PDA

View Full Version : RAR password cracker?

buscuitboy
08-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Lately, I have been getting some RAR files via newsgroups/usenet, but when I try to assemble and/or extract them, I get asked for a password. Can anybody recommend a good freeware password cracker for RAR files?

mjmacky
08-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Forget those, there's been a lot of spamming with passworded files lateley on the newsgroups. Use binsearch.info to find what you're looking for and make sure it isn't pw protected. For all I know, those pw files could be viruses or useless junk... most if not all legitimate posters refrain from using passwords on the rar archives.

The ones posted to the NZB section here shouldn't give you those problems either.

KFlint
08-04-2011, 02:26 PM
You might have to wait until the end of the universe before you crack an encrypted file if it's encrypted with aes-256 and the password is strong.

Pointless anyway as he said.

anon
08-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Sorry if it looks like I'm just repeating what the two people above me said, but when you deal with unexpectedly passworded RARs, 99% of the time deleting them and looking for a different, good copy is the best thing you can do, and that doesn't just apply to newsgroups.

mjmacky
08-05-2011, 04:18 AM
Sorry if it looks like I'm just repeating what the two people above me said

Like I'd have a problem being right three times ;)

anon
08-05-2011, 04:23 AM
I say you shut up and turn the closed captioning off :snooty:

mjmacky
08-05-2011, 04:26 AM
I say you shut up and turn the closed captioning off :snooty:

Are you Oleg's motherbanger?

anon
08-05-2011, 05:24 AM
No, I'm intelligent enough to turn it off myself. :ermm:

I found that part of his post funny, though. Maybe it's the way he narrated it. The way things are now, it could become the next meme.