not to begin) but it's already obvious that the usual tropes will not prevail in this series... the hero is NOT safe, good intentions are useless and apparently minor characters can/will have major effects on the storyline.

Dammit, I have to wait a year for it to start up again?

IdolEyes787
06-22-2011, 02:20 AM
The problem with that is I prefer my heroes to come out on top and my ending to be happy.
Still grieving over Two and a Half Men, eh?

Edit: I've already said that Thrones is "relentlessly unsentimental" and if you weren't kidding about your heroes winning and happy endings, don't look here.
Those plucky little hobbits from the Lord of the Rings epic would have been gutted and roasting on spits within the opening credits of GoT, Gandalf would have made all his prophetic speeches whilst getting a hummer and Elves would have stood aside, taking bets on the war's outcome.

I haven't read the books (still on the fence about whether or not to begin) but it's already obvious that the usual tropes will not prevail in this series... the hero is NOT safe, good intentions are useless and apparently minor characters can/will have major effects on the storyline.

Dammit, I have to wait a year for it to start up again?

I actually thought the LotR movies were mostly simplistic and childish and paled greatly compared to the books that beget them.As for heroes not being safe that is so now commonplace as to be the stuff of parody ( see Feast).
If that hadn't come from you ,someone who's opinion I respect, I would take it as more adolescent fanboy rambling which seems to rule the day in bt land.

Making things turn out bad or heroes less than praiseworthy is not adult or even necessarily interesting, it is simply a device that certain sectors of humanity seem to prefer over feeling good.I'm not saying that everything has to be sunshine and roses and big eyed puppies but whatever occurs in the interim things should end on some note that doesn't leave me wishing to slit my wrists. Take for example since I used it in another thread, Glory. Everyone dies but not everything is lost.
That I'm fine with. Unlike something oft praise like Requiem for a Dream which is just a better structured essay in Eli Roth type degradation.

Btw having not seen most of Game of Thrones I could be entirely off base in my criticism since obviously different people are going to view certain aspects differently and maybe it's not all nihilism,sadism and despair.

megabyteme
06-22-2011, 02:41 AM

... the hero is NOT safe, good intentions are useless and apparently minor characters can/will have major effects on the storyline.

Love the rewrite idea, clocker. Glad to hear you are watching as I always enjoy your comments on such shows.

July 11-(ish?, from memory) is when Breaking Bad finally returns. WOOT!

Making things turn out bad or heroes less than praiseworthy is not adult or even necessarily interesting, it is simply a device that certain sectors of humanity seem to prefer over feeling good.I'm not saying that everything has to be sunshine and roses and big eyed puppies but whatever occurs in the interim things should end on some note that doesn't leave me wishing to slit my wrists. Take for example since I used it in another thread, Glory. Everyone dies but not everything is lost.
That I'm fine with. Unlike something oft praise like Requiem for a Dream which is just a better structured essay in Eli Roth type degradation.

Btw having not seen most of Game of Thrones I could be entirely off base in my criticism since obviously different people are going to view certain aspects differently and maybe it's not all nihilism,sadism and despair.

GoT stands out, for me, due to its massive cast, with a followable, yet complex interactions across a vast landscape. The story seems not to be about evil getting its way, but that each character serves their own best interest- without necessarily being all good, nor all bad (largely). There are no saints in the mix, but the calling of power (different definitions apply to different characters) brings out a darkside in the majority. Also, once easy-going individuals are eventually called into doing things that seem out-of-character for them initially. We don't so much see lines of good and evil, but the ebb and flow of power changing hands as circumstances change, and individuals are no longer able to control what they had.

It's good, adult-oriented fun, has an incredible budget ($10 million an episode, I believe), and is able to tell a story that follows the real novels FAR more than a low-budget production, or a 3 hour movie ever could.

Sit back, grab a box of tissues (for whichever bodily fluid you tend to spill while watching adult-oriented shows), and enjoy. :)

clocker
06-22-2011, 05:01 AM

Just watch it, fer crissake.
I think you'll like it.

The whole "good guys all get killed" aspect has been overemphasized (even by me, I guess) and nihilistic is certainly not a description I'd use.
If there's an adult slant to the story (of which, keep in mind, I have no real knowledge...yet), it's that there are consequences to everything and sooner or later, every one pays the price.

Please, watch the damn thing (isn't winter about to set in again up there? So, you've got the time) and then we can talk.

brightsid
06-22-2011, 06:36 AM
But...but...I've been cheering for the Lannisters. Make up your mind. :ermm:
as a redhair fanboy or as just a pure voyeur?

:D

megabyteme
06-22-2011, 06:45 AM
I've been taking notice lately of my (normal) reaction to dislike characters who cause turmoil, such as the Lannisters, and how "everything would have gone well if it hadn't been for them". However, it is that conflict that makes shows interesting. I think we internally find it painful to watch because in our own lives that sort of underhandedness is anything but "interesting". It is all of the backstabbing, and power imbalances (often through wealth) that make life difficult.

I shun such interactions, and people, IRL like them, but am drawn in while despising them on-screen. :)

brightsid
06-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Ok you are right they are more interesting than the straight fighting for good Ned especially for the developing of the story.

On the other hand if I was the story teller Danny's "It's not your screams I want, only your life" would be addressed to a different recipient

mr. nails
06-22-2011, 08:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajMzpiyZ4GA

Rart
06-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Making things turn out bad or heroes less than praiseworthy is not adult or even necessarily interesting, it is simply a device that certain sectors of humanity seem to prefer over feeling good.I'm not saying that everything has to be sunshine and roses and big eyed puppies but whatever occurs in the interim things should end on some note that doesn't leave me wishing to slit my wrists.

Idol - I think one of the biggest differences between GRRM's AGOT (and the other books in the series) as opposed to the other authors' standard fare is that he isn't afraid to kill off a main or "good" (and this line will further continue to be blurred in the upcoming seasons) character if it serves to further the story. He isn't just killing off the "good guys" willy nilly in order to make a statement or just to show simply that he can - it's always for a very particular reason. Without giving too much away, the death of certain characters will set off events for many books to come, and the further you go, the clearer it becomes that he killed off certain characters with a purpose in mind. And GRRM can get away with it as well - unlike other novels in which one or two characters make up the bulk of the novel, there is so much diversity and richness in the characters and their development in AGOT that another one can easily pick up the pace.

And that is what makes this series so excellent - yes, it is based around a tried and true medieval fantasy setting shared by so many other books - but that's where the similarities end. There are fantastical elements - but only light touches here and there (in fact there is practically no signs of magic until the last few episodes) but it only serves to supplement the storyline, never as a substitute. There is no "magic saves the day" or and it doesn't any character out of ridiculously impossible situations. There are no archetypical "heroes" or "villains", no cliched love story, no hero overcoming insurmountable odds, etc. etc. Just a brilliant story of politics, intrigue and action woven through a massive array of characters that while all seemingly so different and so separate, always manage to intertwine in a way that just seems natural. Simply put, this is an excellent adaptation of a group of books that many directors shunned off as "unfilmable", yet comes off as one of, if not the best series on television.

The books are a great read as well. I'm not quite done with them, they are certainly far more dense than the TV series, but provide a lot more background to the world itself, in addition to clues to the many mysteries and unknowns within the story. Many characters as well who seemed to have been largely glanced over (ie Bran) get significantly more facetime in the books as well.

On another note, as Clocker mentioned, Peter Dinklage is simply amazing in AGOT. It's as if the role was made for him. That man deserves an Emmy. Of course, that's not to say other actors aren't amazing as well. The casting has been spot on, no doubt in part by the fact that GRRM is one of the producers on the show.

megabyteme
06-22-2011, 06:03 PM
In regards to the "adult content"...there is a decent amount of sex in the show. Not only does this give the characters some depth (What are their proclivities? Who are they having sex with? Is it gay, straight, or bi-? Are they willing to do things with people they despise? Is it incestuous? What secrets are they keeping about it?...), but it is also used to form alliances, control others, and shift balances of power.

Not to mention there's lots of dwarf sex. Need I say any more?:w00t::w00t::w00t:

IdolEyes787
06-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Books are almost always better than the derived movie/tv shows. I think the exceptions are few and far between, The Godfather and Jaws being the only ones that come immediately to mind.Even Roots was a shadow of the book.

I think given the limitations of visual media the wise producer takes great pains to get the casting right ( apparently the case with AGOT) because a person can't imbibe the characters with their own life like they can with a book so the connection needs to be immediate and a lot stronger than with unknown material ..Ned should be taller or not as gruff or whatever.The trick is to have an actor so good that all those preconceptions become irrelevant.

mr. nails
06-22-2011, 06:21 PM
just finished up the season.

now, i'm ready to see some dragons take control and burn all! muahahahaha

lastly, i'll miss u sean bean. u did a good job!

Tsu
06-22-2011, 06:29 PM
i love this show

megabyteme
06-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Nails: that last line should probably go in a spoiler, too..

IdolEyes787
06-22-2011, 08:04 PM
just finished up the season.

now, i'm ready to see some dragons take control and burn all! muahahahaha

lastly, i'll miss u sean bean. u did a good job!

Watch Sharpe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe_%28TV_series%29). Bean was pure gold until he started getting a little long in the tooth.

http://www.wwtdd.com/2011/06/sean-bean-is-the-coolest-dude-on-earth/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16D8ZSXeVXw

mr. nails
06-23-2011, 04:37 AM
Nails: that last line should probably go in a spoiler, too..

yeah, that's my bad. fast reply be4 work. my fault.

@ idol. after wiki'ing him that show came up. i'll have to check that out. never heard of it.

Mizo
06-23-2011, 08:09 PM
this series is very interesting but the adult scenes make it not good

IdolEyes787
06-23-2011, 08:21 PM
@ idol. after wiki'ing him that show came up. i'll have to check that out. never heard of it.I'm a big Sharpe fan but you need to be aware that the series was filmed intermittently over the course of almost 20 years.Consequently it varies greatly in quality with the middle ones being imo by far the best. If you start (appropriately) with the first and don't especially like it , try to hang in there til the third when everything's better established.

Also if by some fluke of nature you do actually like it then I'd also suggest checking out Hornblower (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornblower_%28TV_series%29)

mjmacky
06-23-2011, 08:30 PM
this series is very interesting but the adult scenes make it not good

They aren't adult scenes, they are scenes with titties, ass, dangling cocks and pelvic shots. They don't detract from the show though, however it's a personal preference as to how much they augment the show. For me they are mostly beside the point, why wouldn't significant conversations take place in the nude?

On the other hand, your post wasn't very good.

clocker
06-23-2011, 09:17 PM
They aren't adult scenes, they are scenes with titties, ass, dangling cocks and pelvic shots. They don't detract from the show though, however it's a personal preference as to how much they augment the show. For me they are mostly beside the point, why wouldn't significant conversations take place in the nude?

Actually, a couple of the "nude" scenes I found to be totally egregious and probably the result of a big problem faced by the director.
GoT is a sprawling epic work and there's a lot of backstory to cram into a few episodes. Sometimes there seems to be no way to insert a big block of info into the flow of the story without a soliloquy, which tends to slow down the pacing.
Having some hot girl-on-girl action (Littlefinger's brothel scene) or a naked hooker cleaning up (the old advisors rumination on the nature of kings) in the background can give some visual interest to a pretty static scene.

I wasn't offended by either but did think it was a device to distract from a clunky exposition of detail.

That said, Daenarys should be naked all the time.

mjmacky
06-23-2011, 11:38 PM
I found the use of sexual activity in those scenes you mention very distracting because those monologues were very interesting. The freaking whores in the back were making too much damn noise.

Daenarys shouldn't be completely naked, perhaps some bracelets or hair decorations would be better.

clocker
06-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Daenarys shouldn't be completely naked, perhaps some bracelets or hair decorations would be better.
I'm guessing that her final scene gave her all the adornment she'll need.

mjmacky
06-24-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm guessing that her final scene gave her all the adornment she'll need.

For the time being, yets, but bracelets don't grow big enough to crush you. In fact, if I really think about it, bracelets don't grow at all.

clocker
06-24-2011, 12:09 AM
... if I really think about it, bracelets don't grow at all.
That realization required "really thinking"?

mjmacky
06-24-2011, 12:25 AM
no... I'm making fun of the wording I used. Joke, I make joke

clocker
06-24-2011, 12:33 AM
Ah.
You make joke,
Me miss joke.

Joke lie flopping on floor like dying fish.

Me make metaphor.

Cabalo
06-24-2011, 04:43 AM
Hmmm... so far Spartacus has more titties than this. :ermm:

clocker
06-24-2011, 04:49 AM
So does RedTube.

chalice
06-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Ah.
You make joke,
Me miss joke.

Joke lie flopping on floor like dying fish.

Me make metaphor.

You actually maked a simile.

clocker
06-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Metaphorically speaking, you are correct.

shakshuka
06-25-2011, 06:20 PM
its the best tv show i ever see..
i cant wait to the second season!

dndon
06-26-2011, 07:59 PM
looks like good TV show ! i will download some eposides !

Frankthetank1
06-26-2011, 08:39 PM
i just started watching it yesterday and watched 6 episodes in one night. I guess i was bored. But great show.

clocker
06-27-2011, 12:00 AM
i just started watching it yesterday and watched 6 episodes in one night. I guess i was bored. But great show.
Although I was certainly engaged before, episode 6 is the one that really got me hooked.
Dany eating the horse's heart and Drogo "crowning" Vyseris were both stunning scenes, IMO.

moarm
06-28-2011, 07:08 AM
i heard its a YEAR wait for season 2?!?!?

sandman_1
06-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Love this show. Definitely full of surprises...

joblow
06-29-2011, 07:52 PM
I've been wanting to check this out for a while now

IdolEyes787
06-29-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm standing by my assertion that if the average bt user shows this much interest I need to run fast and far in the other direction.
That simple rule has never failed me yet.

mjmacky
06-29-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm standing by my assertion that if the average bt user shows this much interest I need to run fast and far in the other direction.
That simple rule has never failed me yet.

I think the average bt user is only interested in the gratuitous use of boobies. There's much to be appreciated in the show that I'm sure is lost on the average bt user. You haven't tried out this show yet? You should at least sample 1 or 2 episodes before running away, I think you'll be glad to not have avoided it. You can at least trust the fact that I don't praise utter crap.

clocker
06-30-2011, 02:22 AM
Idol, please suck it up and watch.
If by the end of episode six you don't like it, you can go back to the Larry the Cable Guy Marathon.

mjmacky
06-30-2011, 03:11 AM
you can go back to the Larry the Cable Guy Marathon.

I took Idol for a teen vampire drama series kinda guy.

clocker
06-30-2011, 04:13 AM
Eclecticism, he haz it.

IdolEyes787
06-30-2011, 11:54 AM
you can go back to the Larry the Cable Guy Marathon.

I took Idol for a teen vampire drama series kinda guy.

I don't actually watch anything on the CW.Probably why I'm so out of touch with my peers.

OK I'll watch Games of Thorns if mjmacky promises to shut up.

Forever.

mjmacky
07-01-2011, 08:23 AM
OK I'll watch Games of Thorns if mjmacky promises to shut up.

Forever.

So sorry you're going to miss out on the show :(

IdolEyes787
07-01-2011, 12:40 PM
It was worth a shot.

clocker
07-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Go big or go Canadian.

IdolEyes787
07-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Happy Canada Deh.

clocker
07-01-2011, 01:08 PM
According to Republican Speaker of the House, that should be spelled "Doe".

IdolEyes787
07-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Republicans are better seen and not heard.

pmcgrady
07-17-2011, 04:01 PM
The show is good but with their budget to make it, they seemed to size it down a lot. They've left out a lot how much the wolves are a part of the story / How close the wolves are to each of the children. The battles were also completely cut out. Too bad they can't make it a full twenty-some episode series.

toady
07-17-2011, 07:57 PM
I shouldn't have watched the first season at all. The series is so damn good, I don't think I will be able to wait for its next season....they say it will premier on the same time of year as this one

clocker
07-18-2011, 12:41 PM
The show is good but with their budget to make it, they seemed to size it down a lot. They've left out a lot how much the wolves are a part of the story / How close the wolves are to each of the children. The battles were also completely cut out. Too bad they can't make it a full twenty-some episode series.
I just finished the books (including the latest) and am more appreciative of the obstacles faced by HBO bringing them to the screen and I'm now very curious how they're going to proceed.

I disagree about the battles...unlike LoTR (the movie versions), which lovingly (and for the most part, boringly) detailed the battle scenes, GoT is more concerned about the whys and the outcomes of war(s) rather than endless shots of people getting hacked to pieces. Large scale battle scenes may be visually interesting but violence is much more effective when you know the characters (did Orcs have names?) and can see the personal cost of battle.
In the book, Khal Drogo's khalisar (army, to the uninitiated) is 100,000 strong but only a handful of them have any part in the plot and I don't think the HBO version suffers because the rest aren't present.

I really wonder now how faithful HBO can be to the rest of the books.
There are two major problems they must deal with.
First, GRRM hasn't even finished writing the damn series, so no one knows how it's supposed to end. He just released Book 5 and thinks there will be two more but who knows?
Second, major characters disappear for long stretches of time- even entire books- so how do you keep the cast together and schedule filming?
Also, will the viewing public accept an entire season where a favorite character doesn't even appear except by reference (see books 3 and 4)?

Finally, a note about the casting.
I came to this whole thing a virgin, not having read the books, so my idea of the characters was modeled on the actors not the author.
The producers did a stunning job fitting the actor to the role, particularly Jack Gleeson as Joffrey and Harry Lloyd as Viserys- they are absolutely pitch perfect.

Where they made changes from the books- major and minor- it didn't bother me at all.
The dwarf Tyrion is supposed to be hideously ugly but Peter Dinklage is actually quite handsome and it didn't detract at all from the story.
(I'm predicting he wins the Emmy, BTW.)

So, now I've seen the series and read the books...good thing Breaking Bad started again to keep me occupied.
(Ole Gus would fit right into GoT, wouldn't he?)

IdolEyes787
07-18-2011, 04:21 PM
I really wonder now how faithful HBO can be to the rest of the books.
........ major characters disappear for long stretches of time- even entire books- so how do you keep the cast together and schedule filming?

Dick York/Dick Sargent.Barbara Bel Geddes /Donna Reed.Sarah Chalke / Lecy Goranson.
With a fright wig and a layer of dirt like anyone will notice. Especially given the demographic has the apparent attention span of a tsetse fly.
If the producers consider it to be a real problem then they will make an iPad app that tells people that it's the same actor and everyone will just think it's in their heads then..

Rart
07-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Second, major characters disappear for long stretches of time- even entire books- so how do you keep the cast together and schedule filming?
Also, will the viewing public accept an entire season where a favorite character doesn't even appear except by reference (see books 3 and 4)?

I haven't quite finished the books yet so I don't know how well this will work in the future, but I believe I read somewhere that they are planning on alleviating the gaps between the appearances of certain major characters by intertwining scenes from future books within the current season (ie there were a couple of ACOK scenes at the end of season one) in order to help tide viewers over and make sure that they don't "forget" about those characters. Hopefully with GRRM directly involved in the creation of the show, these slight altercations won't affect the overall story too drastically.

And in case anyone is interested, Margaery Tyrell (http://tv.ign.com/articles/117/1178541p1.html), Brienne (http://tv.ign.com/articles/118/1181265p1.html) , Stannis, Melisandre and Davos (http://tv.ign.com/articles/118/1182548p1.html) have been cast for season 2.

Also clocker, any theories on Jon Snow's parentage?

bazinga
07-22-2011, 06:52 PM
it is really great show
the end is awesome i can't wait to see season 2

joeyp
07-30-2011, 09:15 PM
it is a great show i heartily reccommend it eddard starke was worth cheering for til he was killed

IdolEyes787
07-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Spoilers above.

it is really great show
the end is awesome i can't wait to see season 2

If that was the end how can there be a second season?:unsure:

clocker
07-31-2011, 12:51 AM
it is a great show i heartily reccommend it eddard starke was worth cheering for til he was killed
Great, now you've spoiled it for Idol.
A real pho phat, that.

IdolEyes787
07-31-2011, 01:26 AM
Yes but he didn't say how.I'm betting it was a giant anvil that fell on him.

Sort of like this but with more nudity.

megabyteme
07-31-2011, 01:29 AM
Great, now you've spoiled it for Idol.
A real pho phat, that.

Idol will stick around for the bewbs. There's still that.

LostFSC-PIN
08-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Couldn't wait for season 2 and went ahead with the books, and they are even better then the show imo.

thebazzla
08-07-2011, 01:47 PM
just out of idle curiosity. how many books where published of this not to be missed series........

clocker
08-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Five, so far.
The plan is for two more books but who knows?

thebazzla
08-07-2011, 02:04 PM
thanks for the info clocker. so it looks like at least a couple more seasons can be made.

clocker
08-07-2011, 02:31 PM
thanks for the info clocker. so it looks like at least a couple more seasons can be made.
Yes, but...
It's going to be interesting to see how HBO decides to do this. Book 1- A Game of Thrones- was perfect as a single season project. However, the next three books introduce a ton of new characters and they all kind of wander around, doing not much of anything. Basically, Martin has to kill some time as Dany and the dragons mature into the major force they're destined to become.
I'm guessing that HBO will combine the second and third books into season two of the show, no telling how the rest will go.

It's weird that HBO would commit to such an expensive project with no clear end point in sight.

1000possibleclaws
08-12-2011, 01:23 AM
Just finished the first season and wow, it might have been the best drama I've ever watched. I was surprised by the quality of the production values, you don't really see that in most tv shows. Hope they can keep this up for the following season!

razy91
08-22-2011, 09:50 AM
I am currently reading the books, it's very good tv show.

dreamgirl
08-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Reading the books too. I love Arya so much. Dany too!

magnoman
09-08-2011, 09:43 AM
cant wait for the next one

thebazzla
09-08-2011, 10:40 AM
cant wait for the next oneyou will have to its not aired again for at least another 7 months :O

JebusAT
09-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Just started reading the last book released...pretty darn good so far!

mjmacky
09-08-2011, 04:01 PM
cant wait for the next one

Then commit suicide, it's the only honorable thing to do.

mueller
09-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Waiting for it on bluray omg!

mjmacky
09-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Waiting for it on bluray omg!

So what's your post count goal? You know, the one you're racing towards?

thebazzla
09-12-2011, 05:33 PM
is there such a thing as post count goal? and why oh why would you watch it on blu-ray?

mjmacky
09-12-2011, 08:23 PM
is there such a thing as post count goal?

There is. For instance, mine would be somewhere above yours. To help with my goal, I'd prefer you not respond to this >:>)

thebazzla
09-12-2011, 08:50 PM
is there such a thing as post count goal?

There is. For instance, mine would be somewhere above yours. To help with my goal, I'd prefer you not respond to this >:>)ok then i wont.

mjmacky
09-12-2011, 10:33 PM
:fist:

Glod
09-14-2011, 07:06 PM
I was blown away by the television adaptation, with its devotion to the storyline, solid attempt at representing the actual land and cultures of Westeros, and utterly delightful acting. Each actor and actress seems suited to his or her role, and most of them somehow manage to match my mental image of the characters. Whoever was responsible for casting deserves a congratulations.

IdolEyes787
09-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Two for thirteen at the Emmys .Of course you also have to take into account these are the same people that thought having Jane Lynch host was a good idea.

IdolEyes787
09-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Breast Actor nominee Josh Charles of the Good Wife on the red carpet.:unsure:

clocker
09-19-2011, 11:50 AM
The Oscar and Emmy shows are such throwbacks and so unique, I'm not sure who could successfully pull them off.
Jackie Gleason, Ed Sullivan?

How much irony can you drape over an ancient art form before it tumbles to the ground?

Shared
10-08-2011, 07:39 AM
heard it is great..must watch it

mr. nails
11-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Season 2 April 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE12H1HorUU

clocker
11-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Oh yes, thank you for that.

mjmacky
11-21-2011, 11:28 PM
So have we found out anything about winter, is it like, coming?

clocker
11-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Indeed it is.
Unless you live in Tahiti.

cimbom
11-25-2011, 04:47 PM
This show is the greatest fantastic tv show.

Etcomment
12-05-2011, 02:45 PM
The best Tv show i have Ever Seen

Artemis
12-07-2011, 03:59 AM
So have we found out anything about winter, is it like, coming?

Indeed it is.
Unless you live in Tahiti.

Or even New Zealand, where summer is just starting to get really warm, so wrap up all you merkins, I'll be thinking of you.....

megabyteme
12-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Or even New Zealand, where summer is just starting to get really warm, so wrap up all you merkins, I'll be thinking of you.....

That is one of the coolest parts of being in the southern hemisphere- a warm, non-icy, Christmas. :)

mjmacky
12-07-2011, 09:02 AM
My fucking climate sucks, I'm still in shorts. The question about winter coming applies to my IRL sitch. I have jeans, sweatshirts, long sleeves, suede and leather jackets that get absolutely no outside time. I fucking can't wait to move.

IdolEyes787
01-01-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm through the first six episodes and though undeniably well done( especially the production values) I still am left with a feeling that the characters are little more than pieces on a game board.
Given the show's title maybe that is the intention but I would still prefer people to be more in control of their own fates.

clocker
01-03-2012, 01:16 PM
I would still prefer people to be more in control of their own fates.
A thoroughly modern objection to a thoroughly medieval story.

Funkin'
01-03-2012, 02:57 PM

That is one of the coolest parts of being in the southern hemisphere- a warm, non-icy, Christmas. :)

That would be one of the worst parts in my opinion. I couldn't imagine a Christmas without cold/ snow. A warm Christmas just wouldn't feel like Christmas. But then again winter is my favorite season so I'm a bit biased. Winters are getting more and more bitch-like by me(meaning I'm no longer seeing snow all season long, just now the temp is getting pretty cold, Chicago winters used to be so brutal) so I can't wait to move where their harsher at some point in my life.

Anyways, about this show, I still haven't watched it. I'm going to wait until after the second season to start it so I have more than six episodes to watch.

Artemis
01-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Anyways, about this show, I still haven't watched it. I'm going to wait until after the second season to start it so I have more than six episodes to watch.

I hate to rain on your parade, but there are 10 episodes in the first series, so now you have no reason to wait :whistling:

IdolEyes787
01-03-2012, 05:57 PM
I would still prefer people to be more in control of their own fates.
To clarify it's not so much that I object to the vagaries of fate but rather that up to that point in the series some characters lacked depth and seemed little more that pieces being moved around for plot purposes.
Since I wrote that though I've finished Season 1 and now feel a lot more "connected" to some of the people. Actually one of the pleasure of the series is that even (seemingly) minor characters are imbued with enough individuality/personality to give things a sense of realism.
I don't think the novels are a good as some seem determined to give them credit as being ,but there is no denying that the TV show was created by people who want it to be the best that it can possibly be.
I'm still not sure if limitations of the medium preventing big scale battle scenes is a good or bad thing though. I could have stood to seen Jamie captured for instance but given the choice none is better than bad CG.

Overall so far the show's a lot less"dark" than I thought it would be.I know things don't turn out too well for several characters further down the road but now that I'm invested I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

chalice
01-03-2012, 10:56 PM
To clarify it's not so much that I object to the vagaries of fate but rather that up to that point in the series some characters lacked depth and seemed little more that pieces being moved around for plot purposes.
Since I wrote that though I've finished Season 1 and now feel a lot more "connected" to some of the people. Actually one of the pleasure of the series is that even (seemingly) minor characters are imbued with enough individuality/personality to give things a sense of realism.
I don't think the novels are a good as some seem determined to give them credit as being ,but there is no denying that the TV show was created by people who want it to be the best that it can possibly be.
I'm still not sure if limitations of the medium preventing big scale battle scenes is a good or bad thing though. I could have stood to seen Jamie captured for instance but given the choice none is better than bad CG.

Overall so far the show's a lot less"dark" than I thought it would be.I know things don't turn out too well for several characters further down the road but now that I'm invested I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Shut the fuck up.

clocker
01-04-2012, 05:00 AM
You dive right into the center of what had to be the producer's biggest problem.
GoT is a massive story with extensive internal historical perspective and in book form, can meander to it's heart's content explaining the baroque nuances that color everything.
Most boring TV ever.
Believe it or not, the HBO version cuts out dozens of characters from the book and all the serpentine subplots they inhabited but even so it's easy to see how the uninitiated would find the series initially abrupt and mechanical.
I wonder if this wasn't more an aesthetic than budgetary choice. The anti-LOTR if you will, no endless Orc battles.

You're a better person now.

mjmacky
01-04-2012, 05:44 AM
and now feel a lot more "connected" to some of the people

What about that one character? I forgot his name, but it was something CK (but not Calvin Klein).

IdolEyes787
01-04-2012, 12:47 PM
I wonder if this wasn't more an aesthetic than budgetary choice. The anti-LOTR if you will, no endless Orc battles.

I thought of that as well but I'm sure given the scope of the story budgetary concerns factor into everything on some level. I can see them throwing in some massive battle at some key point though if only as the contrast to previous expectations .The effect of course making it seem truly apocalyptic.

Btw I was one of the few who wasn't too enamoured with the LotR movies for precisely that reason.
It's easy for characters to get lost in the razzle dazzle.They certainly did in those movies and so they (unlike GoT) came off as being entirely bloodless.It never bothers me when cartoons die because, well they were never really alive to begin with were they?

and now feel a lot more "connected" to some of the people

What about that one character? I forgot his name, but it was something CK (but not Calvin Klein).

It's pretty confusing .So far I can only remember that that Sean guy plays Boromir and if I hang in through the boring court stuff sooner or later someone will probably get naked.
In answer to your question though possibly the good bastard ,not the short but entertaining but probably bad one , is named Clark Kent.

JebusAT
01-10-2012, 06:50 PM
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6579356/game-of-thrones-rpg

Must play game of the season...

mjmacky
01-11-2012, 01:04 AM
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6579356/game-of-thrones-rpg

It's done like the old Final Fantasy, was fantastic.

mjmacky
02-28-2012, 05:12 AM
This comic creator is speaking directly to the filesharing crowd and GoT crowd with this one.

Original link (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones), for like, if you can't see.

tesco
02-29-2012, 01:56 AM
Game of Thrones Entire Season 1 HD 720p, just 2.39gb? :eyebrows:

Jassica075
02-29-2012, 09:25 AM
loving it. currently on ep 7 and the show is quite good. unlike idol as soon as i saw the 1st ep i was hooked.
Same with you..

mjmacky
02-29-2012, 10:33 AM

It's an obvious name spoofing. Has any release group ever labeled season 1 as "entire season 1"?

IdolEyes787
02-29-2012, 11:46 AM

It's an obvious name spoofing. Has any release group ever labeled season 1 as "entire season 1"?

I dunno except for computer stuff I hear that they aren't very bright.

mjmacky
02-29-2012, 02:20 PM

I dunno except for computer stuff I hear that they aren't very bright.

Which is why they blindly adhere to conventions. Either way, I believe I've read all of that guy's comics and am certain he would make it up even if I knew nothing about filesharing.

IdolEyes787
03-05-2012, 12:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwGILsrdGdM

mjmacky
03-05-2012, 04:08 PM
According to that, comes back in April 1st. Not a joke, right?

panoramic
03-08-2012, 03:50 PM
That would be the most terrible April Fool's Day joke. I have been super excited for the second season to air.

megabyteme
03-08-2012, 06:00 PM
I miss my dwarf and naked blonde TV, too...

IdolEyes787
03-08-2012, 06:09 PM
That would be the most terrible April Fool's Day joke. I have been super excited for the second season to air.

Basically I stopped caring what you thought after you wrote this.

I just finished watching the web series. It is so good. I wish the guy who created it directed the Mortal Kombat movies.

mjmacky
03-14-2012, 08:10 AM
For that comic I posted, there is apparently a remixed version of it. Much of the stuff in the original doesn't apply to anyone not living in the U.S.

Original (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones)
Remixed (http://theoatmeal.com/pl/game_of_thrones/nz)

megabyteme
03-14-2012, 07:49 PM
For that comic I posted, there is apparently a remixed version of it. Much of the stuff in the original doesn't apply to anyone not living in the U.S.
[/URL]
[URL="http://theoatmeal.com/pl/game_of_thrones/nz"]Remixed (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones)

Poor Art... :console:

chalice
03-24-2012, 01:15 PM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/23/game-of-thrones-season-2-video-round-up-including-a-22-minute-featurette/

seedless
03-25-2012, 05:26 AM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/23/game-of-thrones-season-2-video-round-up-including-a-22-minute-featurette/

There is also a few torrents floating around of this for those interested:

Game.Of.Thrones.You.Win.Or.You.Die.WEB-DL.XviD-REFiLL
Game.of.Thrones.S2E00.You.Win.or.You.Die.720p.WEB-DL.H264-BTN
Game of Thrones S2E00 You Win or You Die 720p WEB-DL H264-P2P

The last two are probably the same (they are both the same size), with some asshole just renaming the file.

speedcardi
03-28-2012, 05:39 PM
i can't wait, just few days left!!!!

IdolEyes787
03-28-2012, 06:12 PM
i can't wait, just few days left!!!!

If you can't wait but there are still a few days left your options are pretty much limited to storming the offices of HBO and forcing them at gunpoint to screen the show for you or to commit suicide.
If you don't want a criminal record I'd go with the second one.

elana
04-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Just watched the latest episode of this...epic. I'm insanely excited for the rest of the season.

tesco
04-06-2012, 01:37 AM
http://i.imgur.com/YzQqR.jpg

mjmacky
04-06-2012, 05:59 AM
Episode 2 out early...

IdolEyes787
04-15-2012, 09:54 PM
http://gawker.com/5902076/snl-explains-the-nudity-in-game-of-thrones

IdolEyes787
04-16-2012, 08:40 PM
http://www.pajiba.com/think_pieces/mindhole-blowers-holy-sht-tyrion-lannisters-grizzled-sellsword-bronn-used-to-be-a-huge-and-hugely-lame-pop-star-.php

Seriously the last couple episodes have been pretty though.Unbelievably I'd still tune in even without the tits.

mjmacky
04-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Unbelievably I'd still tune in even without the tits.

What are you doing watching this show anyway? You know it's on my like list right? Is it worth the cost of your soul?

ghostyzz
05-06-2012, 03:13 AM
fantastic show!

IdolEyes787
05-06-2012, 10:36 AM
fantastic show!

You know I had some idiotic hope against hope that someone actually was going to comment on what is happening on the show and give me an opportunity to say how fucking fantastic Arya's storyline is but then I open the thread to this shite and see that once again some fucktard has simply used this section as a convenient means to gain access to the Trade Section.

Oh well life is hard and then you die.
In your case hopefully sooner than later.

05-08-2012, 10:34 AM
To be honest I hate that show ... What you ppl see in this show? There is a lot of good shows then Game of Thrones ...

IdolEyes787
05-08-2012, 10:40 AM
To be honest I hate that show ... What you ppl see in this show? There is a lot of good shows then Game of Thrones ...

Grace us with your opinion and name some then.

mjmacky
05-08-2012, 10:57 AM
There is a lot of good shows then Game of Thrones ...

When you say it like that, it's like you're saying it's so great that it's just unfair to try to compare other series to it.

Artemis
05-08-2012, 12:21 PM
There is a lot of good shows then Game of Thrones ...

When you say it like that, it's like you're saying it's so great that it's just unfair to try to compare other series to it.

I think it's more a case of challenging the eggplant to come up with an original idea. :blink:

Well 331 Has hit the magical 15 poasts and headed straight for the tard section so it's safe to say we won't be expecting any sought of an answer, anytime soon (well I for one won't be holding my breath).

IdolEyes787
05-08-2012, 04:54 PM

I think it's more a case of challenging the eggplant to come up with an original idea. :blink:

Well 331 Has hit the magical 15 poasts and headed straight for the tard section so it's safe to say we won't be expecting any sought of an answer, anytime soon (well I for one won't be holding my breath).

Taking stupid things like propriety into account can all his posts outside of the tard section be removed please?
Seriously I don't care how stupid or offensive anyone's posts are just as long as they make them from a place of genuine interest.

PS All cunts please die.

comando
05-10-2012, 12:13 AM
I love game of thrones but the second season is being short on action! Saving for the last episodes of the season? Most likely, I didnt read the books so Im hoping for a good surprise!

IdolEyes787
05-10-2012, 01:24 AM
I love game of thrones but the second season is being short on action! Saving for the last episodes of the season? Most likely, I didnt read the books so Im hoping for a good surprise!

I suppose telling you that the focus of the Game of Thrones has never really been about the action but rather in the nuances of human interaction as played out upon a broad, multi-generational canvas of loyalty and betrayal it wouldn't really mean much then would it?

mjmacky
05-10-2012, 12:36 PM

I suppose telling you that the focus of the Game of Thrones has never really been about the action but rather in the nuances of human interaction as played out upon a broad, multi-generational canvas of loyalty and betrayal it wouldn't really mean much then would it?

blood and tits or gtfo

IdolEyes787
05-10-2012, 05:05 PM
blood and tits or gtfo

I would agree but I actually prefer my TV not to be too representative of my real life.

mjmacky
05-10-2012, 05:45 PM
blood and tits or gtfo

I would agree but I actually prefer my TV not to be too representative of my real life.

Cancer mastectomies or plastic surgery?

IdolEyes787
05-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Small bird hunting.

megabyteme
05-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Small bird hunting.

mjmacky
05-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Small bird hunting.

Is that a lantern jaw?

IdolEyes787
05-10-2012, 07:56 PM
I reported you both for spamming my serious type thread.

mjmacky
05-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Clocker's been MIA for about 2 months. I just noticed that.

IdolEyes787
05-10-2012, 08:09 PM

Self involvement has it's drawbacks.

mjmacky
05-10-2012, 08:23 PM

Self involvement has it's drawbacks.

Couldn't seriously be the cause of his absence, I mean just ask manker how many posts per week I'm currently at.

IdolEyes787
05-10-2012, 08:44 PM
I meant that it took you 2 months to notice his absence but I guess the above post just further proves my point.

Artemis
05-10-2012, 09:35 PM
I meant that it took you 2 months to notice his absence but I guess the above post just further proves my point.

I miss clocker and I miss clocker's blog. :'(

mjmacky
05-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Whoa, my brain just had a BSOD. I thought you meant it in the sense of clocker being self-involved, so I worded it in a sense to make it sound like I'm the one with the problem, but then you come with the revelation that that was your original intent. It was at that point I had to force a reboot, and as I came back, it all started to make sense.

-Game of Thrones season 2 currently airing

IdolEyes787
05-10-2012, 11:07 PM

You miss clockers' log? Art that's more information than I really ever need to know.

Artemis
05-11-2012, 12:50 AM

You miss clockers' log? Art that's more information than I really ever need to know.

Selective reading doesn't help your cause, being Canadian and stupid is no way to go through life. :idunno:

mjmacky
05-11-2012, 01:01 AM

Selective reading doesn't help your cause, being Canadian and stupid is no way to go through life. :idunno:

I don't think it'd be so bad, that is if you didn't know you were stupid.

IdolEyes787
05-11-2012, 01:08 AM

I once applied for New Zealand citizenship but they said that I was too smart. Later I found out the real reason for my failure was that I was attempting to apply for New Zealand citizenship at an Ottawa poutine shop. :(

mjmacky
05-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Doubting my near certainty that Idol just made one of his common spelling errors, I checked to see if poutine was a word. I learned that Canada thinks they're culturally distinct enough to have their own cuisine.

megabyteme
05-11-2012, 03:01 AM
Doubting my near certainty that Idol just made one of his common spelling errors, I checked to see if poutine was a word. I learned that Canada thinks they're culturally distinct enough to have their own cuisine.

Actually, he was at a pouting shop.

mjmacky
05-11-2012, 07:44 AM

I wonder how people would feel about their service while patronizing those establishments.

Artemis
05-11-2012, 08:02 AM

I wonder how people would fee about their service while patronizing those establishments.

:blink:

mjmacky
05-11-2012, 08:32 AM
I wonder how people would fee about their service while patronizing those establishments.

:blink:

Had to go back and correct it, it was an omission that actually messes with the context.

megabyteme
05-11-2012, 09:37 AM

I wonder how people would feel about their service while patronizing those establishments.

Lousy tippers, for sure...

IdolEyes787
05-11-2012, 11:04 AM

I went to a whine shop but was disappointed when I found that all they had was booze.
Also like I would ever eat poutine.
OK maybe if they replaced the french fries with baked yam ,the cheese curd with protein isolate and the gravy with creatine.

Beaver tails (http://www.beavertailsinc.com/)

Btw if Burger King has poutine on the menu in Canada (http://www.burgerking.ca/en/View.aspx?uid=TopMenu_OurMenu_SidesandBeverages_Poutine),does that mean they have roasted cat on the menu in China?

mjmacky
05-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Btw if Burger King has poutine on the menu in Canada (http://www.burgerking.ca/en/View.aspx?uid=TopMenu_OurMenu_SidesandBeverages_Poutine),does that mean they have roasted cat on the menu in China?

I think they would if they knew one of the many ways to skin a cat. Here's a pic from China.

IdolEyes787
05-11-2012, 08:31 PM
It can't be China as the bike is too new.

mjmacky
05-12-2012, 01:53 AM
A modern area of China, and in case you can't make it out, the cat was on a leash. I think it's the way for the owner to prevent it from being eaten by another person.

Artemis
05-13-2012, 12:58 AM
A modern area of China, and in case you can't make it out, the cat was on a leash. I think it's the way for the owner to prevent it from being eaten by another person.

That's a very well fed looking cat, maybe the owner was fattening it up for himself, saddle of puss in a red wine sauce? :blink:

IdolEyes787
05-13-2012, 01:06 AM

The acrobats and Shaolin priests must be just out of frame then.

OlegL
05-28-2012, 08:39 AM

Even though I agree with you, I can't say it's my favorite show. When I was watching it, there were times I felt bored, and there were times I felt entertained. I watched the whole first season and the 9 episodes from season 2. I will keep watching it, but... as I said, sometimes it's boring, and sometimes it's entertaining. Maybe I am too dumb to understand what makes this show so great, but my favorite shows are Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural... I never watched the shows Mad Men and Deadwood. I guess I need to start watching them. Speaking of The Wire... well, I watched the first 6 or 7 episodes from the show, and I honestly can't tell you if I liked that show or not. I don't know yet how I feel about The Wire...

mjmacky
05-28-2012, 09:35 AM

Even though I agree with you, I can't say it's my favorite show... but my favorite shows are Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural...

I was going to comment as to why it would matter if GoT is a favorite show of yours or not, but since you have such an extensive lists of favorites, I can't see why you don't just throw it in the mix.

The only thing that would keep me from watching this show is if the dwarf died, leaving him unable to deliver witty retorts.

IdolEyes787
05-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Maybe I am too dumb to understand what makes this show so great, but my favorite shows are Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural... I never watched the shows Mad Men and Deadwood. I guess I need to start watching them. Speaking of The Wire... well, I watched the first 6 or 7 episodes from the show, and I honestly can't tell you if I liked that show or not. I don't know yet how I feel about The Wire...

I like America's Got Talent even though the title seems to be a bit of a misnomer.
Basically I watch anything that the bitards on the bitards sites don't ramble on about.So reality shows and infomercials.
I also like So You think You Can Dance or at least until they eliminate the hawt girls and only the skanks and fags are left.

I'd watch Vampire Diaries but I still like to delude myself that I'm straight.

mjmacky
05-28-2012, 12:37 PM
I also like So You think You Can Dance or at least until they eliminate the hawt girls and only the skanks and fags are left.

I'd watch Vampire Diaries but I still like to delude myself that I'm straight.

Here's a pro straight tip then, watching girls dance when they aren't looking slutty (if not completely derobed) is a telling gay pastime.

IdolEyes787
05-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Just watched the latest episode of GoT .How awesome is Peter Dinklage.
I pretty sure that if he wasn't a dwarf he would technically qualify as a god or something.

OlegL
05-28-2012, 05:22 PM
I pretty sure that if he wasn't a dwarf he would technically qualify as a god or something.

Let's hope he won't die from his wound. He's the only Lannister that I like, though Jamie also possesses some charm, despite his cruelty. His father Tywin hasn't committed any cruel acts yet (as far as I remember), but it's possible he would have hurt Arya if he had found out about her true identity.

Snee
05-28-2012, 05:23 PM

heightist.

IdolEyes787
05-28-2012, 07:47 PM

heightist.

Don't try to tell me that you don't look down on short people.

Let's hope he won't die from his wound. He's the only Lannister that I like, though Jamie also possesses some charm, despite his cruelty. His father Tywin hasn't committed any cruel acts yet (as far as I remember), but it's possible he would have hurt Arya if he had found out about her true identity.

I removed the spoiler tags because I think that anyone who is following the series/books won't be too shocked that battles tend to have casualties and anyone who ain't following the series/books wouldn't care.

Now for so real spoiler type stuff.Jamie has quite a character arch ,perhaps the greatest of anyone in the books.

chalice
05-28-2012, 08:23 PM
heightist.

Don't try to tell me that you don't look down on short people.

I removed the spoiler tags because I think that anyone who is following the series/books won't be too shocked that battles tend to have casualties and anyone who ain't following the series/books wouldn't care.

Now for so real spoiler type stuff.Jamie has quite a character arch ,perhaps the greatest of anyone in the books.

That's news to me, you cunt. Cheers for that. I purposely, against previous judgement, actually left the books alone, despite having them on my kindle in case TV is ever outlawed, so as I can read this very thread.

I do love that midget, though. I was horrified for a moment when I thought he might have had his head caved in by the tallest fucker in all Westeros, or whatever the fuck you call it.

Phew. That is all.

IdolEyes787
05-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Hardly a spoiler as I'm pretty sure everybody in the books gets hurt in some way at some point or other. Wait maybe I shouldn't have said that :frusty: .

chalice
05-28-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm not reading that, fuckface.

IdolEyes787
05-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Hence the spoiler tags or something.
Darth Vader is Luke's father .Kevin Spacey's character was lying. He is Keyser Soze.Bruce Willis is a ghost.Tyler Durden was all in Ed Norton's head.Dignum shoots Collin.Tracy's head is in the box.

I just learned that the girl who plays Sansa is only 16 so I need to know if I'm still legally able to think of her as hawt.
..........................................................................................
How come when I wasn't watching the show people wouldn't shut up about it and now that I am.........

That's it I'm seriously giving up the internets.

mjmacky
05-29-2012, 01:01 AM
..........................................................................................
How come when I wasn't watching the show people wouldn't shut up about it and now that I am.........

That's it I'm seriously giving up the internets.

They're quietly awaiting your feedback on Louie.

IdolEyes787
05-29-2012, 10:54 PM

Nothing that I have read about Louie leaves me with the impression that I could masturbate to it.

mjmacky
05-29-2012, 11:19 PM

Nothing that I have read about Louie leaves me with the impression that I could masturbate to it.

Maybe not, but I'm certain there are healthy reminders in there to masturbate.

IdolEyes787
06-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Retard.

LosHooligun
06-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Retard.I'll second that.

Game of Thrones is awesome. It's probably one of the best fantasy/dramas out there. I thought it was a bit risky to kill off Sean Bean at the end of season 1 but so far season 2 is keeping its head above water.

mjmacky
06-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Retard.I'll second that.

Game of Thrones is awesome. It's probably one of the best fantasy/dramas out there. I thought it was a bit risky to kill off Sean Bean at the end of season 1 but so far season 2 is keeping its head above water.

Well, given that they're following the books, didn't they have to kill him? I don't know, I've never read A Song of Fire and Ice.

LosHooligun
06-04-2012, 06:41 PM
I'll second that.

Well, given that they're following the books, didn't they have to kill him? I don't know, I've never read A Song of Fire and Ice.Ah... yes. I never thought about that. Good point. I never read the books.

IdolEyes787
06-04-2012, 08:06 PM
The season 2 finale was a bit of a let down.
Didn't really gel as a whole but came across as just a bunch of well done vignettes who's only real purpose was to set things up for next season.

megabyteme
06-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Didn't really gel as a whole but came across as just a bunch of well done vignettes who's only real purpose was to set things up for next season.

I thought both the last two episodes were freaking awesome. However, I did not realize there were only 10 episodes in the season and thought, "WOW,this season is really getting going...". :(

clocker
06-05-2012, 06:04 AM
That's a problem that might only get worse.
If the series stays even remotely close to the books, you've only met about a third of the characters so far and favorites- like Tyrion and Dany- disappear for long stretches.

At this point I've decided that reading the books should be considered a completely separate experience from watching the show because it's already gone so far off the rails that comparison- or expectation-
is useless. The show does hit a few of the books high points but how they got there, or even why, is totally different.
I still enjoy the series but fear it may suffer the same fate as Rome and end prematurely.

GoT is already the most expensive TV production ever, how do you keep some of the actors tied up for the next five years at an affordable salary given their new high profile?
Will George R.R. Martin even finish the final book...he doesn't look the picture of health, does he?

IdolEyes787
06-05-2012, 11:07 AM
GoT is already the most expensive TV production ever, how do you keep some of the actors tied up for the next five years at an affordable salary given their new high profile?

I read something to that effect during the first season but it's HBO and the generated revenue is pretty clear cut. I'm sure that anyone under contract or considering being under contract is aware of the situation and balances monetary compensation with the exposure and being part of something groundbreaking.
I think any likely problems will be maintaining the production quality with rising non-acting production costs.

wazza100
06-10-2012, 01:23 AM

Agreed, I would probably have preferred leaving Blackwater as the season finale rather than this episode being the last thing we see of GOT for another 12 months.

There was a lot of aspects which I felt contributed to this lackluster season finale starting off with the poorly constructed House of the Undead. This part of the plot had been building for a couple of episodes and we were led to expect something significant from the House of the undying and from the Warlocks. What then ensued was a farcical couple of minutes of viewing with no substance and what seemed to be a whole lot of nothing. The investment and the lead up to this scene warranted more than what we were given and meant that this particular venture which was significant in the books will be forgotten very quickly if you watch the episodes only.

Winterfell and the escape of the Starks should have been done better and seemed silly to leave out the Reeds who play a significant role in the later scenes. Also the betrayal of Theon by his men came out of the blue and should have been explained this season rather than waiting till season 3 as did the reason for burning down Winterfell. I still much preferred the rendition of the Others in the pilot over the others witnessed in the finale however things should pick up next season.

mjmacky
06-10-2012, 12:26 PM
I guess it'll be awhile before either of the 2 zombie shows return :(

Busyman
06-10-2012, 04:05 PM
I still haven't watched GOT but now I can roll through both seasons. Noice.:happy:

AnnoyingYou
06-11-2012, 03:24 AM
I know that sucks. we will have to wait til April next year. Why does it take so long?

Busyman
06-12-2012, 05:39 AM
I know that sucks. we will have to wait til April next year. Why does it take so long?

Cuz usually each season of a show doesn't run in the same year and they have to write and film the episodes.

Mah 2 scence.

soulreaper
06-18-2012, 04:22 PM
My favourite tv show before dexter comes on again. :P

Missing
06-26-2012, 10:20 PM
I just finished watching the second season. I find it odd though that episode 9 seems to be more exciting than episode 10. It was like this for season 1 and 2.

Busyman
06-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Fuck, I JUST started watching the first episode and already it looks fantastic.

Missing
06-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Fuck, I JUST started watching the first episode and already it looks fantastic. Lucky you. I wish I could forget everything I saw in Game of Thrones so I could re watch it again not knowing what would happen.

Saborsoul
06-28-2012, 09:02 AM
I was waiting for it... and then there is was..."You know nothing John Snow" great line.

Busyman
07-04-2012, 07:04 AM
On S01E09 now. The show is fantastic.

I like how there is no qualm with killing....anyone. Everyone is pretty much a twat in the series save for the Starks and they seem to be the righteous, benevolent.....punching bags of the show.

That part kinda sucks. All I've seen are the Starks being bitch slapped.:ermm:

Busyman
07-08-2012, 03:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17W4QMNwm-c

:ohmy:

zatak
07-12-2012, 12:04 PM
its sucks that i got to wait months before the next season.wished i have some early access to the season-3 archives..:/

clocker
07-12-2012, 12:08 PM
You could read the books.

chalice
07-12-2012, 12:11 PM
You could read the books.

I doubt it.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 12:33 PM
I wasn't aware you could have archives for material to be made in the future.

Rart
02-17-2014, 10:22 PM
A couple trailers for the new season (ASOS pt 2) for those looking for their GOT fix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZY43QSx3Fk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ZNaLQD60Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5iS3tULXMQ

Stehle
02-18-2014, 12:11 AM
Thank you! :)

(I have my dragon fix... I'm GoT fixed now!) :alien:

megabyteme
02-18-2014, 02:48 AM
Kinda like a cereal commercial:

GoT'ta have my dwarf puffs! :w00t:

shakazulu
02-18-2014, 04:12 AM
April can't get here fast enough. For a tv show, Game of Thrones has a bigger cast and production value than 90% of the movies that are out

wai
02-24-2014, 02:24 AM
Nice trailers, cant wait for season 4!

dc11r
02-24-2014, 03:09 AM
Did their production budget increase dramatically over the past season?? seems the CGI actually looks decent this time around in the previews

Wolverine85
02-27-2014, 06:29 AM
Cant wait for this show, I hope for more action

Stehle
02-27-2014, 10:01 PM
{sigh}... :cry:

megabyteme
05-21-2014, 08:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVaD8rouJn0

Rart
06-06-2014, 03:42 PM
This would be my preferred ending to the last episode: http://gfycat.com/PowerlessHoarseAmericancrow

Also, for any of you book readers, there's a lot to look forward to in the next two episodes. :happy:

LSH
Brynden Rivers
Dragon toasting
Jaime/Tyrion/Tywin/Shae
Arya Braavos
Stannis the Mannis

The season finale is also 66 minutes I believe. There's no way with all the stuff coming up that it could be more disappointing than last year's lackluster "Mhysa".

IdolEyes787
06-06-2014, 04:41 PM
It doesn't matter what happens,it's still all downhill from Nathalie Emmanuel's nude scene.

Btw that was my penis talking.
Sometimes he just feels the need to pipe in.

megabyteme
06-06-2014, 05:00 PM
It doesn't matter what happens,it's still all downhill from Nathalie Emmanuel's nude scene.

Btw that was my penis talking.
Sometimes he just feels the need to pipe in.

No shit. She was a HUGE standout. Literally.

Now let's agree as gentlemen to NEVER discuss our peens in the same thread again. :sick:

Rart
06-06-2014, 05:02 PM
I'm much more of a Rose Leslie fan myself. Hopefully there will some incredibly urgent and pertinent reason in the middle of the battle next episode for her to strip down again. A man can dream.

megabyteme
06-06-2014, 05:07 PM
While we are on the subject of naked GoT chicks. Who'da thought Tyrian's whore was so good at playing a whore because she used to be a whore? :idunno:

NSFW link to some of her earlier works. http://www.xvideos.com/video427904/sibel_kekilli_dilara_-_das_beste_aus_teeny_exzesse_8

IdolEyes787
06-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Who'da thought Tyrian's whore was so good at playing a whore because she used to be a whore? :idunno:

You apparently.

megabyteme
06-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Who'da thought Tyrian's whore was so good at playing a whore because she used to be a whore? :idunno:

You apparently.

Stumbled across the info on this page (http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/49-things-you-never-knew-about-game-of-thrones-that-will-blo), which I was also considering making into a post. Thanks for the segue.

IdolEyes787
06-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Utterly fascinating.Some of the actors actually like each other and have lives beyond the show.:O

megabyteme
06-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Utterly fascinating.Some of the actors actually like each other and have lives beyond the show.:O

That's kinda why I led off with a teenage Sibel Kekilli getting shaved and doing anal. :naughty:

aanarcis
06-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Last episodes was so crazy, I can't wait to see what will be in the next episode. Before I refused to watch, when the whole world was doing, and now it's my favorite series.

bossmonkey200
06-09-2014, 02:06 AM
Wait till you see the final episode of the season

piercerseth
06-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Wait till you see the final episode of the season

Friendly reminder: 66 minute episode this week. If I were a betting man I'd say don't expect the race earlier than 02:12 UTC. (READ: don't start F5ing until then)

IdolEyes787
06-15-2014, 12:23 PM
Friendly reminder: 66 minute episode this week. If I were a betting man I'd say don't expect the race earlier than 02:12 UTC. (READ: don't start F5ing until then)

I wanted to be fair so I phoned Norman Lear and he would like you to know that he doesn't understand a word you're saying.

piercerseth
06-15-2014, 01:09 PM

I wanted to be fair so I phoned Norman Lear and he would like you to know that he doesn't understand a word you're saying.
:lol: For the wee NZBers, most of who won't read that. Means the free shit dinner bell rings a little later tonight. Meathead.

IdolEyes787
06-15-2014, 01:48 PM
Whatever,Newsbender.

Dueling Stark sisters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tusv8v2qenU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43L2OXoC9_c

megabyteme
06-15-2014, 06:57 PM
So, anybody plan to watch this tonight? :whistling

IdolEyes787
06-15-2014, 07:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjMffHG1V_Q

IdolEyes787
06-18-2014, 10:46 PM
Or not.Fucking rumours.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/18/game-of-thrones-season-5/

Zangaknight
06-19-2014, 01:40 AM
How does the show compare to the books?

megabyteme
06-19-2014, 01:48 AM

Books fit on a moderate shelf better
Colors are more present on show
Show has voices and special effects
More actors in the show
Electronic shows (unless captured) tend to be gone when no longer broadcast
Shows require cable/High-Speed Internet and electricity
Books require visible lighting

Books require imagination; shows require tolerance of HBO scripting changes
Tits. You get more tits with the show.

IdolEyes787
06-19-2014, 04:28 PM

Because of budgetary constraints limiting the FX,on the TV show Dany is now referred to as "The mother of cats" and instead of people being burned alive they drown in hairballs.
Also HBO didn't think that the audience would warm to a dwarf as one of the pivotal characters so on the series Tyrion is played by David Hasselhoff.

megabyteme
06-20-2014, 09:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/qaBpQde.jpg

megabyteme
06-25-2014, 08:20 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/33m5phv.jpg

Stehle
06-26-2014, 12:47 AM
Thank you for the above posts on GoT! :)

(I have all the audio books of GoT.... if I listened to the first one would I be safe to assume it would not ruin the HBO series so fat?) :alien:

(Btw,, "Mr Mercedes" by SK is very good too.) :alien:

piercerseth
06-26-2014, 01:14 AM
The ones read by Roy Dotrice? They're great. You can get away with reading all of ASoS, if you skip the epilogue.

A lot of the storyline in books 4 & 5 happen simultaneously so I'm currently listening to him read the two in this hybrid order (http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a) (mild spoilers further down the page).

Rart
06-26-2014, 09:06 AM
- Big ass picture -

I feel like that "Whoever said history was boring" quote is pretty misleading and a poor comparison. Yes, there are parallels to major figures in history but unlike in Game of Thrones they weren't all occurring at the same time, they weren't in the same small piece of the world, and they weren't intricately intertwined with eachother like they are in the books. The books are clearly a dramatization of the events they (could've been) inspired from, and while it isn't to say that history is painfully boring, it isn't exactly that Game of Thrones has revealed "history" for the hip, awesome, cool grandmother that no one ever knew about or something.

On another note...

LSH confirmed axed from the show. (http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/25/michelle-fairley-24-lady-stoneheart/) :(

The only thing I'm clinging on to now is the hope that it was just a play on words... alluding to the fact that Catelyn is, well, dead. In more ways than one.

It seems like the show is deviating from the books more and more these days...

megabyteme
06-26-2014, 09:49 AM
The takeaway I had from that, as someone who only watches the show, was GRRM had not entirely created this world of characters and events himself. I found it interesting from the perspective of someone who is currently a little better than half-way through a Master's degree in English (how did I ever get here?) how a writer could draw from a historical base without creating a history book.

Similarly, the show writers/producers are working from the books without creating an exact copy. Keeps it interesting to watch, doesn't it?

Readers of the book know of main events and characters in much the same way history buffs may know of events/bloodlines/battles without knowing what lies fully ahead. There's also the perspective of the actors who choose to not know their character's fate, as well as those of us either too illiterate/lazy/willing to wait for the shows to air to learn what direction the show will take the story.