PDA

View Full Version : Utorrent v3. what are your experience ?

Evelyn
06-25-2011, 02:32 AM
client was auto updated to v3 earlier today.
i think its "the" crappiest version of utorent, screwd-up UI, its not "mue" anymore it has grown up fatty 600+kb with loads of bloat, apps, call home, toolbar.... and what not.
my uploads where almost reduced to 25-30% of my actual speed. reverted back to v2.2 (v3 cocked-up all configurations). reconfigured v2 and now upload speed returned to normal.

megabyteme
06-25-2011, 03:12 AM
That doesn't sound too promising...

anon
06-25-2011, 03:29 AM
Haven't tried it yet, but everything I've heard (including your post) is negative. Looks like they're too busy adding features that are OK for the newbie, but only a nuisance for those of us who are advanced users.

There probably be a version without all those things, but that'd probably give the development team extra work.

ca_aok
06-25-2011, 03:53 AM
uTorrent is turning into a shittier version of Vuze. The whole movement of the 2.x series and now the 3.x series has been terrible imo.

whatcdfan
06-25-2011, 04:02 AM
Development, not for good. As Anon pointed out, adding more and more features for the newbies only making it worse. GUI also getting creepier with this 3x series.

EDIT: Come on, who needs a search engine plugin within a torrent client?

superpagla
06-25-2011, 04:09 AM
There r many problems...more than 8.....and they just added a streaming service or something......used it and throw it away...waitin for a good version....

@whatcd....AT still haven't opened....when it does I'll inform u asap....

bijoy
06-25-2011, 07:16 AM
utorrent 1.8.5 build 17414 FTW!!!!

Never upgraded that. Working smoothly for me for past 2 years :)

LazyGuy
06-25-2011, 09:07 AM
how much does this one cost ?
:ermm:

Cut-Copy-Paste
06-25-2011, 10:02 AM
how much does this one cost ?

50$.

I can make it 15$ if you can give me some Invites. You know some good site with communitieszzz :lol:

johhny
06-25-2011, 03:27 PM
i didn't test v3...but 2.1 version is very crapy it's loading very slow
still running utorrent 2.0.4

NippleCake
06-25-2011, 03:32 PM
uTorrent is turning into a shittier version of Vuze. The whole movement of the 2.x series and now the 3.x series has been terrible imo.

this person speaks the tr00th

anon
06-25-2011, 06:09 PM

Plus one.

The problem with using old versions is that if a security vulnerability affecting earlier builds was discovered, you're a sitting duck. Those still using 1.6.1 can be potentially attacked with that oversized client ID DoS exploit that was patched somewhere in the 1.7.x branch, for example.

Also, you're missing all the actually relevant fixes and additions, obviously.

And I think J-Dye gets today's PotD award...

ExtraDry
06-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Plus one.

The problem with using old versions is that if a security vulnerability affecting earlier builds was discovered, you're a sitting duck. Those still using 1.6.1 can be potentially attacked with that oversized client ID DoS exploit that was patched somewhere in the 1.7.x branch, for example.

Also, you're missing all the actually relevant fixes and additions, obviously.

And I think J-Dye gets today's PotD award...

Firon wanted everyone to think that 1.6.0 and the 1.6.1 had security vulnerability so we all update to the newest version that was backed by the mpaa, wait and see they find everything wrong with all other versions so you go the newest version 3.Not playing that game :-)

anon
06-26-2011, 11:15 PM
This particular attack was documented by TF:
http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-clients-vulnerable-to-remote-dos-attack-080117/

About the MPAA thing, every time I update my uTorrent I unpack the executable and remove the IPs and URLs which are said to be "bad", mostly out of paranoia.

Oh, and what's up with programs needlessly using every time more screen space? Happened when I switched from Opera 9.x to 10 (menus), Windows XP to 7 (files in the "details" view, Task Manager entries), and now uTorrent 3 does the same (torrent list entries). :dabs:

ElitUser
06-27-2011, 07:22 AM

as it is old version some private torrent sites does not allow this.

Evelyn
06-27-2011, 03:13 PM
as it is old version some private torrent sites does not allow this.
true , some trackers wont.
but i can see majority of them stil allowing v1.6.X, v1.8.5. & v2.X

yes v 1.8x is the best so far .... Utorrent its going in turmoil after acquisition of Utorrent by bittorrent and call-back is been injected in each build :\

anon
06-27-2011, 03:32 PM
yes v 1.8x is the best so far ....

You just made me remember that when I switched from 1.7.7 to the first stable 1.8 I was like "what the hell did they do to the interface?", too.

Polarbear
06-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Can you turn off the new features you don't need? Make them disappear?

Evelyn
06-27-2011, 09:19 PM
might be (you need to install 13 apps)

Polarbear
06-27-2011, 09:22 PM
might be (you need to install 13 apps)
What?

Swepsycho
06-27-2011, 09:27 PM
evelyn download oficial version...u dont instal 13 apps rofl....is virus..

Evelyn
06-27-2011, 10:14 PM
evelyn download oficial version...u dont instal 13 apps rofl....is virus..
lol no,
i was saying they made it double fat bloated <650kb in comparison to earlier sub 300kb versions and again you have to instal some odd apps which might again cost 1mb so cut down the nonsense things :)
btw any idea why they remove the chat form the final release ?

btw they ass-raped the definition of Mu ( μ ) which represents one millionth part of of an entity.

Polarbear
06-27-2011, 10:19 PM
They should make a classic client option available like Vuze.

Hologram
06-27-2011, 10:30 PM

+Jillion

mjmacky
06-27-2011, 10:31 PM
btw they ass-raped the definition of Mu ( μ ) which represents one millionth part of of an entity.

And you said your math skills were not so great anymore...

Evelyn
06-27-2011, 10:34 PM

And you said your math skills were not so great anymore...
no i said im not sure :)

amen !!
or any good coder get their source-code and build a good one :)

Hologram
06-27-2011, 10:39 PM
or any good stealer get their source-code and build a good one :)

Fixed that for you.

cherio
06-28-2011, 12:00 AM
I like the old version that was a just a portable exe and had no toolbar adware.

Since Bittorrent Corp. wants to turn it into a social app, I've looked into alternatives like qBittorrent and Deluge. But versions prior to 2.2.1 are good too.

edit: DLL vuln has been patched by MS so older versions are ok

ca_aok
06-28-2011, 12:37 AM
There was a Windows hotfix released for the DLL vulnerability ages ago, and I'm assuming it was officially added to a patch down the road once its effect was measured. That shouldn't be the reason for your version choice.

anon
06-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Since Bittorrent Corp. wants to turn it into a social app, I've looked into alternatives like qBittorrent and Deluge.

As I told megabyteme on that news thread, you might want to check Halite out. It has all the "essential" features and a small footprint. The great client no one uses. :P

LazyGuy
06-28-2011, 02:55 AM
Since Bittorrent Corp. wants to turn it into a social app, I've looked into alternatives like qBittorrent and Deluge.

As I told megabyteme on that news thread, you might want to check Halite out. It has all the "essential" features and a small footprint. The great client no one uses. :P
halite has some memory and cpu usage issues according to Gizmo's Freeware http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-bittorrent-client.htm
also its not as widespread as utorrent on tracker whitelists due to lesser popularity :(

is there any way to manually remove all the extra crap in utorrent 3?
like the toolbar and chat and all that potentially threatens privacy and security of the user?
that is strip it to the core

is qbitorrent accepted in all major Trackers?
like BCG IPT BG FL

ca_aok
06-28-2011, 03:15 AM
I might just start running rtorrent via cygwin.

superpagla
06-28-2011, 03:18 AM
Guyz...I used 4 or 5 BT clients and nothing is so good and simple as utorrent.....I don't know about the webUI Client but Utorrent is the the client for the rookie, for the pro and for the best type of home user....yesterday evening I installed deluge and was testing it...they said the r going to add "initial seeding" later...Deluge don't have the many features like utorrent...sometimes the deluge won't start and I have reset...etc etc etc...Then I felt sad....uninstalled the whole deluge with GTK+ and cleaned my PC....

Evelyn
06-28-2011, 09:50 AM
or any good stealer get their source-code and build a good one :)
Fixed that for you.
aren't it was open source before the acquisition :X

The cur*rent release is v 0.3.3.0 revi*sion 1205 as of 16th August 2010. dev discontinued ?

is there any way to manually remove all the extra crap in utorrent 3?
like the toolbar and chat and all that potentially threatens privacy and security of the user?
that is strip it to the core
Chat is an app inside the client you can install from app tab,
about stripping the things from the binary .. i wonder if those kind of res-hack is possible.. hash will not match to the original client result in immediate ban in trackers :S
so end result in negative :S

bijoy
06-28-2011, 10:05 AM
utorrent 1.8.5 build 17414 FTW!!!!Never upgraded that. Working smoothly for me for past 2 years :)as it is old version some private torrent sites does not allow this. At least BCG allows this version anf that's enogh for me. :)

I might just start running rtorrent via cygwin.

the best idea. If I ever come back at private trackers in far future, I would use this udea, as after vuze, bittorrent inc. in going down. :(

anon
06-28-2011, 01:44 PM
funkysourav: thanks for the link and tip. It's still worth a try, however. The reviewer himself said resource usage was very low for him.

The cur*rent release is v 0.3.3.0 revi*sion 1205 as of 16th August 2010. dev discontinued ?

Indeed it's been a while since the last update, I've also posted that in the news thread.

about stripping the things from the binary .. i wonder if those kind of res-hack is possible.. hash will not match to the original client result in immediate ban in trackers :S

Not necessarily (there is no "hash" sent to the tracker). You may be able to edit some UI things via resource hacking (e.g. that stupid drop box at the bottom of the category list), but I've never done that, and don't know what the consequences may be. It'll never be as efficient as if the crap wasn't there to begin with, though.

If anyone wants a list of the IPs and strings I remove from the executable, I can post that. I think I've already done so once.

Evelyn
06-28-2011, 09:25 PM

If anyone wants a list of the IPs and strings I remove from the executable, I can post that. I think I've already done so once.
What is the significant of removing them ? if its related to my privacy & not chance to get banned in tracker i would love those ....

anon
06-28-2011, 09:56 PM
They're just a few IPs and hosts which are said to be "bad". I cannot confirm that nor claim removing them will make you 100% secure.

Since I'm already posting, here they are.

http://update.utorrent.com/hang.php
download.utorrent.com
update.utorrent.com
http://search.utorrent.com/search.php?q=%U&e=%U&u=1&source=%U
llsw.download3.utorrent.com
ll.download3.utorrent.com
http://update.utorrent.com/uninstall?type=%s-%U&h=%s
http://update.utorrent.com/installoffer.php
/crash.php?ver=%dU&h=%s&p=%dU&pr=%dU&s=%dU&svp=%d&ov=%d

IPs are changed an invalid one (000.000.000.000), the others are filled with null characters.

These are to bootstrap DHT, i.e. get initial nodes. I don't usually remove them.

router.bittorrent.com
router.utorrent.com

These I haven't tried removing yet. Doing so may or may not (are there any other possibilities?) break something. The ones colored red may make the installation wizard crash.

http://apps.bittorrent.com/store/store.btapp
http://apps.bittorrent.com/discoverContent/discoverContent.btapp
http://apps.bittorrent.com/utorrent-onboarding/welcome.btapp
http://yogi.apps.bittorrent.com/track/?data=%s&ip=1
http://apps.bittorrent.com
http://%s/checkupdate.php
http://%s/updatestats.php
http://%s/installstats.php
http://%s/offers/ut-en-conduit-20110330.exe
http://%s/offers/ut_conduit-20110119.bmp

cherio
06-28-2011, 10:37 PM

I haven't tried that one yet. Thanks for the recommendation :)

ca_aok
06-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Why don't you just redirect those to localhost in your host files instead of patching the executable? Neglecting anon, who is likely patching *other* stuff in.

anon
06-29-2011, 01:32 AM
Why don't you just redirect those to localhost in your host files instead of patching the executable?

You can do that. Or use an IP blocker. Or nullroute them to death.

Sylar666
06-30-2011, 04:49 PM
So far seems OK. Client has been stable and uploads/downloads have been fast enough. The GUI is a little bit weird, takes some time to get used to.

cinephilia
07-04-2011, 08:48 PM
still using the 1.8.2

Artemis
07-07-2011, 10:39 PM
still using the 1.8.2

Right with you on 1.8.4 :naughty:

anon
07-08-2011, 02:17 AM
still using the 1.8.2

What's wrong with 1.8.5? :unsure:

I've updated to 3.0. I spent a while messing with the "gui" advanced options so that it'd look less repulsive, however.

Seed007
07-08-2011, 10:27 AM
still using the 1.8.2

2.2.1 (build 25302)

karachidude
07-08-2011, 10:53 AM
there were some versions that would crash,but most of them are stable,i just let it update auto and no problems,dont know what the fuss is bout

anon
07-08-2011, 01:24 PM
i just let it update auto and no problems,dont know what the fuss is bout

Some trackers are pretty picky about which versions they allow people to use. Update to a new one as soon as it comes out and you may find yourself unable to leech or seed.

cinephilia
07-08-2011, 03:06 PM
What's wrong with 1.8.5? :unsure:
i got speed issues with the 1.8.5. don't ask me why, i don't have a clue

giddy7
07-09-2011, 08:33 PM
so far so good, did not get any troubles. and i like its appearance.

imshteam
07-15-2011, 07:52 PM
before downloading it i have a qustion, can you watch("stream") a torrent before it is fully downloaded when its splitted to several archives?

LazyGuy
07-16-2011, 02:20 AM
Installed Utorrent 3 ,
but BCG has banned utorrent 3, so had to switch back to utorrent 2.2 build 23703

also utorrent is planning to go paid version with utorrent+
time for me to start looking for replacement (maybe Halite as anon advised)

stoi
07-16-2011, 02:30 AM
We havnt banned it we just havnt allowed it yet, whether we will or not remains to be seen.

anon
07-16-2011, 03:05 AM

There will still be a free version. The "plus" one is for people who don't know how to transcode or transfer videos.

I think this is good as at least they won't bloat the thing even more for non-paying users.

superpagla
07-16-2011, 03:15 AM
We havnt banned it we just havnt allowed it yet, whether we will or not remains to be seen.

I already requested the new version at BCG, I tried & tested 3.0 stable version and it works fine now. I has good speed and can seed very well. My friend a good programmer follow the source code....and he said it's fine now and better than 2.2.1. Stoi...so pls add it to BCG soon.....

There will still be a free version. The "plus" one is for people who don't know how to transcode or transfer videos.
I think this is good as at least they won't bloat the thing even more for non-paying users.
Thnx anon....that's some good news you shared us...

anon
07-16-2011, 03:21 AM
My friend a good programmer follow the source code....and he said it's fine now and better than 2.2.1.

He's "following" the source code of uTorrent? :mellow:

LazyGuy
07-16-2011, 06:13 AM
Uh sorry, i misunderstood
when i installed Utorrent3,
all the BCG torrents turned red and
the tracker status was saying "This Client has been banned"

so i had to make a backup of the appdata and install the previous

i want to install some other program but i am confused as to how i will port all the active torrents to the other client

imshteam
07-16-2011, 11:22 AM
before downloading it i have a qustion, can you watch("stream") a torrent before it is fully downloaded when its splitted to several archives?

no one knows?
because it is actually possible, the question is if utorrent does it for me?

superpagla
07-16-2011, 12:39 PM
I could play incomplete file if first few pieces were completed a little bit in every utorrent version...that's how i checked the movie quality.... But i have no idea about streaming....

imshteam
07-16-2011, 01:40 PM
yes, thats what i meant. The question is if utorrent does this for you?

anon
07-16-2011, 05:32 PM
i want to install some other program but i am confused as to how i will port all the active torrents to the other client

Add all your torrents one by one and point them to the same directory. Most clients should realize the files are there, do a hash check, and then begin seeding. uTorrent's stats (uploaded, downloaded, ratio, etc.) won't be ported this way, obviously.

pastoral
07-16-2011, 11:14 PM
I do not much like the new version, either. I still stick around on 1.6

anon
07-17-2011, 12:00 AM

If you're going to stick to old code, I'd recommend something on the 1.8.x branch, at least.

ca_aok
07-17-2011, 12:49 AM
I miss 1.7.7. Hammering the tracker ftw? Luckily, Shift+T in rtorrent accomplishes the same thing.

pastoral
07-17-2011, 02:35 AM

If you're going to stick to old code, I'd recommend something on the 1.8.x branch, at least.

Thanks for your advice, but I can't find them. There are no more download links for old versions at official uTorrent site.

anon
07-17-2011, 02:51 AM
There are no more download links for old versions at official uTorrent site.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_utorrent/history/ :)

pastoral
07-18-2011, 01:10 AM
There are no more download links for old versions at official uTorrent site.

Thank you. You have been very helpful.

superpagla
07-18-2011, 10:26 AM
BCG has added this 4 clients....Libtorrent 0.12.9, Transmission 2.32, Deluge 1.3.2, Utorrent 3.0

Thnx stoi

a7x
07-18-2011, 05:33 PM

nice.thanks for this link! :)

CleverMan
07-18-2011, 07:40 PM
still there are people who don't know what google is... filehippo appears in first lines if you search for utorrent old versions

a7x
07-18-2011, 07:44 PM
i got my utorrent 1.8.5 from adult-cinema-network.net but look like that torrent already removed.silly i never thought of google.

anon
08-01-2011, 06:32 PM
After a while, I've noticed two problems with uTorrent 3.0:
1. if I limit my upload speed, no matter what I set it to, speeds will be reduced. So if I'm uploading at 60kB/s and limit upload to 10000, speed goes below 30. :rolleyes:
2. DHT seems to be erratic. Sometimes it works fine, but often the amount of nodes will slowly decrease to zero, then it'll be perpetually stuck at "waiting to login". Turning it off and on doesn't do anything.

Anyone having those issues?

superpagla
08-01-2011, 06:43 PM
if I limit my upload speed, no matter what I set it to, speeds will be reduced. So if I'm uploading at 60kB/s and limit upload to 10000, speed goes below 30.
When I first installed v3....I had the same problem.....but after reinstalling my windows(not for this problem) i think this problem is gone now......

v3 had many problems....its still updating now....u can submit bug report at utorrent forum...I submitted two while testing beta....They fix and upgrade very fast...:)

anon
08-01-2011, 07:01 PM
When I first installed v3....I had the same problem.....but after reinstalling my windows(not for this problem) i think this problem is gone now......

Well, that's good, because apparently another release of the modded Windows 7 I'm using will be out soon and I so planned to reinstall.

v3 had many problems....its still updating now....u can submit bug report at utorrent forum...I submitted two while testing beta....They fix and upgrade very fast...:)

I only report bugs (on any program) when a stream of new versions doesn't magically solve them. I'm kind of stupid that way.