PDA

View Full Version : Help find missing messages for collections which show as complete at binsearch

lobsterman
08-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Hi, I'm not a complete noob with newsgroups but am a noob when it comes to finding/repairing missing bits of messages. I've done some googling but find mostly information on using PAR files to complete missing parts of messages. My problem is messages within a collection which are missing entirely. Usually I find complete collections on binsearch.info which download and unrar properly. Lately I've found a few supposedly complete collections which in fact are missing messages. The collection is all green (i.e., no missing parts) in binsearch's results and includes an nfo, PAR files, the usual. But when I check my download I see several lines in NewsRover which have red X's over the envelope icon (message says "This message is no longer available on the server, but countless more are.").

Generally I've found success with video files by choosing all with the same numerical prefix from the search results in binsearch (assuming the filename is the same for each, of course). When in doubt I err on including more rather than less in creating an nzb to make sure I don't miss any files. In this case it looks like I've got all the parts of the files in the nzb but a few of the messages are simply missing entirely. Perhaps this is due to the age of the files, but binsearch's search results still show that the collections should be complete (I wonder if the parts available stat is current or if it simply represents the state of the collection when it was originally added???).

I've tried using QuickPar to open the various PAR2 files in the download but it hasn't fixed the problem. Is there anything I can do about this? I've attached a couple of screenshots to show what I'm talking about. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

sandman_1
08-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Age is 1055 days old, so unless your provider supports that many days, you are screwed probably. Also it could be a DMCA take down. How much more parts are needed for QuickPar to do a repair?

Hypatia
08-09-2011, 08:39 PM
give us a link to binsearch... we'll check it out=) its not a crime(same as giving a google link

lobsterman
08-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Age is 1055 days old, so unless your provider supports that many days, you are screwed probably. Also it could be a DMCA take down. How much more parts are needed for QuickPar to do a repair?I think it's the age, you're right (though Thundernews claims 1089 days of retention). Sorry, but I already deleted all the detritus and figured I'd just start over.

give us a link to binsearch... we'll check it out=) its not a crime(same as giving a google linkCheck out number 8 from this search (http://binsearch.info/index.php?q=wild+china+720p&m=&max=25&adv_g=&adv_age=999&adv_sort=date&minsize=1000&maxsize=&font=&postdate=) (it's the neatest way of displaying it).

Also, someone told me about NZBcc, plus I finally bit the bullet and paid for NZBMatrix. They have seemingly the same collection, and it also shows as missing parts when I run their nzb through NZBcc (see below) despite the details of their nzb saying "NZB complete on Usenet." So now I'm thinking it's not necessarily Thundernews and their retention, but stuff is simply missing.

Hypatia
08-10-2011, 12:10 AM
Thundernews is a highwinds reseller.
And highwinds is known for its not very good completion

Though i suppose you checked all 6 episodes as one nzb? Then maybe you could repair some.. i dunno

PS ok ive checked all 6 episodes ( as one pack)

here is the results(astraweb): completion 100%

lobsterman
08-10-2011, 05:36 AM
Thundernews is a highwinds reseller.
And highwinds is known for its not very good completion

Though i suppose you checked all 6 episodes as one nzb? Then maybe you could repair some.. i dunno

PS ok ive checked all 6 episodes ( as once pack)

here is the results(astraweb): completion 100%Thanks. Well, that blows. I checked the whole nzb for the 6 eps (from NZBMatrix) and the individual nzb I created for just episode 1 from binsearch. Problems with both.

It's really the first time I've encountered an issue like this with Thundernews. I took advantage of a deal they had last Black Friday -- 5 bucks a month unlimited for life. I figured what the hell, and so far have been pretty happy. It's really not worth paying for another provider for just one old series, I figure. Maybe I'll contact their support to see if they'd be willing to obtain the missing files, though I'm sure that won't work. I dig HD geography stuff and even the torrents I find don't have any seeders for this. Oh well...

mjmacky
08-10-2011, 08:17 AM
It's really not worth paying for another provider for just one old series, I figure. Maybe I'll contact their support to see if they'd be willing to obtain the missing files

Absolutely do not do this. Firstly, they can't help. Secondly, don't bring direct attention to such content. What you need to do is grab a block account from another provider, say AW or GN based and just buy some gigabytes. You can use it as your fill server, it only has to be from a different provider.

sandman_1
08-10-2011, 02:22 PM
This ^^

However I wouldn't get a block through GN because of DMCA take downs. I see a lot of people use BlockNews and seem to be happy with it.

Hypatia
08-10-2011, 04:37 PM
i second blocknews fill account

lobsterman
08-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks, all. Sounds like I'm headed to BlockNews.

mjmacky
08-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks, all. Sounds like I'm headed to BlockNews.

Umm hold up there

Blocknews is a Highwinds reseller. It won't help to get a block account that accesses the same server farms where they're incomplete (i.e. You'll have the exact same problem). You'll want to get a block account that is reselling from a different provider altogether. Astraweb-based is preferable to Giganews-based.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the resellers, it's hard to keep track of it all. Why is everyone recommending Blocknews as a fill server if he already has Thundernews (both being Highwinds, right)?

sandman_1
08-10-2011, 07:09 PM
AFAIK, they are not a Highwinds reseller. They are owned by UsenetNow I know for sure and according to this site http://www.usenet-providers.net/usenet-provider-usenetnow.php they are a ReadNews reseller.

mjmacky
08-10-2011, 07:44 PM
And that's why I threw in my fact check request, I was working off old information. Blocknews used to resell Highwinds and switched a little over a year ago (or rather at least a year ago)

mesaman
08-11-2011, 04:29 AM
NewsRover isn't mentioned in the thread about Usenet clients that support fill servers.