I await the SunDay with interest.

:drumroll:

Evening, Mr.Paul

JPaul
07-07-2011, 07:44 PM
And evening to you too Ms Else.

Something Else
07-07-2011, 07:49 PM
It wasn't really the News of The World anyway. It was the News of The whatever might interest an average channel 5 viewer.

JPaul
07-07-2011, 07:50 PM
What's an average channel 5

Something Else
07-07-2011, 07:51 PM
http://cdn.thegloss.com/files/2010/10/chanelno5.jpg

or something else.

JPaul
07-07-2011, 07:53 PM
That's just non scents.

JPaul
07-07-2011, 07:53 PM
That was rubbish but I thought I would give it a punt.

Something Else
07-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Kicking bins. :no:

JPaul
07-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Yeah, chrome ones.

j2k4
07-07-2011, 08:32 PM
I may have to attend.

Hey, JayPee.:)

Yo Kev.

Things going well with you, old bean.

I am not unwell...the clan propagates - working on grand-child #6, due Christmas day, nearest we can figure.

Business-wise, things are going swimmingly, which is today's business-ese for 'treading water'.

My feet are wet, but my ears are dry.

I trust your mighty clan is a positive and prosperous enterprise?

How's Missus and the kiddies?

I often wonder, often, often.:)

You realize, of course, only the sheerest luck finds us here in the same thread.

I should ring the McWhirters to see if they'd be interested for their little annual.

JPaul
07-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Good to hear that you and yours are doing well.

Me and mine are likewise.

I like to think of it as more Karma than luck. Or the final and absolute proof of the existence of God.

One or the other.

j2k4
07-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Good to hear that you and yours are doing well.

Me and mine are likewise.

I like to think of it as more Karma than luck. Or the final and absolute proof of the existence of God.

One or the other.

Sold, both ways, my friend.

JPaul
07-07-2011, 09:32 PM
:D ;) :whistling

j2k4
07-07-2011, 10:16 PM
:D ;) :whistling

Where do we go for the good old days?

CQ1ST
07-11-2011, 05:24 AM
while you and yours are obviously a great-bunch of normal happy people - the notw arseholes are spying just for their pockets/capitalistic-enterprise and I'm glad to see it shut down so swiftly and fully

bias entering journalism is one thing (I wish their famous 'oath' had been adhered to) but spying - 'they' should've drawn the line at that as most hopefully still do

JPaul
07-13-2011, 08:23 PM
It's really starting to kick off now.

News International being told to drop their bid to buy BSkyB outright, being reported to the monopolies chaps.

$6Bn wiped off Murdochs wealth due to share prices plummeting.

Discussions in Parliament today and Gordon Brown speaking about the background to it.

People being "invited" to parliamentary committees.

Calls for independent inquiries into New Scotland Yard involvement and lack of action / investigation.

This could easily keep growing and growing chaps.

j2k4
07-13-2011, 09:47 PM
I would be glad to tune in here for your analysis, sir.

You're a better read.

JPaul
07-13-2011, 10:08 PM

You're a better read.

It will be World News, mate.

Do you see what I did there.

LubTheStaringCat
07-13-2011, 10:14 PM
The News Of The World & The Sun are toilets full stop :sick:
With the News Of The World gone, let hope The Sun follows suit.:blow:

j2k4
07-14-2011, 01:38 AM

You're a better read.

It will be World News, mate.

Do you see what I did there.

Best that you did.

I put it right in your wheelhouse, ffs.

JPaul
07-14-2011, 07:12 PM
The FBI are now investigating News International for hacking into the phones of 9/11 victims.

Biggles
07-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Not one to indulge in schadenfreude (much) I confess to finding it hard to feel any sympathy with Beelzebub Corp.

j2k4
07-14-2011, 07:26 PM
The FBI are now investigating News International for hacking into the phones of 9/11 victims.

Has the hacking been proven, or?

Biggles
07-14-2011, 07:43 PM

Not that I am aware of. However, as a former Glasgow Herald editor said on the TV the other night "it is ironic that the organs of the media so adept in creating moral panics and witch hunts are now the focus of a moral panic and witch hunt".

j2k4
07-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Not that I am aware of. However, as a former Glasgow Herald editor said on the TV the other night "it is ironic that the organs of the media so adept in creating moral panics and witch hunts are now the focus of a moral panic and witch hunt".

What goes 'round comes 'round - usually in it's original incarnation.

JPaul
07-14-2011, 08:55 PM
An American politician, can't remember who, has asked the FBI to investigate it. I think he suggested he had intelligence to suggest it did happen but wouldn't elaborate.

j2k4
07-14-2011, 09:22 PM
An American politician, can't remember who, has asked the FBI to investigate it. I think he suggested he had intelligence to suggest it did happen but wouldn't elaborate.

Ah, yes - Peter King (R)NY, a conservative.

Who's he trying to impress, eh?

JPaul
07-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Hopefully he is trying to get at the truth, mate.

These people really need taken to task and punished if they are found to have done, or sanctioned, these things.

j2k4
07-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Hopefully he is trying to get at the truth, mate.

These people really need taken to task and punished if they are found to have done, or sanctioned, these things.

Simple sarcasm, buddy.

I'm sorry, but all I have atm is another baseball device, too stale to deploy, hang on a sec...oh, fuck it, I'm damned rusty, I'll tell you.

Um, watch the attention he gets from anyone but Fox, eh?

That ought to be instructive; they're not as familiar with him as they might be.

I'll watch for him on Auntie tomorrow, if I remember.

JPaul
07-14-2011, 10:07 PM
I am given to understand that Fox did not even mention any of this.

However they just showed a bit of "off air" material on the BBC, where the newsreaders were saying to each other "So who is going to mention it first then".

The general consensus was "Not me".

j2k4
07-14-2011, 10:23 PM

However they just showed a bit of "off air" material on the BBC, where the newsreaders were saying to each other "So who is going to mention it first then".

Well, I normally have some sort of news on all day at work, but I have been multi-tasking like a truly superior specimen the last few days, and I can't say I've got anything substantial, yet; if I watch BBC America, it's pretty early in the am.

j2k4
07-15-2011, 01:24 AM

I can't comment about Fox 'cuz I didn't watch, but if that's true, it's awfully suggestive, wouldn't you say.

Awfully, awfully suggestive. :whistling

JPaul
07-15-2011, 05:58 PM
It was certainly reported that way on the BBC, though it could have changed by now obviously.

j2k4
07-15-2011, 08:06 PM
It was certainly reported that way on the BBC, though it could have changed by now obviously.

This had at least 24 hours on me, Jim.

I watched a bit of FoxNews this AM, and saw scatterings, twice.

There was an ownership disclaimer each time (not awfully curious - agreed?); the only news was the resignation of Rebekah Brooks.

Early days.

I'm guessing there is a shit-ton of legal money flying about just now.

What I wouldn't give to have an ear to certain walls.

At any rate, this morning I was distracted by a truck's collision with a light standard (480V single-phase) at the main entrance to one of my contracts, in a driving rain - really lucky to have caught any tube at all.

devilsadvocate
07-16-2011, 01:00 AM

Fox is saying we need to move on from the story. Nothing to see here.

As far as I can tell they are equating the pentagon and banks being victims of hacking with the News of the world perpetrating hacking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9gOSsvLIO4

The other networks seem to have had an orgasm in their pants over this, I suppose Fox would too if it was a rival conglomerate.

clocker
07-16-2011, 01:17 AM
Fox is saying we need to move on from the story. Nothing to see here.

I'm guessing the first Fox personality to confront the story will be Sarah Palin.
She's been honing her martyr's act and played at being being victimized by the liberal media under Murdoch's aegis...now's the time he wheels her out as the opening sally in his defense campaign.

Of course, she could just as easily throw Fox under the bus and go for her big shining moment as the TP's Joan of Arc.
Betrayal and double dealing are hardly beneath her.

JPaul
07-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Rupert and James Murdoch have agreed to appear before Parliament to answer questions on the subject, as has Rebekah Brooks.

That should be an interesting confrontation. I believe it will be televised here and if not I would expect the "highlights" to be available.

There must be some really interesting deals going on in the background here. As I said one of the central figures (Andy Coulson) also worked very closely with the PM. It seems he wasn't the only one and unsurprisingly Mr Cameron knew all of them socially, at least to some extent.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coulson-invite-normal-says-hague-2314787.html

Coulson invite 'normal', says Hague

Inviting Andy Coulson to Chequers after his resignation as Downing Street director of communications was a "normal, human thing" for David Cameron to do, Foreign Secretary William Hague said today.

Mr Hague said he was not embarrassed "in any way" by the Government's relationship with News International executives and defended the Prime Minister's decision to entertain Mr Coulson, the former News of the World editor, at his Buckinghamshire retreat in March.

Labour claimed last night that his invite to Chequers was evidence of Mr Cameron's "extraordinary lack of judgment".

But Mr Hague told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "In inviting Andy Coulson back the Prime Minister has invited someone back to thank him for his work, he's worked for him for several years, that is a normal, human thing to do, I think it shows a positive side to his character."

Downing Street has also disclosed that Rebekah Brooks, who resigned yesterday as chief executive of News International, received hospitality at Chequers twice last year, once in June and again in August.

According to a list of prime ministerial engagements, News International chairman James Murdoch also attended Chequers in November.

Ms Brooks and Mr Murdoch met the Prime Minister socially in December. Separately, Ms Brooks met Mr Cameron again the same month.

There were further meetings between Mr Cameron and the editors of News International newspapers The Sun, The Times, News of the World and The Sunday Times.

Asked whether he was embarrassed by the amount of contact between the Government and News International executives, Mr Hague - a former News of the World columnist - said: "Personally I'm not embarrassed by it in any way, but there is something wrong here in this country and it must be put right.

"It's been acknowledged by the Prime Minister and I think that's the right attitude to take."

He added: "It's not surprising that in a democratic country there is some contact between leaders of the country, and indeed opposition leaders, and indeed I believe on that list of meetings there are also meetings with the executives of the Guardian and Trinity Mirror and whatever other news organisations."

Mr Cameron revealed last week that he had met Mr Coulson since his resignation, but "not recently and not frequently".

"When you work with someone for four years as I did, and you work closely, you do build a friendship and I became friends with him," the Prime Minister told a press conference last Friday.

"He became a friend and is a friend."

Amid calls from Labour leader Ed Miliband to apologise for his Downing Street appointment, Mr Cameron insisted he had had no reason to doubt Mr Coulson's assurances that he had no knowledge of hacking under his editorship.

At Prime Minister's Questions in the Commons on Wednesday, Mr Cameron said: "If it turns out he lied, it won't just be that he shouldn't have been in Government, it will be that he should be prosecuted."

Of Mr Coulson's visit to Chequers, shadow culture secretary Ivan Lewis said: "This is yet more evidence of an extraordinary lack of judgment by David Cameron.

"He hosted Andy Coulson at Chequers after, in the Prime Minister's own words, Mr Coulson's second chance hadn't worked out.

"David Cameron may think that this is a good day to bury bad news but he now has an increasing number of serious questions to answer."

NotLettingItGo
07-16-2011, 11:19 AM
That's all just lying cheating politicians playing the stupid immature party politics point scoring game they piss away valuable time playing against each other. Ed Milliband and his parties senior members are as close to News International execs as any Tory is. If you watched Question Time last week, you'd have seen Hugh Grant catch a shadow cabinet member out on that exact point, by pointing out that three weeks ago Ed and his cabinet members all attended a Rupert Murdoch party.

All politicians are bent, Labour just as much as the Toffs. The only ones who've got away with this is the Lib Dems, and that's not because they're not as corrupt as the Tories or Labour MPs, it's because Murdoch never paid any attention to members of a party he never thought would obtain any power.

JPaul
07-16-2011, 11:44 AM
The Lib Dems are dead as a party anyway.

They have allowed a Conservative government to do whatever they wanted to the country. They did this whilst going back on pledges they made during the election campaign and in their manifesto. They have supported policies which they pledged to oppose, they were elected on their pledges and have now binned them to suck at the teat of political power. It was hysterical when leading Tories campaigned against the AV system they put forward and Labour who supported it refused to share a platform with Clegg so he had to send Cable.

Nick Clegg's legacy is as the man who made the Liberal Democrats a political non-entity. So much so that Scotland now has a majority party in Holyrood, in a system which was designed to make sure that was as near impossible as made no difference.

Anyway, the oppositions relationship with these people will rove to be irrelevant in my view. I have no doubt the Government and it's spin doctors will continue with the tu quoque argument that "they are as bad as us". So, as they say, what. The relationship between the Prime minister and in particular Mr Coulson will cause at the very last serious embarrassment and possibly worse. I listened to Gordon Brown speak in Parliament the other day and it was clear that even prior to News International giving their support overtly to the Conservatives he was far from being their best chum.

Biggles
07-16-2011, 04:01 PM
The Lib Dems are dead as a party anyway.

Nick Clegg's legacy is as the man who made the Liberal Democrats a political non-entity. So much so that Scotland now has a majority party in Holyrood, in a system which was designed to make sure that was as near impossible as made no difference.

Quite an achievement really - although to be fair Labour ran such an inept campaign it was almost like they didn't want to win.

j2k4
07-16-2011, 05:54 PM
The issue has proliferated, I see.

Very well.

What is the story, now - a scandal at News of the World (owned by Rupert Murdoch, who also owns Foxnews) has caused incredible and incredulous upset in the U.K., and seemingly has tentacles that reach into the U.S.

Foxnews has reported the same facts other American nets have, though, according to some here, the difference in salivatory output indicates...something.

Fox, while forthrightly acknowledging the connections/conflicts it labors under, also notes that, insofar as what's happened stateside, hacking is becoming endemic.

The other networks are, in sum, "salivating"; one assumes this condition encompasses the requisite speculations about the relative level of 'rot' and bias extant at Foxnews.

One might wonder whence comes the description "salivating" given the commonly excepted trope that only Foxnews actually has a bias, but I digress.

Couple of questions:

Where, then, is the nexus of the actual issue?

NOTW?

Rupert Murdoch?

Foxnews?

Anybody up for a discussion of the White House's official 'policies' vis a vis Foxnews?

Ah - didn't think so.

JP - modulate your thread, please.

NotLettingItGo
07-16-2011, 06:40 PM
The nexus of the issue is the criminal scum who decided they could break the laws of the land to (hopefully) find some salacious information about celebrities. They then decided they could do the same to victims of crime and their families.

The political left (who've always hated the biased media outlets of Mr Murdoch) have smelt blood in the water and commenced on a fully fledged witch hunt, all inclusive of every feature of witch hunts that history records... they're working towards the burning at the stake as we speak... well they're hopeful anyway.

Very few are really stupid enough to believe Rupert Murdoch ordered or instructed anyone to commit the crimes.

Better yet, everyone knows James Murdoch wasn't anywhere near the News of the World when the crimes were committed... but that won't stop the witch hunters baying for his blood... because he is the son of their avowed enemy in chief... Satans son himself, Rupert...

Simple facts have the rest of us not giving a toss about it. Even if Murdoch and his little UK empire fall, some other biased individual will come along and pick up the guantlet. There's an appetite for the kind of reporting that the empire reports, as proven by their sales figures. Because of the popularity of such reporting, our professional political class will cosy up to whomever the replacement is, and the corruption will continue unabated. Still it distracts them all from doing any more damage to some other poor sod for a while... so it's not a total waste of time.

JPaul
07-16-2011, 06:45 PM
My only specific comment on events in the US is that the FBI have been asked to investigate whether or not News International hacked the phones of victims of the 9/11 atrocity. Where it has gone from there I have no idea whatsoever. However I do know that they are accused of doing a similar thing in the UK with regard the attacks in London.

How Fox News, or anyone else reported events there is a mystery to me. However I can say that, at the time I posted it the BBC were reporting that Fox News were singularly not reporting it, indeed off air the newsreaders were commenting on the very fact that they were staying silent. Hardly surprising though, given those involved.

It appeared strange that the BBC were reporting those events, including film of the politician in question being asked about the investigation he had requested, whereas a US News channel were not doing the same.

That is all.

j2k4
07-16-2011, 11:51 PM
It appeared strange that the BBC were reporting those events, including film of the politician in question being asked about the investigation he had requested, whereas a US News channel were not doing the same.

How much stranger, then, that Peter King (the politician) appeared on Foxnews to chat about it?

Don't know that other US main-stream outlets couldn't seem to find him...in NYC.

devilsadvocate
07-17-2011, 02:52 AM
King was the first republican to request investigations, there was a number of democrats asking for them before. It may be that King made more news because of a committee he sits on or heads

There is a thing with politicians on both sides where they refuse to appear on certain channels, It could be that the democrats wouldn't appear on fox , at least for an interview, and that King would only give interviews on fox, home ground. So, to be fair, fox may not have had anyone to interview until King stepped up.

Of course it's also possible that fox avoided interviewing the democrats.

JPaul
07-17-2011, 07:59 AM

How much stranger, then, that Peter King (the politician) appeared on Foxnews to chat about it?

Don't know that other US main-stream outlets couldn't seem to find him...in NYC.

Nothing strange about it that I can see, one would have thought he would have been keen to do just that. Though I am not even remotely aware of how your press work and to what extent they are agenda driven.

My only comment, and it remains the same, was that at that time the BBC were reporting that Fox weren't. That remains true, whether he has subsequently appeared or not. Clearly a lot has happened since then, for example at that time Mr Murdoch and his son had declined the invitation to appear before Parliament. They have subsequently reversed that position and now said that they will appear and answer question. Mr Murdoch has also released a statement, I believe in the Wall Street Journal, but I could have picked that up wrong.

Like I said at the time, this could grow and grow. That still remains the case.

Artemis
07-17-2011, 08:14 PM

And grow it does, with the resignation of Paul Stephenson, London's Police Commissioner and the arrest of Rebekah Brooks, the hounds are definitely baying for blood, and it seems many more heads will roll. It strikes me that the heads so far have been political heads though rather than the actual transgressors, in most cases it is managers who 'should have been aware' rather than the actual perpertrators.

JPaul
07-18-2011, 04:14 PM

And grow it does, with the resignation of Paul Stephenson, London's Police Commissioner and the arrest of Rebekah Brooks, the hounds are definitely baying for blood, and it seems many more heads will roll. It strikes me that the heads so far have been political heads though rather than the actual transgressors, in most cases it is managers who 'should have been aware' rather than the actual perpertrators.

If I'm honest it's the senior managers and responsible persons I would like to see get popped.

Don't get me wrong, anyone who was involved directly should get it.

However let's also get the people who either accepted or encouraged the whole culture.

Something Else
07-18-2011, 08:30 PM
How do you guys find out all this stuff. My local shop has been out of my regular Sunday paper recently, so i'm clueless.

I heard the Sun are launching The Sun on Sunday. Sun-Day would have been better, Shirley.

Alternatives:

News of the Pun.
Puns of the World.
The Punday Express.
The Puntastic Times.
Punter Gatherers

That is all.

Something Else
07-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Panorama.S59E30.Murdoch.Breaking.The.Spell

JPaul
07-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Panorama.S59E30.Murdoch.Breaking.The.Spell

That's just a load of nonsence.

Mr JP Fugley
07-19-2011, 12:54 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/sun-website-hacked-lulzsec

I LOLLED

Biggles
07-19-2011, 09:40 PM
I see Murdoch encountered the Phantom Phlan Phlinger

This is good.

Artemis
07-20-2011, 02:02 AM
So Rupert Murdoch isn't Ironman then ?

JPaul
07-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Or is he.

Well no actually, he isn't.

Or is he.

clocker
07-22-2011, 12:01 AM
So far it would appear that the Murdochs have taken a page from the defense of Wall St. bankers..."We were stupid and oblivious".

Yeah, I didn't buy it when Jamie Dimon used it either.

JPaul
07-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Murdoch Snr played beffudled dolt when giving evidence to Parliament.

Murdoch Jnr kept it simpler and lied.

People are coming forward and pointing out that he lied.

Woopsies.

JPaul
07-22-2011, 05:32 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/mp-contacts-met-over-murdoch-claims-2318751.html

j2k4
07-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Yes, yes, but what about Foxnews?

Afternoon/evening, JP.:)

JPaul
07-22-2011, 09:59 PM
And a jolly ce soir to you too Sir.