PDA

View Full Version : Setup fees were removed from ovh/kimsufi servers

OlegL
07-19-2011, 06:23 PM
People, rejoice! Because it looks like the year 2011 brought us yet another bright chapter in the history of seedboxes. Setup fees were removed from ovh/kimsufi servers and people that post on the ovh forums say they were permanently removed. So once again we are all able to order the cheapest kimsufi box to get a fast and easy access to a 100 mbit network. And now the cheapest box has a 1 TB hard drive. You gotta love ovh.

Daniel_30
07-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Who needs that before re-enable his acc on hdb :mellow:

OlegL
07-19-2011, 06:48 PM
lol

IdolEyes787
07-19-2011, 09:04 PM
People, rejoice! Because it looks like the year 2011 brought us yet another bright chapter in the history of seedboxes. Setup fees were removed from ovh/kimsufi servers and people that post on the ovh forums say they were permanently removed. So once again we are all able to order the cheapest kimsufi box to get a fast and easy access to a 100 mbit network. And now the cheapest box has a 1 TB hard drive. You gotta love ovh.

You are still limited by the speed of your home connection to how fast you can actually, you know, "get " stuff so I think I shall leave the crowing to the crows.
I was going to put idiots but I didn't see any point of disparaging the crows.

Yes I know you do it "for the security" and I'm the one whose the idiot blah blah blah.

OlegL
07-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Well, those are not just seedboxes; they are dedicated servers. You can install any OS that you want on your ovh server, and in case your home comp is turned off for some reason, you can still access the server from a college campus or from your workplace.

Tv Controls you
07-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Well, those are not just seedboxes; they are dedicated servers. You can install any OS that you want on your ovh server, and in case your home comp is turned off for some reason, you can still access the server from a college campus or from your workplace.

lol your talking about this right:

This is nothing more than a seedbox... I'd dare you to run anything major on it. (gaming server with alot of users, vmware... etc)

anon
07-19-2011, 10:39 PM
There are many useful services that don't require a NASA computer. If I had a dedicated server, I'd probably use it as a file depot and install a proxy and/or OpenVPN server for when something requires concealing my IP or traffic encryption. Those tasks would be fine for a "modest" machine such as the one depicted above.

OlegL
07-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Well, I never ran anything major on it (it was kimsufi 250g - the same cpu, but a smaller hard drive). But I saved some C++ programs on the server (didn't wanna use my home comp for the same purpose) and showed them to my professor. And, of course, I used it as a seedbox. And it's also a quick way to install different OSes using the ovh manager, meaning you can install the OS on it that you never used before to find out if you like it.

legal
07-21-2011, 12:36 PM
+1 for anon.

Proxies, shells, backup server, cdn server, many-many things to use for, even with those specs (and its really cheap).

Cut-Copy-Paste
07-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Edit :

Meh My bad