PDA

View Full Version : Windows Download Managers for Windows XP?

PastTense
06-25-2011, 03:45 AM
Recommendations? (with reasons.)

Integrated with Firefox?

Do you use more than one (one for Fileserve, a different one for Youtube...)?

Thanks.

whatcdfan
06-25-2011, 04:18 AM
I have tried almost everything A complete list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_download_managers) and I did not find anything as good as IDM ( http://internetdownloadmanager.com ). Also, the fact that most of the advanced users use only IDM.

Integrated with Firefox?

FF has Support for third party plugins/Add-ons (unlike Chrome and Opera) , so everything that is meant to be integrated, gets integrated with FF, no issues with that. As far as IDM is concerned, it has a feature called "Advanced browser integration" which integrates it with the browser's network driver.

And a very unique feature of IDM is it's ability to resume downloads from the servers which either do not support resume or generate a new session ID for every download, IDM has the ability to check the links within itself to refresh the download link or to generate a new session ID to resume the downloads.

Stabber
06-25-2011, 03:30 PM
IDM is one of the reasons i use windows , it's a great piece of software and it always max my speed

anon
06-25-2011, 06:12 PM
jDownloader. It can download practically anything, do segmented downloading, and "magically" resume some files as well. The downsize is that its Java-based, but that's not an issue if you've got enough RAM.

If you still need something light, FlashGet Mini worked pretty well for me. There's an unofficial English version on the Internet. I've also heard wonders about the aforementioned IDM, but never tried it myself.

shakshuka
06-25-2011, 06:28 PM
IDM its the best download manager...
i cant download a file in other way.

mjmacky
06-25-2011, 07:43 PM
I used to cycle the download managers with Firefox, the one that I've stuck with out of the lot was DownThemAll

zot
06-25-2011, 07:52 PM
I've seen warnings about Flashget having non-optional spyware. (I don't know what the current situation is, but it never hurts to be vigilant.)

Free Download Manager (free and open source) used to be at the head of the pack, but development has stalled lately - and I don't think it's set up for DDL and video ripping. (I never used IDM, I should try it.)

Since you mention DDL file-hosting sites and video sites, the only downloader I have used that is made specifically for that usage is Jdownloader. The only thing I did not like about Jdownloader is that it's auto-update cannot be disabled.

mjmacky
06-25-2011, 08:05 PM
I would say the only reason I'm not using Jdownloader is I don't actually download videos from flash sites and I don't grab things from DDL sites all that often. So I guess the recommendation should depend on the intent of use.

anon
06-25-2011, 08:36 PM
The only thing I did not like about Jdownloader is that it's auto-update cannot be disabled.

Apparently, the hostname for the update servers follow a updateX.jdownloader.org naming convention where X is a number, so they could be blocked via hosts file or a firewall. But that'd probably stop any updating from working altogether.

The "mini" version of FlashGet I tried didn't have any malware, but I can't comment on the full one.

Stabber
06-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Downthemall has some bugs i think , it makes my system freeze sometimes for no reason . jdownloader is bloated , but it's very useful for those who don't have premium account to a fileserver

anon
06-26-2011, 12:34 AM
I switched from RDesc to jDownloader because of the former's growing trouble getting downloads to run (sometimes it'd get caught in an endless loop or skip files for no reason), but it may still be worth a try if resource usage is important. RDesc is .NET-based and requires much less processing power.

Hologram
06-26-2011, 12:01 PM
IDM here.

Stabber
06-26-2011, 01:29 PM
btw does idm support the new version of firefox (aka firefox 5) ?

johhny
06-26-2011, 07:34 PM
IDM the best :)

yeah the new version of IDM support FF5

scottperez
06-27-2011, 10:44 AM
IDM is the best and works heaven for me, but there are many websites which have restricted download links to be downloaded by IDM (websites like filesonic, wupload etc) but still hotfile, and rapidshare seems to work fine with IDM , great downloads with IDM, it also helps you to download videos form video sharing webistes like youtube and much more :)

hidownload is also a similar piece of software that can be helpful to you :)

anon
06-27-2011, 02:48 PM
IDM is the best and works heaven for me, but there are many websites which have restricted download links to be downloaded by IDM (websites like filesonic, wupload etc)

IDM must have an option to edit your User-Agent string. Change it and see if it works.

I can't comment on Wupload, but Filesonic has an API precisely so that programs like this have an easier and less prone to breaking way of performing tasks, so I'd be surprised if they blocked one of them in purpose.

whatcdfan
06-27-2011, 03:38 PM
btw does idm support the new version of firefox (aka firefox 5) ?

IDM and firefox both are pioneers in their respective fields, they will be no short of development, be rest of sure.

I haven't updated my IDM yet but with the "advanced browser integration" feature is on, I am still able to catch everything with IDM in FF 5. You need to update IDM to 6.06 build 8.

IDM is the best and works heaven for me, but there are many websites which have restricted download links to be downloaded by IDM (websites like filesonic, wupload etc) but still hotfile, and rapidshare seems to work fine with IDM , great downloads with IDM, it also helps you to download videos form video sharing webistes like youtube and much more :)

hidownload is also a similar piece of software that can be helpful to you :)

The support for different filehosts will be added in the upcoming updates of IDM as it has been done in the previous developments.

IDM must have an option to edit your User-Agent string. Change it and see if it works.

IDM has that option, I just forgot about it, thanks for the idea, friend :)

superpagla
06-28-2011, 03:46 AM
PastTense, If u r an XP user then use I would suggest, IDM integrated with firefox. And also use JD without the clipboard monitoring...
IDM can grab the best speed of anything while jdownloader is essential for any user[specially free user like me] who use ddl site...

Update is very important for JD cuz becaz of its update, JD is so unique..Few days ago I asked Jiaz to add uploadfa and uploadbaz and JD updated cuz of that....Another example of that is may be 2 months ago mediafire started captcha system. In morning Mipony and JD having problem downloading from MF...But in the evening there is a update and MF problem is solved in JD. But in mipony It took four days to solve that problem.....

In summery I use IDM for any direct download link, use JD for free file-hosting sites.and use mipony as link detector[not a checker].
I faced problem using JD and mipony in XP[not sure why]. Now I use 7.....

[In firefox 5 or 4, the idm cc(firefox integration add on) is having problem, Just go here (http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/support/firefox_integration.html) and here (http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/support/firefox_integration2.html)(detailed instructions on the next page).]

tucan
06-28-2011, 10:44 AM
i like downthemall for firefox my reason is simple its quick easy and does what i need

whatcdfan
06-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Even the Mobil oil does what I need still people use lubricant.

SkyChat
07-01-2011, 04:03 AM
IDM is the best download manager.