PDA

View Full Version : what's the best nzb client for total N00bs?

Hypatia
08-13-2011, 12:28 PM
tbh i dont have any idea since i dont use them lol
My friend is thinking of joining our army=) but she is not very good with software and such like so she needs something very simple yet efficient, just to get it all started in a click and then in time switching to more complex software with better features

ANy ideas? Binreader perhaps?

PS only freeware

Stabber
08-13-2011, 12:36 PM
newsleecher is pretty easy to understand and use

or binload software ;)

Hypatia
08-13-2011, 12:59 PM
oh well i forgot to mention- freeware. =) besides i would say that for downloading stuff just via nzb newsleeecher is too much

PS its developer gone AWOL again and supersearch filters normal posts(efnet) again lol

Stabber
08-13-2011, 01:03 PM
maybe you should try binload , it's freeware as well as usenet

asari
08-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Alt.Binz has a free version, but it's ancient (2007). For a newer version you have to pay 25 euro (?).

For a new user there are;

* Newsflash Plus (http://www.ensisoft.com/)
* NiouzeFire (http://ideosi.fr/niouzefire_eng.php).
* Unzbin (http://www.unzbin.com/)

Hypatia
08-13-2011, 02:24 PM
unzbin looks nice
thanx
i completely forgot about it

mesaman
08-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Unzbin isn't on the list of usenet clients with fill-server capability, and that would be the main reason to switch to a newsreader with more features.

Rogi
08-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Unzbin sadly hasnt been updated for almost a year now. Id say we can assume its dead.

Stabber
08-13-2011, 07:02 PM
then the next nzb client for noobs is probably newsleecher or altbinz

stay away from newsflash , it took me some time to remove it completely from my pc

mjmacky
08-13-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm using the old free version of Alt.binz as well. I dove into newsgroups about a year ago, with really no idea of what I was doing. Alt.binz was INCREDIBLY easy to get used to. I adapt well to software, so I can't speak to how intuitive it will feel to someone who couldn't answer what a browser is.

WHiKWiRE
08-14-2011, 05:49 AM
Sabnzbd is python written, platform agnostic nzb newsreader with a web interface. The hallmark of the software is that it's fully automated; download, repair, unpack and delete. Also with the wealth of addons (Sickbeard and Sabconnect++) it should serve anyone's needs (unless you intend on browsing the headers). Just awesome :D

pokekevin
08-15-2011, 03:50 AM
i use alts binz and its pretty easy to use

Stabber
08-15-2011, 07:04 PM
alt.binz is noob friendly indeed , i wish it could support ipv6

zot
08-15-2011, 11:07 PM
One method I used to help a usenet 'noob' was to use a *portable* application (basically anything that does not use the Windows registry or *\application\* data to store its configuration settings) and installed it on my own computer, then I filled out all the settings myself (including setting up fill-servers, etc) sharing my own block accounts. Then I archived all files and folders in a zip file and sent it over, telling the recipient to just open the zip file to C:\ and everything would be already set up.

That was a few years ago, when Alt.Binz still had working search engines. (but then after all that, she went back to using Limewire, I hate to say)

Another free --and very easy-- client worth mentioning is HelloNZB. (Sadly, no fill-server support and I think it stores settings in registry, therefore not portable, but otherwise an extremely easy, simple NZB downloader)

regarding Unzbin: One thing I should mention is that I had trouble getting Unzbin to work. It only ran when I went back to an older version of Dot.Net (also, other Dot.Net apps, NZB-O-Matic accepts quite old versions of Dot.Net, but NiouzeFire does not)

Since you also asked about sniffing Binload, I assume you're setting up this person with a Binload account? For a beginner, the Binload application itself might be as easy as it gets. (only 400 days retention, but 100% completion in everything I downloaded) But there is no telling how much longer Binload will be free. (I'm surprised it's lasted this long already)

Unzbin isn't on the list of usenet clients with fill-server capability, and that would be the main reason to switch to a newsreader with more features.

True, Unzbin does not appear to support fill-servers. Neither does Binreader. But both clients are very noob-friendly.

PastTense
08-16-2011, 11:30 PM
I disagree with the recommendation about Sabnzbd. When it doesn't work it is very difficult for a noob to figure out the problem. Look at their forums to see what I mean:
http://forums.sabnzbd.org/

mjmacky
08-16-2011, 11:51 PM
I'd agree that I wouldn't recommend Sabnzbd to a newcomer either. Yes it is very flexible and can integrate with many other pieces of software, but straight up use requires a bit more familiarity from what I remember when I experimented with it.

WHiKWiRE
08-17-2011, 01:13 AM
I don't understand how Sabnzbd is that complicated. All you have to do is load the nzb and it does the rest. :huh:

mjmacky
08-17-2011, 01:49 AM
I don't understand how Sabnzbd is that complicated. All you have to do is load the nzb and it does the rest. :huh:

It's not that complicated, and it's apparently not that simple either. I've given free "training" on Alt.binz before, but gauging the technical abilities of someone unfamiliar with this stuff in general, I wouldn't try to show anyone how to use sabnzbd without payment.

WHiKWiRE
08-17-2011, 11:49 AM
It fathoms me that you would charge someone to teach them how to use Sabnzbd :ermm:

mjmacky
08-17-2011, 03:59 PM
It fathoms me that you would charge someone to teach them how to use Sabnzbd :ermm:

I've been the computer guy for too long, I'm worn out.

Hypatia
08-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Thanx for all the comments and suggestion=)

Since you also asked about sniffing Binload, I assume you're setting up this person with a Binload account?

if im not mistaken i was asking about sniffing in another thread
it was just pure curiosity on my behalf =)