PDA

View Full Version : Is Newzbin(2) Worth It? (Cost ~$3.50/Month Now)

Beck38
08-12-2011, 06:57 PM
I think we all know the history, but I've had the CC that I used 'hacked' twice the last two times I used it to buy more 'time'

Explanation 'hacked': the card number/info was used, in Britain, to attempt to buy several items, The purchase was stopped by my US card issuer, but each time they have to cancel the card/number, and reissue. Pain in the you know where if you have re-occurring bills charged to the card, which NOW, I don't have (transferred to another piece of plastic).

Yes, I know they have paypal, but the LAST thing I need is for THAT account to be hacked.

So, it comes down to, is Newsbin(2) worth it? NZBMatrix has gotten to be so much better in the breath of nzb's, I usually go to Newzbin to 'double-check' things but more often than not, it simply is not there.

I'd say no, not worth it anymore. Their time is past.

Hypatia
08-12-2011, 07:04 PM
cant say much about nb2.. i used to have an account there since the time nb1 was still alive and kicking but i lost my pass and login lol

as for me, the glorious appearance of mysterbin with its terrific "searching inside the archives" feature had a huge effect on my go-and-find-some-cool-stuff-to-download routine.

nowadays i use mostly mysterbin+UE's built-in search + abhdtv(for blurays) and that's it

Stabber
08-12-2011, 08:55 PM
why pay when you can get something for free ?

i only use nzbs.org , nzbmatrix and UE built in search and it's more than ok

WHiKWiRE
08-12-2011, 09:28 PM
I had it for a while and the novelty of it just wore off after time. Generally I only used it to see what had pre'd recently and when I did want something, it was available here, nzbs.org and on nzbmatrix (I donated in a moment of anger but at least it was for life).

It just felt redundant and truth be told I hate the interface. Also there is so many newsgroup search services that I get the inclination that it's only helpful to those that really don't know there way around usenet. So no. ;)

Beck38
08-14-2011, 02:03 AM
I think, that like nzbmatrix, having humans doing the 'filtering', is far better than automated systems. You should get some more positive (or negative) feedback, like weather or not the name on the nzb is the actual contents.

Even when there is an nfo, I find about half the time that the posters 'information' is simply wrong/not true. This is especially evident when it comes to multi-issue DVD's, where the 'poster' doesn't have a clue as to what they are posting. Really.

Newzbin seems to be basing it's system into more automation, and in doing so, has really dropped off the map.

sandman_1
08-14-2011, 02:15 AM
Personally i dont think it is. I dont pay for shit and find pretty much everything i want.

zot
08-15-2011, 11:35 PM
In the early years Newzbin (version 1) was probably well worth the price because when it came out were no free NZB services, and older usenet indexers like Binnews cost twice the price or more. And Newzbin's annual Christmas half-price sale was an even better reason to stock up for the year. Even with the "low price" - court docs revealed that Newzbin was hauling in a million dollars a year in subscriptions.

One advantage of a index site like Newzbin over a raw search engine was finding files that were posted under 8-digit cryptic/release group filename titles instead of actual titles. Another was that the discussion posts about software releases could be a valuable tool in figuring out which cracked versions worked better.

But for routine things like movies and TV shows, any free raw search engine (especially ones that look inside rar files and therefore screen passworded files) should easily find whatever you need.

There are also a lot of free (member-only) NZB forums, many with special-interest content.

I think that the future of usenet may be the free auto-indexers like Newznab. At least until some saboteur figures out a way to spam them with fakes.

k2bug
08-18-2011, 06:48 PM
I concur many years ago newzbin was dogs bollocks. Putting FST aside there are other do better for almost nothing.

NZBMatrix
Merlins Portal
NZB (dot) org
NZBRUS

U have these and of course FST you will not require the rest of the lame wannbes out there. These sites are very good at there field and wie to join all 4 if you can.