PDA

View Full Version : Does Usenet Explorer worth the money ?

Stabber
08-05-2011, 11:52 AM
I am thinking of buying usenet eplorer x64 since i can't find anywhere else :naughty:

In your personal experience does it worth it or there are other better usenet clients for 35usd ?

Do you happen to know any where to get a discount or something ?

Cabalo
08-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Weird I also never managed to find it anywhere.
Another one looking for opinions here.

Stabber
08-05-2011, 12:06 PM
I've managed to find an old version 1.9.9.7 registered but it doesn't support ipv6 and it's 32bit

Hypatia
08-05-2011, 01:42 PM
ive been using it for more than a year.

imho it is totally worth the money.

i posted about it here (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/433707-Major-Price-Slash-for-Newsbin-Pro?p=3579530&highlight=usenet+explorer#post3579530).

PS i also remember someone saying that it is not as quick as newsbin in terms of speed.. well, when i had a VPS i did get 40+MB download speed which is more than enough

PPS the trial version is fully functional(including built-in search) and it works for 15 days if im not mistaken
i would say its the best choice among paid newsreaders that include built-in search(money and feature wise)

Stabber
08-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the info hypatia , in my personal experience is a bit slower when downloading the newsbin pro

I get about 400-500 kb/s with newsbin and about 360-390 with usenet explorer , which is not a big difference

The only bad thing is that it need 35usd for each year !! With newsbin pro you pay for lifetime if i'm not mistaken

PS i can even get better speed with torrents than with usenet explorer !

Hypatia
08-05-2011, 07:31 PM
The only bad thing is that it need 35usd for each year !! With newsbin pro you pay for lifetime if i'm not mistaken

newsbin pro:
$30(software+built-in search/year)

UE:
$35 (software+built-in search)/year
if you dont pay the for the next year you can still use UE, no problem. Its just built-in search will be disabled

PS theyve changed their marketing policy

not so long ago you had to pay $60 every year for newsbin built-in search when UE's subscription has been the same $35 for ages...

PPS i dunno why u get these speeds, honestly.
i turned on bypass database storage+optimize , set up other things and im getting always 5.3MB which is max on my home connection. I mentioned VPS i had for a month. i downloaded at 35-40+MB blurays where sabnzbd droped down speed significantly after 50% was downloaded for some reason.

if newsbin pro works for you then just use it=)
you should use what works best in ur case

as for me i dont like what nbpro team has done with autopar+ nbpro eats large ammounts of memory compared to UE(last version) and not very friendly with "slow" HDD when downloading\unpacking at the same time.. but that is my experience

Stabber
08-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Well the only thing i changed so far is the number of tasks but it didn't improve

where do i find these options that you changed?

Hypatia
08-05-2011, 08:00 PM
save-unpack but im not sure it will help + keep-connections alive on(general)

PS my MAIN complain about newsbin pro built-in search compared not only to UE's built-in search but also to FREE web index site is indexing turn-around time

It's about 1 hour! Stuff posted ~ <=1h ago cant be found via newsbin search.. they update their server only every hour or so i guess and that is just plain ridiculous when free web index sites like nzbindex.nl have more frequent update rates(several minutes).. it is totally unacceptable for a paid service i would understand such delay if they had archive scanning feature like mysterbin has but they dont (as all built-in search available out there on the market)

PS about speeds. some screenshots

nbpro
http://img271.imagevenue.com/loc133/th_572913181_nb_122_133lo.jpg (http://img271.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_572913181_nb_122_133lo.jpg)

UE
http://img166.imagevenue.com/loc191/th_573095971_Clipboard02_123_191lo.jpg (http://img166.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=th_573095971_Clipboard02_123_191lo.jpg)

well guess what i dont have 48Mbit at all lol
and UE shows exactly my plan speed

i,m not saying that you have the same but in my case nb shows "incorrect" speed

Stabber
08-05-2011, 08:09 PM
i had no idea about that , and yes it seems that newsbin pro is showing bigger speeds , because the time needed for the download to complete is the same in both newsbin pro and usenet explorer which doesn't make sense since i'm downloading with over 70 kb/s more with newsbin

Thanks for the info , i will use the version i have found over the net until i'm forced to use ipv6 where i will have to buy it ;)

Hypatia
08-05-2011, 08:19 PM
np =)

though id prefer using the last version available. After all its only $35 one time payment(+built-in search active for a year included) there were many improvements made since 1.9.97 it didnt even have "bypass database storage+optimize" options there lol and other useful stuff

PS i dont want you to think i ve been bashing nbpro=) i havent its a good software
im also subscribed to it(though without a built-in search for reasons i described above) but i almost never use it just when they release new beta versions to check things out=)

Stabber
08-05-2011, 08:20 PM
its 35usd for each year ?

i mean does it expire after one year or only the built in search is expired ?

PS btw what's with the icon ? it looks like it is from the stonage :P , from windows 95

the update their program but they don't change the icon , even in small size it looks pixelized

Hypatia
08-05-2011, 10:47 PM
i mean does it expire after one year or only the built in search is expired ?
i believe i wrote all about it in plain english several times lol

You can still use registered software when your subscription($35/year) is expired. Built-in search will be unavailable.That's it.

PS yeah, old-school ftw rofl

Stabber
08-06-2011, 12:40 AM
thanks for the info hypatia , i plan to buy it someday ;)