PDA

View Full Version : Super (2010)

Frankthetank1
07-26-2011, 03:20 AM
Anyone watch this movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1512235/

I literally could not stop laughing from start to Finnish. Ellen Page was a riot. She kind of reminded me of the joker from Batman, the original. She just has one of those laughs.

IdolEyes787
07-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Subverting of the superhero mythos without a least some attempt (a la Watchmen) to encompass larger issues sort of negates the whole point .Also odd as it may be I find it impossible to laugh at brutal violence. There must be something genuinely wrong with me.

Anyway it's like KickAss if KickAss was a dangerous psychopath , the violence taken to even more brutal extremes and minus even the hint of a positive outcome.So basically Defendor.

I think I should post that as a review on IMDB "basically Defendor minus the charm".

propanol
07-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Don`t will huge difference between this movie and KickAss

Frankthetank1
07-26-2011, 05:00 PM
So you are saying you didnt like it? Batman had a dangerous psychopath and everyone loved that.. Imdb reviews are terrible so it would really help. but since it got a 7.2 on IMDB and a terrible rating on rotten tomatoes it doesn't help my justification at all :(. I guess i have a warped sense of humor.

Subverting of the superhero mythos without a least some attempt (a la Watchmen) to encompass larger issues sort of negates the whole point .Also odd as it may be I find it impossible to laugh at brutal violence. There must be something genuinely wrong with me.

Anyway it's like KickAss if KickAss was a dangerous psychopath , the violence taken to even more brutal extremes and minus even the hint of a positive outcome.So basically Defendor.

I think I should post that as a review on IMDB "basically Defendor minus the charm".

what are you trying to say?

Don`t will huge difference between this movie and KickAss

IdolEyes787
07-26-2011, 05:35 PM
So you are saying you didnt like it? Batman had a dangerous psychopath and everyone loved that.. Imdb reviews are terrible so it would really help. but since it got a 7.2 on IMDB and a terrible rating on rotten tomatoes it doesn't help my justification at all :(. I guess i have a warped sense of humor.

I was just telling you what I thought of the movie.Your opinion is as valid as mine or anyone else's.:) Who's to say that your're not right and Super is for most people a true laugh riot.

About Batman though I would say that the essential difference between him and Red Bolt is that Batman is not living entirely in a fantasy of his own creating .He may set his own rules but the villains he fights are ( in his universe) real and the causes he undertakes just.

Actually I would be interested in what you thought of Defendor which in some ways is a lot closer to Super than KickAss is.

mjmacky
07-26-2011, 06:31 PM
I kind of liked this movie. It had that Kickass "why hasn't anybody tried to be a superhero" theme, but not its rational reserve. I think it answers the question posed by Kickass with, "well you have to be really fucking delusional and psychopathic".

Otherwise, I thought the point of it was that religion is idiotic and Dolan should stop buying Cadillacs.

Frankthetank1
07-27-2011, 12:08 AM
It has been a while since I watched Defendor but if I remember correctly, it was decent up until the end which was done poorly and made no sense. I love Woody but it was the plot that was bad. Again it’s been awhile since I watched it. What did you think of green hornet? Which is also very similar to these movies.

I was just telling you what I thought of the movie.Your opinion is as valid as mine or anyone else's.:) Who's to say that your're not right and Super is for most people a true laugh riot.

About Batman though I would say that the essential difference between him and Red Bolt is that Batman is not living entirely in a fantasy of his own creating .He may set his own rules but the villains he fights are ( in his universe) real and the causes he undertakes just.

Actually I would be interested in what you thought of Defendor which in some ways is a lot closer to Super than KickAss is.

IdolEyes787
07-27-2011, 11:50 AM
It has been a while since I watched Defendor but if I remember correctly, it was decent up until the end which was done poorly and made no sense. I love Woody but it was the plot that was bad. Again it’s been awhile since I watched it. What did you think of green hornet?

I haven't seen it and I probably never will as ,and I'm not making this up , I find Cameron Diaz to hideous to watch.Paint her face white and she's basically the Joker.That is if the Joker lacked any discernible entertainment value.
Actually I will probably never watch a Cameron Diaz movie again unless one sets a record for Oscar wins or it also contains a babe of such epic ,Godly beauty that the good and bad sort of work to cancel each other out.

Also of note this picture was take at The Green Hornet premiere when unassumingly she has had her hair done and the services of a professional makeup artist.If my mind was actually capable of withstanding the trauma I could only imagine what she normally looks like.

Frankthetank1
07-27-2011, 06:06 PM
i agree she got old real fast, but she plays a small part in the movie. You never gave your thoughts on Defendor though.

IdolEyes787
07-27-2011, 07:42 PM
i agree she got old real fast, but she plays a small part in the movie. You never gave your thoughts on Defendor though.

Sort of in line with what you said.I wouldn't go so far as to say that the ending made no sense but Defendor was one of those movies that never made up it's mind what it wanted to be - a comedy, a drama , a message movie, an ultimately depressing look at how society chews up and spits out ( save the ending) anyone the least bit different.

Personally I think given the inherent likeability and decency of the Harrelson's character they should have kept it lighter. It's not that I minded him dying but it sort of came off a shooting a puppy to me.
Probably it was intended to be that way but not something shooting a puppy I'd choose to voluntarily witness.

So I guess what I'm saying is that although I didn't hate the picture if I was in charge it would have had a far different tone to it.

Anyway all this loonie as hero stuff got me remembering They Might Be Giants (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067848/)haven't seen it in like forever but I (think) I remember liking it a lot.

megabyteme
07-28-2011, 04:50 PM
I watched Super in two sections over the past two nights. Having only watched the first hour when I read Idol's comments, I thought he was being a bit excessive in his judgement. However, having seen the last 30 minutes after reading his comments, I have to agree that the movie wasn't any good.

Differing from Idol's view that the shock-value of violence can produce laughs- if done appropriately, I did enjoy some of the earlier brutal scenes involving "evil-doers" getting hit with a pipe wrench.

Unfortunately, the movie decided to take a sobering, depressing approach towards the end- thus making me feel crappy for ever having laughed. The mixed comedy/violence to evil/violence to likeable characters approach fell flat.

I seldom fully regret having watched a movie, but 12 hours later, I do still regret this one.

Violence/comedy can work- just look at any of the old "Trauma aka Toxic Avenger" movies. However, they need to be kept light-hearted. People looking for some twisted laughs are most likely NOT looking for depressing movies.

Overall, I give this movie a 0/10. There was nothing worthwhile in its viewing.

mjmacky
07-28-2011, 06:54 PM
There was nothing worthwhile in its viewing.

Liar, this was worthwhile:

megabyteme
07-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Alright. Now I feel better. Any chance we could get the chick in the same bondage outfit? :unsure:

My greatest issue was that "Boltie" was very likable, and it was supposed to be a comedy.

Killing off a teen girl with a GRAPHIC view of her headshot is NOT comedy. :sick:

IdolEyes787
07-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Ironically it would have improved Juno.

megabyteme
07-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Ironically it would have improved Juno.

Republican. :dry:

IdolEyes787
07-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Am not.

I actually had this really nice handgun and instead of selling it or something sensible I sawed it into tiny,little pieces so that in the future no one might use it to kill Ellen Page.

True story .

More or less.

megabyteme
07-28-2011, 08:41 PM
So, you are saying, you had a shotgun, and you sawed off the end of the barrel so it would do maximum carnage on your pregnant teenage victims at close range.

I rest my case.

Republican. :dry:

popin
07-28-2011, 09:26 PM
I will not waste my time to see that....

IdolEyes787
07-28-2011, 09:35 PM
So, you are saying, you had a shotgun, and you sawed off the end of the barrel so it would do maximum carnage on your pregnant teenage victims at close range.

Sawed off are for pansies,real psychos men use slugs and give their quarry enemies people who unlawfully invade their homes (Gawd bless America ) a head start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxEPUnZHr5M