PDA

View Full Version : Is this a valid act in BT ?

absent_today
07-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Suppose if i download a torrent from one tracker and another tracker has the same files so i download the torrent from that another site and add to my torrent client and its starts checking and founds that the files are already there.So essentially i'm uploading to a site from where i have not even downloaded.

P.S - Its not something i have done but asking before i do it since i heard many people do this way

sheriff 01
07-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Alot of sites have different rules. You must first diligently read the rules of whatever site your on.

A13
07-02-2011, 01:11 PM
And if that fails, ask. Doesn't hurt to ask.... most of the time.

ca_aok
07-02-2011, 02:57 PM
This works differently depending on your client as well. In many clients, if the torrent has the same hash, it'll prompt you to "add the tracker" to the torrent, which is a bad idea, as it will look like you're cheating on both trackers.

whatcdfan
07-02-2011, 03:23 PM
This works differently depending on your client as well. In many clients, if the torrent has the same hash, it'll prompt you to "add the tracker" to the torrent, which is a bad idea, as it will look like you're cheating on both trackers.

To cross seed successfully without "cheating" you should first remove the torrent from your client, then download the torrent from the tracker you wish to cross seed at, as soon as the torrent gets added in your client, it will check the files and if all the files are there, you will start as a seeder but you won't be able to upload at the tracker which you originally downloaded the content from. If you keep it seeding on one tracker at a time, there's no harm with that but some trackers (which I don't know of) might not allow cross seeding so you'd better of reading the FAQ's first.

bijoy
07-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Listen, BT is illegal, its piracy of data. So nothing is valid and everything is valid in BT. Some other person shares a fiel you downlaod it, and vice-versa. he whole thing is as simple as this.

Polarbear
07-02-2011, 03:47 PM
To cross seed successfully without "cheating" you should first remove the torrent from your client, then download the torrent from the tracker you wish to cross seed at, as soon as the torrent gets added in your client, it will check the files and if all the files are there, you will start as a seeder but you won't be able to upload at the tracker which you originally downloaded the content from. If you keep it seeding on one tracker at a time, there's no harm with that but some trackers (which I don't know of) might not allow cross seeding so you'd better of reading the FAQ's first.

What's with that Nazi signature you have? Are we a little jealous of Europeans or what?

absent_today
07-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Listen, BT is illegal, its piracy of data. So nothing is valid and everything is valid in BT. Some other person shares a fiel you downlaod it, and vice-versa. he whole thing is as simple as this.

Unfortunately only illegal things nowadays follow rules, Legal things are meant to broken.

But my point is how can this be allowed

LazyGuy
07-02-2011, 04:21 PM

Unfortunately only illegal things nowadays follow rules, Legal things are meant to broken.

But my point is how can this be allowed
as i said earlier
99.99% trackers do allow cross seeding
heck TL even endorses and encourages it
but different tackers may have different rules
SceneFZ is the only place in my mind that actually warns users against Cross Seeding
and it is not endorsed in BlackCats-Games(you are expected download the files from the tracker itself to seed)

anon
07-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Suppose if i download a torrent from one tracker and another tracker has the same files so i download the torrent from that another site and add to my torrent client and its starts checking and founds that the files are already there.So essentially i'm uploading to a site from where i have not even downloaded.

That's called "cross-seeding", and most sites allow it. If you search Google for "Seed The Same Files To Multiple Trackers in uTorrent" with the quotes, you'll find a nice guide explaining how it's done. However, there are some things you should keep in mind:

Do not add more than one tracker URL to the same torrent as a way to seed it on more than one place.
If uTorrent says the torrent is already in the list and asks you to "load the trackers from it", do not do that.

Many people have been banned for doing one of the things above, because as ca_aok said, to the tracker it looks like cheating. But nothing wrong will happen to you if you follow those tips.

SceneFZ is the only place in my mind that actually warns users against Cross Seeding

I was pretty surprised when I tried to cross-seed a release there and the tracker told me something like "seeding a torrent downloaded elsewhere is FORBIDDEN!".

Hypatia
07-02-2011, 06:18 PM
To cross seed successfully without "cheating" you should first remove the torrent from your client
eh? what happened to running upload of the same downloaded files to different trackers from two utorrent instances? Thus -no cheating.

anon
07-02-2011, 06:21 PM
eh? what happened to running upload of the same downloaded files to different trackers from two utorrent instances? Thus -no cheating.

True, but if the info_hash isn't the same you can save yourself the hassle of running two uTorrents.

InTheBasement
07-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Most likely the hash won't be the same because of the passkey.

anon
07-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Most likely the hash won't be the same because of the passkey.

That part of the .torrent file isn't taken into account when calculating the hash. You can check it out yourself - take one you already have running in your client, edit the announce URL with BEncode Editor, save it and try to load it. You'll still be told it's already there.

InTheBasement
07-03-2011, 01:05 AM
I think you're right. I haven't cross seeded in a very long time. When I did I was using kTorrent and never had any torrent merging issues until I tried uTorrent in a wine environment. That was the first time I saw what you said about, "load the trackers from it". So I just renamed the torrent file at the end with something relevant, like 'IPT' or 'SCC'

kukushka
07-03-2011, 07:39 AM
To cross seed successfully without "cheating" you should first remove the torrent from your client
at pedros you can seed only the stuff that you dl'ded from there

CQ1ST
07-05-2011, 06:46 PM
in the case of torrentleech, they tell you to do it and how it's done - it's a good way to 'save your ratio'. but it would lose all validity if you use it for some power-struggling habit I think, because a healthy ratio should be just natural (after the initial kid-in-a-candy-store-syndrome experience of joining some trackers that is)

anon
07-05-2011, 06:58 PM
it's a good way to 'save your ratio'. but it would lose all validity if you use it for some power-struggling habit I think, because a healthy ratio should be just natural

If too many people cross-seed, it becomes harder for those who don't to keep a good ratio - the cross-seeders can "steal files" from a tracker they have good stats on, then get all the extra upload on the other site for free.

If everyone cross-seeded, there'd be no point on running a tracker.

CQ1ST
07-05-2011, 07:43 PM
so true

mjmacky
07-05-2011, 09:01 PM
If everyone cross-seeded, there'd be no point on running a tracker.

Aren't a lot of these scene trackers just duplicates of each other anyway?

anon
07-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Aren't a lot of these scene trackers just duplicates of each other anyway?

You're forgetting about the packs and community! :P

mjmacky
07-05-2011, 09:29 PM
FST is the only community I need want atm :happy:

Speedo
07-06-2011, 10:52 AM
This is a good way to recover ratio if you have two tracker with the same release. :happy:

Silthos
07-07-2011, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=absent_today;3593108]

and it is not endorsed in BlackCats-Games(you are expected download the files from the tracker itself to seed)

Not true. You can seed anything you got else where at blackcats....what you cant do is add multiple announce URLs to the same torrent.

anon
07-07-2011, 05:41 PM
I think he might have confused it with partial seeding, which as far as I know is only allowed for packs on BCG.

CQ1ST
07-10-2011, 07:04 AM
FST is the only community I need want atm :happy:

I agree for the most part as I haven't seen much good conversations going on at some of the sites I'm currently a member of - all except thebox.bz of course, they have some interesting stuff going on most days