PDA

View Full Version : Windows forgot password of XLSX file.. please help

Evelyn
07-01-2011, 02:00 AM
i don't know if this is relevant section to post this but im taking my chances.

I need to bypass the password for .xlsx file saved using office 2010. This is very important doc (contains classified important stuffs ) so i saved it using a password but now i forgot the password :cry:
I can't use brute-force on it, as i know its a very strong password and it will take years to find my password in that file.
I tried VBA method but those are meant for pre-2007 saved excel files, tried hex-edir but not able to find the DPB stings :(

please help.

Cabalo
07-01-2011, 02:02 AM
I know there's a tool which uses your GPU for brute forcing passwords, which is hundreds of times faster than what a CPU can do.
I just don't remember where I read about that, but you can certainly find it on google in a couple of minutes.

anon
07-01-2011, 02:11 AM
Indeed GPU cracking is much faster. This (http://www.passwordrecoverytools.com/excel-password.asp) program is apparently capable of doing so. Good luck if you try it, you're going to need it.

Off topic, but since we're talking about GPUs - is there a reliable and stable way of using video RAM as swap space, i.e. using it as "real" RAM? I have a GeForce with 512MB of memory, but I only play ADOM and (sometimes) GTA Vice City, so a few hundred megabytes of that could be better used to speed up my computer somewhat. I looked in Google but only found beta stuff, and for Linux.

Evelyn
07-01-2011, 02:43 AM
Accent EXCEL Password Recovery saying 90+ days :(

anon
07-01-2011, 05:40 PM
No one said it'd be easy. In theory, brute force can crack anything given enough time, but unless you have a NSA supercomputer you should have more realistic expectations (specially since you claim to have used a very strong password).

Cabalo
07-01-2011, 09:49 PM
If you had 2x HD6870 in crossfire, you would do that in a week or less. :naughty:

Evelyn
07-02-2011, 05:45 AM
If you had 2x HD6870 in crossfire, you would do that in a week or less. :naughty:
weekss..... no...........
Btw i had an older version in xls format. that have been hex-edited & opened .. it almost contained 75% of data so reworked & now saving without password for my next entire life.
It seems all the fies have been corrupted in VBA part :( denying any password

Cabalo
07-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Or would you call that encryption instead ?

anon
07-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Btw i had an older version in xls format. that have been hex-edited & opened .. it almost contained 75% of data so reworked & now saving without password for my next entire life.

It doesn't have to be like that if you need passwords for whatever reason. A simple way to create a secure password, think of one or more words.

filesharingtalk
Then you replace some letters with numbers.

fil3sh4rin6t4lk
Then you replace other letters with symbols.

f!l3$h4r!n6t4lk
And you can add some of them at the beginning and/or end to make it even more secure:

|-f!l3$h4r!n6t4lk-|

There you go, a secure password that's easier to remember. A middle point between "123456" and long random strings.

zot
07-02-2011, 05:57 PM
^^ It was a good trick 20 or 30 years ago, but the problem is that these 'classic' letter-to-number substitutions are now well-known, and dictionary-attack methods have been employing them for a long time

Even Google is wise to this; search for "c0mput3r" and Google returns results for "computer"

anon
07-02-2011, 06:08 PM
^^ It was a good trick 20 or 30 years ago, but the problem is that these 'classic' letter-to-number substitutions are now well-known, and dictionary-attack methods have been employing them for a long time

It's better than nothing, though.

Even Google is wise to this; search for "c0mput3r" and Google returns results for "computer"

That doesn't count. They're Google. They know everything. :idunno:

Evelyn
07-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Or would you call that encryption instead ?
dont know mate this whole bloody office thing is still a mystery for me, it do different things at different time based on his mood :(
for me the only working thing is M$ project, excel suks big time making me feels like mentally challenged.

aktiv8
07-04-2011, 08:41 PM
just out of curiosity xlsx (and docx files etc for that matter) are just Zip containers for the xml files etc (rename any file to a zip extension and load in winrar or similar) and you can see all the files, just a matter how and what is therefore passworded with relation to getting the data

Evelyn
07-06-2011, 05:32 PM
just out of curiosity xlsx (and docx files etc for that matter) are just Zip containers for the xml files etc (rename any file to a zip extension and load in winrar or similar) and you can see all the files, just a matter how and what is therefore passworded with relation to getting the data
yes tried, that file will also ask for password :|

georged
08-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Or you can use a faster online recovery service like password-online.com.
They are super fast. Decryptum and others don't offer to decrypt docx or xlsx passwords only the old format.