PDA

View Full Version : Newsleecher Alternative?

duke0102
06-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Hello all, I'm hoping for a little help/advice.
Newsleechers Supersearch has been playing up no-end, as many users may unfortunately know, so I'm gonna cancel them and move if I can.
Has anyone got any suggestions for alternatives? Can be paid or free but needs a quick index like SS used to be. I've tried Usenet Explorer's trial and really didn't like that, horrible UI in my opinion.

Thank you very much.
Duke

zot
06-25-2011, 06:32 PM
You might want to give Newsbin Pro a try. It seems a lot of ex-Newsleecher users have ended up there.

I agree that UE takes some getting used to.

duke0102
06-25-2011, 06:40 PM
I completely forgot about newsbin pro lol Thank you very much for that Zot
Not as pretty as NL but much better than UE lol

cola
06-26-2011, 02:27 AM
I hear News Bin V6 is better, haven't made the upgrade myself yet though.

jefffisher
06-26-2011, 03:14 AM
what's wrong with supersearch? it works great for me by far the fastest indexer/searcher there is. gets everything 15 minutes to half hour faster than other services.

duke0102
06-26-2011, 08:36 AM
what's wrong with supersearch? it works great for me by far the fastest indexer/searcher there is. gets everything 15 minutes to half hour faster than other services.

It's not indexing quite a few groups properly and as a result many files come up damaged or missing when there not. Loads of people having same issues from what I can tell on there forum and others sites.
Plus Newsleechers support is rubbish, I've sent 2 polite emails in and made a few posts on there forum and all ignored.

zot
06-26-2011, 04:19 PM
It seems like a lot of Newsleecher users have been complaining about problems getting ignored. I was just looking at the forum and a lot of questions - going back months - have gone unanswered.

duke0102
06-27-2011, 09:28 AM
problems getting ignored

Yeh, I spent a few days trawling there forum to try and find answers and get answers. The site admin seems to ignore the supersearch issues and as a result has at least lost one customer.

The best free alternative I found on my travels is nzbindex.nl which is up to date to about 5min which is really quick for a free service but I need quicker for the uploads I do.
I went for newsbin and seems pretty good so far.

Big thanks Zot and Cola for the helpful replies as well :D

Hypatia
06-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Usenet Explorer FTW.

And its not an alternative to NL. Its far superior to NL.

sandman_1
06-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Usenet Explorer FTW.

I might have to check this one out. How does it fare with Newsbin Pro?

duke0102
06-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Usenet Explorer FTW.

Superior as in lower cost but it's not as quick as others

Hypatia
06-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Cost? Well that counts too especially against newsbin with paid search engine (~60/year)

Superior because it has more useful features which newsleecher doesnt have at all by the way, it has normal search engine(stable), it is very stable software overall

Superior because it doesnt need installation and it doesnt have DRM with annoying online checking.

And i dont have any problems with speed. Getting 16Mbyte at the moment.
All this using VERY little RAM unlike other clients especially newsbin6

Yes interface might be considered "outdated" and UE itself is sophisticated in a good sense

Its not for newsbies.

Stabber
06-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Once you get used to the gui of newsbin pro there is no better newsreader imho

duke0102
07-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Once you get used to the gui of newsbin pro there is no better newsreader imho

I've been a user of Newsleecher for years so was sad to leave them but annoyed at how shitty there support is. the support with Newsbin Pro is very good, asked a question about adding a group to search and got a near instant reply and job done same day. I asked the same with NL and they never replied or added (maybe 2 weeks ago)

OldIronTits
07-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Alt.Binz