PDA

View Full Version : Blogs on user profiles

1000possibleclaws
07-31-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm wondering if anyone besides me would enjoy such a mod? I'm thinking something similar to news article format with comments enabled/disabled, that would show up somewhere on users' profiles. For people who want to rant about stuff too obscure or random or personal that it wouldn't fit anywhere else. Or post movie reviews or whatever they can think of. Gamespot does this and it's a nice way to bring more personality into the forums I find.

It might just end up being more clutter so I'm not saying I back this 100% either...

tesco
07-31-2011, 05:27 PM
We didn't think it wiould be used which is why it isn't enabled, but we do have blogs...
It would be like this:
https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blog.php
https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blog.php/257345-IBxAnders
https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entry.php/2431-4.0.8-feature-Customizable-user-profiles

anon
07-31-2011, 05:32 PM
For people who want to rant about stuff too obscure or random or personal that it wouldn't fit anywhere else.

...create a blog and put its URL in your "homepage"? But that's just me...

IdolEyes787
07-31-2011, 05:38 PM
For people who want to rant about stuff too obscure or random or personal that it wouldn't fit anywhere else.

That's what I've been doing on the forums but there it's called trolling.:unsure:

megabyteme
07-31-2011, 09:36 PM
I am all for the implementation. I think it would be a good way to use our contacts (friends list) in a manner that would help everyone keep in touch.

Cool idea, hopefully we will see it catch on!

Cabalo
07-31-2011, 09:54 PM
I don't think it causes any harm to the board to have it enabled, though I don't know if it would be very popular. But then again, not every section on every board has to be popular, it just depends if it can be an added value.

The blog's layout is kinda cool and simple, the way I like them, though.

a7x
07-31-2011, 10:56 PM
...create a blog and put its URL in your "homepage"? But that's just me...

Or signature. Could replace all those Quote :shifty:

1000possibleclaws
08-01-2011, 01:39 AM
I am all for the implementation. I think it would be a good way to use our contacts (friends list) in a manner that would help everyone keep in touch.

Exactly what I thinking. It would hopefully give 'notifications' whenever a friend posts a new entry, because as of now there is limited purpose in adding to your 'friends'. As for anon's suggestion, that doesn't facilitate user participation. It might add another layer of depth to the site for the regulars, but I don't think it would spark any noticeable changes in activity aka low priority suggestion..

edit: And as an added bonus, Mods can lock any Oleg-like sociopathic rants with the final words of 'go blog about it'.

megabyteme
08-01-2011, 02:26 AM

Exactly what I thinking. It would hopefully give 'notifications' whenever a friend posts a new entry, because as of now there is limited purpose in adding to your 'friends'. As for anon's suggestion, that doesn't facilitate user participation. It might add another layer of depth to the site for the regulars, but I don't think it would spark any noticeable changes in activity aka low priority suggestion..

edit: And as an added bonus, Mods can lock any Oleg-like sociopathic rants with the final words of 'go blog about it'.

With all of the social networking going on elsewhere, it is apparent that users would make use of something like this. It would also give new-ish, or infrequent posters (lurkers) a way to become approachable on subjects that they would be interested in.

As for the rants... that is one spot where I would like to see some discussion as to appropriate rantings. I wouldn't want to see it become an anti-mod, or anti-FST badmouthing spot, but users should have leeway to discuss their positions on trading policies, etc.

Honestly, I don't know how much freedom would/should be allowed in a personal blog section. However, I don't think my uncertainty should be seen as a hurdle, just something to be discussed beforehand.

Again, LOVE this idea, and hope to see it implemented!

Cabalo
08-01-2011, 02:34 AM
The blog's freedom of speech is a no-brainer. As long as it complies with the board's rules, like every other section, it should be fine.

mjmacky
08-01-2011, 02:49 AM
Honestly, I don't know how much freedom would/should be allowed in a personal blog section. However, I don't think my uncertainty should be seen as a hurdle, just something to be discussed beforehand.

Complete and utter freedom, other than breaking board rule #10 (and I guess #6) in order to keep the forum out of trouble. Other than that, I call it useless shit.