PDA

View Full Version : First In-theater, Big Blockbuster you ever saw...

megabyteme
08-15-2011, 05:18 AM
Being born in 1971, I was exactly the right age to see the whole Star Wars saga (1977). From the start. Every episode from IV on.

As a kid, going to the theater for a movie experience should be one of the top 6-7 choices at that age. The fact that you are aged just right, is icing on the cake.

So, what others did you, or would you have liked to see first-run in the cinema? Especially if it was a movie targeted specifically to your age group.

clocker
08-15-2011, 05:51 AM
The Vikings (1958)- Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis, Ernest Borgnine.

Maybe not the first but the first I remember semi-coherently. Some guy gets eaten by crabs, I think.

Going to the movies used to be a big deal.
Even our pet brontosaurus would get excited.

Artemis
08-15-2011, 06:10 AM
It was still very much a big deal back when I was a youngin' Logan's Run (1976) was the first big feature I went to rather than just the kids movies like Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.
Sadly the Brontosaurus had died out by that stage, but I fondly remember riding our pet Sabretooth Cat around and using the hair from Woolly Mammoths to keep me warm.

IdolEyes787
08-15-2011, 04:12 PM
I can't remember exactly but it had real actors instead of CGI aliens/intelligent apes and an actual plot so it had to have been something pre WWII .

megabyteme
08-15-2011, 06:50 PM
You guys got my reason for posting right off- it used to be a much bigger deal to see a first-run blockbuster in the theater. What I am uncertain of is why. Is it my own age, the easy availability of DVDs within months (or watchable screeners within hours), the reasonable cost of building a home theater, or something that changed with the nature of cinema itself?

PS. I, too, miss the bronto... :cry:

thebazzla
08-15-2011, 06:54 PM
my first film was the guns of navarone (1961)
i say first film i didn't see much of it as soon as the big guns started to go off. my nan said its to loud for her and dragged me out of the theater.

teflon05
08-15-2011, 07:04 PM
You guys got my reason for posting right off- it used to be a much bigger deal to see a first-run blockbuster in the theater. What I am uncertain of is why. Is it my own age, the easy availability of DVDs within months (or watchable screeners within hours), the reasonable cost of building a home theater, or something that changed with the nature of cinema itself?

PS. I, too, miss the bronto... :cry:

I think it's all the reasons you listed. With large screen tv's being reasonably priced, the relatively quick availability of the movies, and the amount of money saved staying home (not to mention the convenience) there's hardly any reason to go to a theater anymore, other than socialization. And yes, the quality of many movies being made today is crap, & that's a factor. Seems that as long as they slap a 3D ad on it though, some people are still willing to shell out for it, even if it is dogshit.
I still really enjoy drive-in theaters though...There's no substitute for them.

As far as first runs go, I was lucky enough to see Star Wars (stood in line for an hour with my dad lol) Jaws, ET, and many others too numerous to list. Those were the days...

Artemis
08-15-2011, 08:45 PM
I remember when you got dressed up to the cinema, it was a big event, and the intermission and finding your seat again. But one major thing for me is that so many Hollywood movies are simply variations on a formula these days, and with the cost of going to the cinema since I live rurally are the gas into town (not cheap at $2.05 per l), paying for parking ,the cost of the tickets ($11-$15 per person) and then the astronomically priced snacks, to watch the same crap packaged differently.
There are still some great movies being produced don't get me wrong, but if I had shelled out the rough end of $70 to watch Knight and Day or The Tourist, I think I would have physically assaulted a staff member at the theater afterwards.
Then also there is the convenience of Home Theater, I have a powerful system and also have a projector for the whole effect plus with a decent wireless N router with QOS I can stream media to the rest of the house and have other PC's connected to TV's as well.

IdolEyes787
08-15-2011, 08:50 PM
I still go to the theater all the time because I like the feel of sticky split drinks on my feet. Plus with any luck I will sit near someone whose seen the movie before and then I can listen to him tell the whole story while I get to rest my eyes.

Frankthetank1
08-15-2011, 10:33 PM
I think it was rocky 3. I remember cause i am half Italian and thought i could beat up everyone after i saw the movie. I think i was 8 or 9.

xripper
08-16-2011, 05:29 PM
It was Titanic. I saw that movie with my uncle and cousin. I also remember that we were 10 mins late :)

megabyteme
08-16-2011, 10:18 PM
It was Titanic. I saw that movie with my uncle and cousin. I also remember that we were 10 mins late :)

That addition there is a great indicator that the event held some meaning for you. That's cool- I really wish the movie-going experience still packed that kind of importance.

On a related note, going out to eat used to be a treat, too. Now, so many places (similarly to the movies) use premade, nothing-special ingredients that has lost much of its appeal as well. Now, the special meals are all made either by myself, or by family or close friends- that is what makes for a memorable event. :happy:

mjmacky
08-16-2011, 11:02 PM
I think I started toning down my movie going experience when I saw anti piracy ads plastered all over the walls of the theatre, taking the place of legitimate movie posters. Like handheld cams are destroying the industry... That and the price jumped up again. My first theatre experiences were drive-in theatres, usually 2 in a row. Even if the movie sucked, it never really ruined the night out.

On my road trip, I went to Alamo Drafthouse in Houston area, that's a fun but expensive way to enjoy the theatre experience as the drive-ins die out.

clocker
08-16-2011, 11:05 PM
On a related note, going out to eat used to be a treat, too. Now, so many places (similarly to the movies) use premade, nothing-special ingredients that has lost much of its appeal as well. Now, the special meals are all made either by myself, or by family or close friends- that is what makes for a memorable event. :happy:
I agree that dining out was more specialer in olden days but somewhat disagree on your reasoning why.

Not only was disposable income lower but Moms were homemakers, it was their job to put dinner on the table.
I can't recall a single working mother during my formative years, it just never seemed to happen.
And remember, there were far fewer convenience foods and no microwaves (not too many dishwashers, either), so cooking dinner was a much more involved task.
Moms weren't ferrying their little budgies hither and yon to soccer practice/violin lessons, she had a damn meal to make.
You wanted to go somewhere, you hopped on your bike and pedaled there, cause chauffeur was definitely NOT part of Moms job description.

Restaurant food has actually increased in quality over the years, IMO...but you certainly have to ignore fast food/chains (like Applebee's, etc.) since they aren't really trying to be "food" places, more "lifestyle/convenience" dispensers.

Hell, going to MacDonalds (in the days when they served real milkshakes) was an event to us as kids and don't get me started on the frosty mugs at A&W drive ins*...

*They were real glass- heavy as fuck- rimed with frost and filled with slushy root beer...fucking heaven.
Cost a nickle for the kid size and a dime for the adults.
Root beer ain't the same in a cardboard cup.

IdolEyes787
08-16-2011, 11:13 PM
..... and don't get me started on the frosty mugs at A&W drive ins*...

*They were real glass- heavy as fuck- rimed with frost and filled with slushy root beer...fucking heaven.
Cost a nickle for the kid size and a dime for the adults.
Root beer ain't the same in a cardboard cup.:O

You must have been in the car two parking spots down from us.
Did the waitresses use rollerskates at your place as well?
I always had the Teenburger and the root-beer( well chilled of course) btw .As you could buy the mugs I still have one lying around someplace I think. I'd upload a picture of it but then who really cares to see it?

It was a drive-in thingy btw -hence the rollerskates and they attached the meal tray to your rolled down window.

clocker
08-16-2011, 11:55 PM
I remember the trays but not the rollerskates.
You must have lived in a wealthy suburb.

iLOVENZB
08-17-2011, 08:43 AM
I think it was rocky 3. I remember cause i am half Italian and thought i could beat up everyone after i saw the movie. I think i was 8 or 9.

Reality is a bitch aint it ;).

After watching Lord of the Rings I wanted to shrink a few inches and walk around corn fields :). Turns out I just stayed on a farm and harvested Maccas :P.