PDA

View Full Version : What's A Good Pc Joystick For Under 50 Bucks?

darkewolf
11-11-2003, 05:12 AM
Hi guys an gals-

I'm looking to start playing games on this machine, and been shopping around for a joystick to use. Planning to use it for first-person shooter games, flight simulator, and prolly some racing games, and demolition derby style games.

I'm thinking about the Saitek Cyborg EVO since it's got a lot of features that look like they would come in handy (no pun intended) such as the twist control and the programable buttons. Anybody got any actual experience with one of these? That throttle control looks kinda in the way?

Anybody got any recommendations on good sticks that they have actually used? My main concerns are how well they work with the games, how easy are they to install (drivers and plug and pray), and compatiblility with win98se. Having enough buttons for programming stuff into is another secondary concern.
I could also use some recommendations of sticks NOT to buy, since I dont wanna spend money on a piece of crap ;)

Thanks!
DW

Evil Gemini
11-11-2003, 07:02 AM
I havent been able to find a descent gamepad for pc. What you should buy is oen of those PSX to USB adapters and you can use your PSX gamepad on your PC :D

I have an adapter and i can plug 2 psx pads in the one usb port. Its compatible with ps2 pads too.

My adapter cost me around AU$60 but im sure you could find a cheaper one.

BWT thisadapter requires absolutely no drivers if your on windows XP and you wont have any problems with it.

toddiscool
11-11-2003, 07:07 AM
yep there is no better game pad than a PSX one, I have the same thing. I got mine for 7 dollars canadain. I could not live without if for new games. (most old games will not support the anolog controls, or the controller in many cases.)

Although for FPS I will take keyboard and mouse, but this is great for racing and sports games.

Russo
11-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Saitek P880 Dual Analog is the best and highest rated you can get for the money. i think i paid under $30

darkewolf
11-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by neattairoski@11 November 2003 - 07:02
I havent been able to find a descent gamepad for pc. What you should buy is oen of those PSX to USB adapters and you can use your PSX gamepad on your PC :D

I have an adapter and i can plug 2 psx pads in the one usb port. Its compatible with ps2 pads too.

My adapter cost me around AU$60 but im sure you could find a cheaper one.

BWT thisadapter requires absolutely no drivers if your on windows XP and you wont have any problems with it.
Hey guys- I appreciate the responses so far. Gonna respond to them in the order that they've arrived.

would one of those adapters and a psx pad work on win98se tho? I dont plan to move to whistler (xp) anytime in the future, so I wanna make sure that it will work with the version that I'm running.
Also...believe it or not...I dont have a playstation. Had an old ps1 a couple of years back, but sold it. Never bought another gamedeck after that. Havent really done much in the way of gaming in quite a while, except for some of the shit on yahoo.
LOL and no, tisn't one of those "I got a life" kinda things....it's more like one of those "I got no MONEY kinda things".

okay, fill me in, why would it be better to play a first-person-shooter with the standard hardware? I've played Aliens vs Predator (a fps) on the mouse and keyboard, and even with programming the keys myself, it felt kinda awkward, and when I started getting up into the levels, I just couldnt respond fast enough. To somebody who's a mediocre typist, how would I be at an advantage if I were playing head to head with somebody else? (I really AM asking honestly, there isnt any sarcasm there....honestly, there ain't. Or in any of this post. Just honest curiosity.)

I'm definitely seeing a trend so far, of gampads vs joysticks. other than familiarity to the gamedecks, is there a reason? I can see how they would be easier to store, since they are smaller.

BTW- I'm NOT trying to be critical of what you guys are telling me. I really do appreciate the insights.

Thanks for the input so far guys/gals! I really appreciate it :D

-DW

TheDave
11-11-2003, 01:30 PM
i got a cyborg 2000 for £30 but it starts to develop a twitch after a bit

Cygnuz-Y
11-11-2003, 02:54 PM
I agree that PSX controller is the best for PC , i have one of those, but i aswell have one of this wich rock too...

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=104594 (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=2071&pcount=&Product_Id=104594)

http://images.belkin.com/F8GBPC001/FUL1_F8GBPC001.jpg

You can map keyboard keys to the controller ANY KEYWORD KEY AND MOUSE BUTTON.. B)

TheDave
11-11-2003, 04:02 PM
you can plug a normal playstation pad almost straight into your pc. all you need is the drivers, (cant remember what they are) cotton buds, old fashioned printer lead and some sticky-back-plastic :D

Cygnuz-Y
11-11-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by TheDave@11 November 2003 - 16:02
you can plug a normal playstation pad almost straight into your pc. all you need is the drivers, (cant remember what they are) cotton buds, old fashioned printer lead and some sticky-back-plastic :D
I have those drivers, i can send them to anyone that needs them... :P Just Pm

toddiscool
11-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by darkewolf@11 November 2003 - 07:37
would one of those adapters and a psx pad work on win98se tho?

Yes it will, better than on XP BTW.

okay, fill me in, why would it be better to play a first-person-shooter with the standard hardware? 
In first person shooters there is just two many buttons that have to used for a gamepad to work right. crouch, stand, jump, reload,fir 1, fire 2, melee, it just dont work right. In my opinion. Aswell aiming, I cannot use the sticks to ai,k, and would take a mouse any day.

If you are really into first person shooters I would spend the money on a good mouse instead.

Nightwolf
11-11-2003, 09:03 PM
I've had two Gravis Eliminator's (http://www.gravis.com/products/pro_eli_d1022.html) hooked up to my PC for several years now, and I think they work pretty well. Of course I haven't tried anything else, so I can't say how it compares with other gamepads.

For first-person shooters, I use the analog stick with my left hand to move, L1 to jump and L2 to crouch, while I use my 5 button optical mouse to aim, fire, reload, fire secondary, run, zoom, and switch weapons. :D

darkewolf
11-12-2003, 06:36 AM
ok, so say that I go down to gameco, or to bestbuy/circuit city, or wherever, and get myself a gamepad for the ps. Ps1...or ps2? where can I buy the adapters? (american)
please, do send me the drivers, my email is on my profile, I'll reply, and you can attach the files to the response. Thanks! (Just remember to mention it in the subject line...lots of spam on Earthlink.)
Also, using the adapter...is it plug and pray (win98se) or would I have to shut down, plug it in, and then reboot?

Cygnus-Y- that is one EVIL looking controller! :D

Toddiscool- Now that I think about it, I DO agree that aiming in a FPS would be easier by mouse, especially with my Fellows Internet Touchpad, where all I gotta do is slide my finger along it, then tap the screen. It worked pretty well using it that way for AvP. Rapid fire wasn't great...buuuuut....

The Dave - a "twitch"? could you please give me some more info on this "twitch"? how long did it take to develope, how does it act when it does it, what kind of gaming do you use it for? Did you try reinstalling drivers?

Hrm...side thought. PS gamepad wouldnt need a USB port, so no rescources going into the USB. Hmmmmmmmm....

Ok, another question. Why have FPS become so damned complicated over the years? They seem like a cross between doom, mario, link, and who knows what else. Seems like you gotta have a guide just to be able to play them...not to mention all of the jump over this, push that into this place, grab this, to put it there, any games around right now that are just SHOOTER games?

Nightwolf
11-12-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by darkewolf@12 November 2003 - 01:36
any games around right now that are just SHOOTER games?
Serious Sam is just a 'shoot anything that moves' kind of game. Hard to find it, though.

Gre1
11-12-2003, 03:12 PM
I have this controller I paid about 25 dollars for it it's kinda good but I haven't use it fully.

http://store5.yimg.com/I/digitalgiftworld_1763_6826475.jpg

miffo
11-12-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Nightwolf+12 November 2003 - 08:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nightwolf @ 12 November 2003 - 08:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-darkewolf@12 November 2003 - 01:36
any games around right now that are just SHOOTER games?
Serious Sam is just a &#39;shoot anything that moves&#39; kind of game. Hard to find it, though. [/b][/quote]
however it&#39;s not expensive to buy
I found it on klite a while ago
and yupp there&#39;s a lot of shootin

agree that a cordless (preferrably optical) mouse with 4 or more buttons will do the trick with a fsp fire, reload, aiming, use btn, secondary fire, toggle guns goes a lot faster
then the free hand can easily be used to movement controls

darkewolf
11-13-2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Gre1@12 November 2003 - 15:12
I have this controller I paid about 25 dollars for it it&#39;s kinda good but I haven&#39;t use it fully.

http://store5.yimg.com/I/digitalgiftworld_1763_6826475.jpg
I think I&#39;ve seen that one...doesn&#39;t it have air vents in it, to like, blow air on your hands, while you play, to keep ya from getting sweaty palms?

Serious Sam. Cool, I&#39;ll keep that one in mind, thanks&#33;

How about sniper games?

Gre1
11-13-2003, 01:23 AM
Yes, it&#39;s a Airflo u can turn it low or high and it will keep them from getting sweaty.

Cygnuz-Y
11-13-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Gre1@13 November 2003 - 01:23
Yes, it&#39;s a Airflo u can turn it low or high and it will keep them from getting sweaty.
hahahahha, you have to be kidding, AIRFLOW :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gre1
11-13-2003, 01:32 AM
What&#39;s so funny.

Cygnuz-Y
11-13-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Gre1@13 November 2003 - 01:32
What&#39;s so funny.
Airflow controller so that your hands dont get Sweaty, thats the funniest shit i have heard...

Sounds cool, i should get one... :D

Nightwolf
11-13-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by darkewolf@12 November 2003 - 20:11
&nbsp; How about sniper games?
Some good games that have sniper rifles in them...

Half-Life (and Team Fortress & Counterstrike mods)
No One Lives Forever
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Deus Ex
Ghost Recon
America&#39;s Army
GTA3 and Vice City

If you&#39;re looking for an all-sniper game, there was this one but it got lousy reviews...

http://pc.ign.com/articles/375/375133p1.html

Gre1
11-13-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Cygnuz-Y+12 November 2003 - 20:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cygnuz-Y @ 12 November 2003 - 20:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gre1@13 November 2003 - 01:32
What&#39;s so funny.
Airflow controller so that your hands dont get Sweaty, thats the funniest shit i have heard...

Sounds cool, i should get one... :D [/b][/quote]
I bought it because I wanted a controller to play the game on the computer and I like that one, and there is nothing wrong with it. They have one for PS2 it originally came out for that u can just look at it and see that. It sound like u are being sarcastic though, I don&#39;t know.

Triadcool
11-13-2003, 03:29 AM
A real computer gamer uses the keyboard. :lol: j/k

InverseKinetix
11-13-2003, 03:47 AM
Sanwa supply make pretty good arcade style sticks, I have 2 hooked up to my mame box. Never had a problem

neevakee
11-13-2003, 03:49 AM
I have a microsoft force feedback sidewinder pro. This is the orginal one and i picked it up 4 years ago for 50 bucks. It is still a great joystick espetialy for flight simulators. For firs person shooters I have been meaning to get a pad, but the joystick and keyboard do very good job. One note is joysticks take up a signfigant amount of room on your desk so make sure you have the space.

darkewolf
11-13-2003, 04:25 AM
woohoo&#33; Breaking 300 posts&#33; :D

I&#39;ve never been a fan of the feedback controllers, but I know that a lot of peeps like them. I&#39;d prolly turn the feedback off, if I got one that had it. Wireless sounds interesting, but my wallet screams in pain, when I see the pricetag on them.

I can remember some particular intense street-fighter type games where sweaty hands started to become a problem, back on the ol&#39; ps1. so the fans could be an interesting addition to a controller. Heh, I also remember a couple of times that the controller got yanked outta my hands by a sore loser, HAHA.

Afraid that I cant read that article. it just comes up with an advert page, but thanks. I&#39;ve got another thread where I&#39;m asking about sniper games, but extra input is always good.

desktop space may, or may not be an issue. It all just depends. But yeah, seeing how big the footprint on the joysticks are, I can already tell that they&#39;re gonna take up some room. A controller that I can just toss into a drawer could be a good thing.

Just curious- I&#39;ve never used a controller with the comp before, can you just leave them in, when you arent playing, and still be able to use the board, and mouse? or will they disable those?

Also, if I should get one that&#39;s usb...will a usb hub power them? I&#39;ve tried using my hub with my scanner, my UPS, my external hdd, digital camera, and webcam. the hub gave me messages saying that it didnt have sufficient power for either of the cams...even tho one of them was plugged into the wall.

Gre1
11-13-2003, 04:56 AM
Yes, my controller is just plugged in it has been for about a week or so but it has nothing to do with the keyboard and stuff it&#39;s just hardware.

toddiscool
11-13-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by darkewolf@12 November 2003 - 23:25
Also, if I should get one that&#39;s usb...will a usb hub power them? I&#39;ve tried using my hub with my scanner, my UPS, my external hdd, digital camera, and webcam. the hub gave me messages saying that it didnt have sufficient power for either of the cams...even tho one of them was plugged into the wall.
As long as the hub is pwered you should be fine (had a power adapter on it.)

darkewolf
11-13-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by toddiscool+13 November 2003 - 06:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (toddiscool &#064; 13 November 2003 - 06:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-darkewolf@12 November 2003 - 23:25
As long as the hub is pwered you should be fine (had a power adapter on it.) [/b][/quote]
aye, that&#39;s what I thought, about those cameras, too

thanks Gre1