PDA

View Full Version : How to preview my usenet videos?

rabble1
07-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Hi,

Is it possible to watch/stream an active video (mkv) download? I know I can preview files by opening the .rar with vlc, but is it possible to watch the entire video as it downloads, assuming my downstream speed is capable? I'm on astraweb with alt binz, thank you

nntpjunkie
07-27-2011, 02:44 PM
The best player I know of is NZBPlayer - http://www.nzbplayer.com/ NZBPlayer downloads a couple parts and a minute or two later you are streaming. The app is great because you can just sit back and go go. I use Newshosting and all streams fine, their gear is top notch so speed is lightening fast and I haven't any glitchy movies so no missing parts, they have been growing steadily day by day helping the Usenet grow :)

Hypatia
07-27-2011, 03:20 PM
their gear is top notchso top notch it produces extreme ammounts of incompletes

so no missing parts
you should try yourself as a storyteller you know. i sense a real hidden talent.

helping the Usenet grow
helping to screw usenet up with dmca and completion issues.

personally i fear for the sanity of the one who decides to stream movies from highwinds. what a frightening picture. and complete loss of reality(see above)

Hecks
07-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Hi,
? I'm on astraweb with alt binz, thank you

Alt.Binz supports this out of the box (in free 0.25.0 too), right-click on item in queue and select Play, configure via Setup > NZB Play. Works best with KMPlayer IMHO.

zot
07-28-2011, 05:36 AM
... I use Newshosting ... their gear is top notch

so top notch it produces extreme ammounts of incompletes

It's amazing how every discussion can become an opportunity to shill for Newshosting/Highwinds - even when it's completely off-topic.

It's kind of funny watching both of you two battle it out on NZBmatrix (& maybe other sites as well) and then continue the same argument here on Filesharingtalk.

I'm sure I've wasted plenty of time myself, arguing against fanboys and shills who simply refuse to accept proven facts, though by now I'd like to think that I've left my more combative days in the past. :)

... OK, back on topic ...

To stream a movie, it's important that all the files need to be placed in the correct sequence in the download queue. You often need to do this manually, such as moving the "rar" file from the bottom to the top above the "r00" file. Some 2-CD sets also need the rar files to be manually separated and rearranged into the correct order.

Also, to get a decent viewing experience, then the streamed movie/TV show needs to be 100% complete on the server (or combination of servers if using Alt.Binz) and this can easily be checked with any NZB completion checker. The completion issue is probably the biggest drawback of NNTP streaming, since Par2 files can only be employed after the entire set of rars is downloaded. But if all you ever want is a rough preview, then the completion issue might not matter.