PDA

View Full Version : Are FTN seedboxes the best deal on the internet?

Hombre
07-02-2011, 04:30 PM
hello friends and girlsi am in shock, amazing offert!check:The specs are as follows: 2 six core xeon CPU's1.5TB drive10gbit unmetered uplink2GB RAM And it'll only cost you $49.99. (that's USD)It'll come preinstalled with your choice of software, whether it be Windows or Linux and whatever seedbox setup you want.Bedit: yes you'll still get an invite as well since it's still a donation.edit2: they're hosted in EuropeIncredible no????

IdolEyes787
07-02-2011, 04:48 PM
I thought "free iPad for answering this survey" was the best deal on the internet.
Also sort of related but what real use is a seedbox?
I mean I think for something to be "a good deal" it has to be useful, otherwise the hideous dog figurine I got at a yard sale for $5 and now have to keep in the closet would be considered a good deal.:unsure:
Maybe I should take offerts on it.

anon
07-02-2011, 05:47 PM
And that 10Gbit line is shared with how many people?

stan
07-02-2011, 05:54 PM
A bigger worry would be how many people are sharing that 2 GB of RAM

TONiC
07-02-2011, 07:29 PM

You know better than that. Circumventing BitTorrent throttling, gaining access to better dl/ul speeds + the ratio-whore buffer that comes with it. These are it's main purposes and benefits, but as freemarket theory goes, providers have differentiated and diversified their services incredibly so [look at Santrex] in order to compete succesfully; FeralHosting for example allow you to run a VPN connection via the SB, meaning complete anonymity, as well as webhosting meaning you have a website for whatever the f00k you want.

Choose between: FeralHosting, Santrex, WhatBox, EvoBoxes, PulsedMedia, Xirvik, BigSB, Boxslots, and tal0ne and you will have enough choice of the absolute best providers around. IMO, if it has seedbox in the title/name, avoid, but that's just me judging books by their covers

IdolEyes787
07-02-2011, 07:47 PM

You know better than that. Circumventing BitTorrent throttling, gaining access to better dl/ul speeds + the ratio-whore buffer that comes with it. These are it's main purposes and benefits, but as freemarket theory goes, providers have differentiated and diversified their services incredibly so [look at Santrex] in order to compete succesfully; FeralHosting for example allow you to run a VPN connection via the SB, meaning complete anonymity, as well as webhosting meaning you have a website for whatever the f00k you want.

Clearly I don't as none of those seem like actual uses to me especially the ratio-whore buffer thing.Actually hanging out here far too much I see that sort of buffering as the domain of traders . Traders and people that lack feelings of self-worth. Sort of like someone who would spend a large amount on iTunes downloads just so that they could belong to HDbits.:mellow:
Also since you are obviously a lot smarter than me please explain how having a faster download speed on a seedbox gets the files to my home computer any faster?:unsure:

TONiC
07-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Also since you are obviously a lot smarter than me please explain how having a faster download speed on a seedbox gets the files to my home computer any faster?

For the most part it doesn't. But if a seedbox means being able to download/upload without being throttled [yes, there are alternative sharing protocols], or for that one time building a 5tbyte buffer @ TL [or any other private tracker] to guarantee your access to the latest content @ top speeds in the future [and cost-free long term at that], then to many the expenditure of as little as 6 Euros is worth it.

It also make uploading torrents to BT sites alot easier and quicker, as well as more anonymous, if you do not want to be using your home connection, though this really only applies to "stolen" content from other BT sites or The Scene, so "home-made" content would still take just as long to upload to the seedbox, but would receive a far quicker end distribution speed.

IdolEyes787
07-02-2011, 08:22 PM
So like I said basically no good reason.

TONiC
07-02-2011, 08:26 PM

Yous just jealous 'cos you pay for newznets or usebins monthly ;)

IdolEyes787
07-02-2011, 08:33 PM
No I don't.:unsure: I'm jealous of your ability to ignore reality though.

KFlint
07-02-2011, 08:34 PM
??

The logo in your signature...can't believe they didn't see it...fuck sake!

TONiC
07-02-2011, 08:36 PM
No I don't.:unsure: I'm jealous of your ability to ignore reality though.

Find a drug dealer?

unoriginal
07-02-2011, 08:40 PM

I have two that I didn't see tonic mention:

1. bandwidth caps on your home connection: I dont know about EU but here in North America a lot of isp's have started to limit how much you can download/upload each month on a residential connection. My isp (AT&T) started imposing caps of 150GB/mo on their dsl users. I use a seedbox so that I can still maintain my ratios while not going over my cap and paying $10 per 50GB in overage fees.

2. With a seedbox I don't need to leave my home computer on 24/7 and thrash the heck out of my HD. Its worth it to me to pay a few dollars a month and abuse the server's HD instead of mine.

IdolEyes787
07-02-2011, 08:43 PM

I have two that I didn't see tonic mention:

1. bandwidth caps on your home connection: I dont know about EU but here in North America a lot of isp's have started to limit how much you can download/upload each month on a residential connection. My isp (AT&T) started imposing caps of 150GB/mo on their dsl users. I use a seedbox so that I can still maintain my ratios while not going over my cap and paying $10 per 50GB in overage fees.

2. With a seedbox I don't need to leave my home computer on 24/7 and thrash the heck out of my HD. Its worth it to me to pay a few dollars a month and abuse the server's HD instead of mine.

So you download a bunch of stuff that you never use.Wouldn't it just be cheaper and easier to not have a seedbox and not watch stuff through your home connection?

You could still look up things on IMDB and go "Hey I can pretend the HD that Green Lantern is sitting wasting space someplace is mine":)

unoriginal
07-02-2011, 08:47 PM
I only pay $15/mo. its not much. And I share the home connection and the seedbox with two flatmates. So its not just me getting usage out from the two services.

IdolEyes787
07-02-2011, 08:50 PM
I have a 60 GB cap and $1.50 per every GB over so your "suffering " is lost on me.

anon
07-02-2011, 08:52 PM
The logo in your signature...can't believe they didn't see it...fuck sake!

They're neither the first nor the last...

http://www.boredpanda.com/worst-logo-fails-ever/

TONiC
07-02-2011, 08:55 PM
I have a 60 GB cap and $1.50 per every GB over so your "suffering " is lost on me.

I'm guessing you live in Canada. Unfortunately, there isn't much you, or any one else can do. Your infrastructure is monopolised, and generally very poor due to lack of investment [it'd be huge. Imagine digging a trench along the width of Canada.]

sheriff 01
07-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Unless you are a dedicated uploader at the site your on, i really cant see much use for this type of setup. Everything Idoleyes has said is 100 percent
accurate regarding this setup.

TONiC
07-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Unless you are a dedicated uploader at the site your on, i really cant see much use for this type of setup. Everything Idoleyes has said is 100 percent

The problem is many forget BT is about sharing [something that is enforced by a ratio in BT], because they pay 2 leech, via one click hosters, newzbins, FTPs, or just leech off public trackers, but ultimately don't know the pleasure of maxing out your home connection and getting content for free at the same time. Have a good ratio and you stay: high speed and free content whenever. Have a bad ratio and it's good-bye - no more content. So how do you get a good ratio? Donate, rent a seedbox, use your home connection. Whilst donating is good as it supports the site directly, it doesn't offer much in increasing your ratio. Home connections means leaving your computer on perhaps overnight, whilst also putting you at risk from the now invading anti-p2p companies. A seedbox is the perfect solution, and fact is, the industry for it wouldn't be as big as it is now if it wasn't.

ExtraDry
07-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Think the whole point is to raise some funds to keep the site alive and not have to beg for donations each month, peeps get a server a pretty good price.Win win situation for site and users that like their seed boxes
For users that don't want the deal, you will win to as there be more seed boxes on torrents so you should get faster speeds.

P2PDog
07-02-2011, 09:39 PM

The problem is many forget BT is about sharing [something that is enforced by a ratio in BT], because they pay 2 leech, via one click hosters, newzbins, FTPs, or just leech off public trackers, but ultimately don't know the pleasure of maxing out your home connection and getting content for free at the same time. Have a good ratio and you stay: high speed and free content whenever. Have a bad ratio and it's good-bye - no more content. So how do you get a good ratio? Donate, rent a seedbox, use your home connection. Whilst donating is good as it supports the site directly, it doesn't offer much in increasing your ratio. Home connections means leaving your computer on perhaps overnight, whilst also putting you at risk from the now invading anti-p2p companies. A seedbox is the perfect solution, and fact is, the industry for it wouldn't be as big as it is now if it wasn't.

But, if you need a seedbox to maintain a decent ratio on most private sites, BT isn't really free anymore is it?

And, if you're going to pay-to-leech, all the other options (ddl, usenet) are much cheaper than all but the very bottom end seedbox plans.

sheriff 01
07-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Don't get me wrong i think its great that they are trying to come up with inventive ideas to keep the site going but what would be interesting and i would like this, is if they had some kind of lottery system where everybody donates like $10, then at the end of the month they take 50% of the proceeds and they have some sort of online bingo game and the winner gets the proceeds. The other 50% would be more than enough to cover costs.
P.S. i love playing bingo so i would like to see that-lol COUNT ME IN!!!

unoriginal
07-02-2011, 10:10 PM

I never claimed to be "suffering." But going from a basically unlimited account to a capped one was definitely a change. It sucks that you have such a low cap but what can I do about it? Not much as this is the only high speed option I have where I live.

IdolEyes787
07-02-2011, 10:48 PM

I thought "'sharing" as it's sometimes laughing referred to on bt sites was giving to the best that you are able and not pointlessly competing with others.

If I "share" something at my less than stellar rate but for a long period of time ( I think they call that retention) why should I be devalued as a member to someone with a little money for a seedbox or a better ISP that only seeds something just as long as they are getting the most "bang for their buck"?
Btw I would happily "max out my home connection" on new torrents if utorrent didn't prioritize most of the upload to the faster speed of seedboxes.
Anyway this isn't a knock against seedboxes per se but everyone knows that the majority of people that rent one do so merely out of self interest and at the expense of others not for their benefit.

It sucks that you have such a low cap but what can I do about it?

I don't believe that I asked you to do anything I just thought the point should be made that you are hardly that bad off.I mean seriously except for padding your upload it's not like you can't download everything you want for 150GB a month.
Yes full blu-ray blah blah blah but if you simply wished to watch something and have restricted bandwidth then in the olden days we had this saying "Make do with what you have" .

Olden days being pre-credit cards obviously.

Artemis
07-03-2011, 03:30 AM

I'm sort of amazed that nobody has picked up that it is FtN that is offering the seedboxes ...ie the original ratioless 0day site, the above argument is absolutely moot in the case of a ratioless site, there is no buffer with FtN or any of the other ratioless sites.
There are also other sites that credit seed time not seed amount, so once again a buffer at these sites is irrelevant.
The argument to stay under the radar of the p2p companies is to keep the tracker and therefore the swarms small, for the p2p companies it becomes a game of whack-a-mole, they get one two or three more crop up.