PDA

View Full Version : Windows Windows Networking - IP Forwarding Question

lightshow
08-14-2011, 10:50 PM
I have an IP Forwarding question.

(All workstations are Windows 7)

If I have workstation A connected to workstation B with a crossover ethernet cable:

I make Workstation A - 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0
I make Workstation B - 192.168.3.2 255.255.255.0

I can now make them interact with each other (IE map drives, etc.) with no problem.

Now my question is, if workstation B is also connected to the internet though a second network adapter, will Windows by default enable IP Forwarding (ie: act as a router/use workstation B as a gateway to the internet (a different subnet 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 subnet?)

Or would i be right to assume you have to go into Windows's Network manager and choose to "Bridge" Adapters and this is the action that tells windows to forward traffic/act as a router/gateway?

mjmacky
08-15-2011, 09:30 AM
You didn't explain how the second computer gets internet... do they share the same public IP or are you talking about a separate provider?

Artemis
08-17-2011, 09:40 PM
I have an IP Forwarding question.

(All workstations are Windows 7)

If I have workstation A connected to workstation B with a crossover ethernet cable:

I make Workstation A - 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0
I make Workstation B - 192.168.3.2 255.255.255.0

I can now make them interact with each other (IE map drives, etc.) with no problem.

Now my question is, if workstation B is also connected to the internet though a second network adapter, will Windows by default enable IP Forwarding (ie: act as a router/use workstation B as a gateway to the internet (a different subnet 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 subnet?)

Or would i be right to assume you have to go into Windows's Network manager and choose to "Bridge" Adapters and this is the action that tells windows to forward traffic/act as a router/gateway?

In this situation bridging the adaptors on workstation A is the simplest way to allow IP traffic to be routed to workstation B. Bridging is a relatively straight forward procedure under Windows 7.

ArghMatey
08-17-2011, 10:28 PM
I agree with Artemis. Bridging is definitely the simplest and most reliable way to do it. I hope it works out for ya mate.

Matey

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/Connect-two-computers-using-a-crossover-cable

Read that lightshow....it explains the use of a Crossover cable.

Matey

WHiKWiRE
08-18-2011, 05:15 PM
I used to do this for XBMC and yes bridging a connection is very simple. Though you should really man up and get a router/switch. :P

lightshow
08-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Ok, perfect that's what I was wondering. I didn't realize that it takes the act of "bridging" the two adapters in the Network Connections window to allow that.

It makes sense though since it doesn't allow that bridge by default.

Thanks guys.

Artemis
08-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Ok, perfect that's what I was wondering. I didn't realize that it takes the act of "bridging" the two adapters in the Network Connections window to allow that.

It makes sense though since it doesn't allow that bridge by default.

Thanks guys.

Bridging isn't enabled by default by any operating system because there are several other reasons for having two adpators in a PC system. The most obvious is a server being used as a firewall or to separate two network segments, but there is also teaming, where two adaptors can be used to increase the link speed or provide failover (in certain network configurations).

ZANKAR
08-25-2011, 04:37 PM
i think u should give the default gatway as the first computers ips, and keep the subnet the same if u are sharing the same internet connection, more over u need to give ips in the same range, for example u give the ip of the first computer (main computer) as 192.168.0.1 and that of the second computer as 192.168.0.2 or any thing (Keep the last digit varying if u are sharing the net connection, they should not change). ips can not be same in a lan connection sharing the net, but the default gateway is the ip of the main computer of whose net u want to use the net of, if any problems pm me to draw my attention, will help u if i can and to the exten i know, i am not an expert though, but know some things which i will share.

Artemis
08-27-2011, 08:59 AM
i think u should give the default gatway as the first computers ips, and keep the subnet the same if u are sharing the same internet connection, more over u need to give ips in the same range, for example u give the ip of the first computer (main computer) as 192.168.0.1 and that of the second computer as 192.168.0.2 or any thing (Keep the last digit varying if u are sharing the net connection, they should not change). ips can not be same in a lan connection sharing the net, but the default gateway is the ip of the main computer of whose net u want to use the net of, if any problems pm me to draw my attention, will help u if i can and to the exten i know, i am not an expert though, but know some things which i will share.
Did you even bother to read the previous posts before posting that babble ?