PDA

View Full Version : whats a good seedbox for a noob

Tsu
07-11-2011, 04:22 PM
whats a good seedbox for noob who doesnt know much about ftp's and linux, just basic windows click and drag interface.

what price any recommendations?

Tv Controls you
07-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I would strongly recommend not buying a seedbox. (also your post isn't in the right section)

But some suggestions to answer your question:
1) Buy a windows server box
2) Buy a seedbox with utorrent already installed. (doesn't matter what os then)
3) Buy a seedbox with another torrent client with a web gui

It's been a while since I've used the utorrent web gui, But I have heard that it has undergone some major improvements.
Also Ftp just stands for File Transfer Protocol (you should try running filezilla server and client to get some experience with it)

Tsu
07-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Oh sorry why wouldn't you recommend it?

Thelen
07-12-2011, 02:53 AM
there are lots of providers that are easy to use. if you want a windows drag and drop interface though you'll have to pay a lot more as windows isn't free. but, the normal rutorrent/deluge type interfaces might be good enough.

anyway, check out pulsedmedia.com or bytesized-hosting.com both have personal support and very simply interfaces.

PooBar
07-12-2011, 04:35 AM
Get one of these http://pulsedmedia.com/clients/cart.php

just for you Thelen :-)

kadrykov
07-12-2011, 09:21 AM
whats a good seedbox for noob who doesnt know much about ftp's and linux, just basic windows click and drag interface.

None.

justmike
07-13-2011, 01:18 AM
cool

unoriginal
07-13-2011, 03:41 AM
If a noob is looking for a seedbox I dont think a managed server that can be split up and resold would be a valid suggestion.

Cut-Copy-Paste
07-13-2011, 06:08 AM
If a noob is looking for a seedbox I dont think a managed server that can be split up and resold would be a valid suggestion.

He has been spamming same post on every Article on FileNetwork. Posting according to thread is less Important then getting referrals u knw...

Tv Controls you
07-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Oh sorry why wouldn't you recommend it?
I mean what is your real reason for wanting a seedbox?

I know personally I run my an old computer in my basement with an ftp server, windows shared file, utorrent, and even host a web page off it.
I have remote desktop to it via logmein.com and I've never once had a problem. Basically it's a home server.

I'm able to maintain good ratios on all of my sites with my current setup; therefor in my current situation I see little use for a seedbox. (as I basically run one...)
My setup (now that I look back on it) is a bit overkill due to my torrent addiction, but I'm sure utorrent running on my main computer could maintain my ratios.

Jackbauer
07-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Seriously, checkout usenet (astraweb is a good one). The sad thing is that a seedbox almost alwas cost more than astrawebs yearlyy deal (8$ a month) yet usenet requires no uploading back.... and is always max speed.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

smcewa11
07-15-2011, 08:33 PM

Xirvik and seedhost.eu are both good. Using one of their boxes is piss easy as they are pre set up.

I know nothing about linux but all you really need to know is how to set up stuff on your windows PC, which you already do, and if you log into your server it is either to restart torrent client or to delete stuff the client has failed to. Both are similar to how you do it in windows: browse to stuff you want to delete, click icon to restart. Anything else mail support.

Takes you minutes to set up vnc and a ftp client on your PC; download, install, input the info you get in the join mail. Seconds to get the hang of the browser ui's.

A few providers have short period trials or weekly rentals give one of them a try and see if you like it. Try a shared and a dedi box, then go with whatever suits you best.