PDA

View Full Version : is ABHDTV worth it?

pokekevin
08-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Hey gents,

quick question, is abHDTV worth the small donation fee to use?

thanks!

-Kevin

mjmacky
08-17-2011, 01:32 AM
I really don't know anything about what the purpose of their forum is. But looking at their ridiculous rule set (25 ways to get permabanned/banned), including this one:

"26. Rules still apply whether you are a paid member or not. Rule violation will be enforced and there will be no refunds of memberships for rule violations."

I'd say you'd be a fool to give them money.

zot
08-17-2011, 02:07 AM
^^ I've wondered what happens when members on for-pay sites like NZBmatrix or Newzbin2 break some arcane rule (written or unwritten) about what is and is not allowed in comments. Do they get banned only from posting in the forum, or also from the NZB section and the entire site as well?

Perhaps the worst part is that on some sites simply discussing the subject is enough to get slapped with a permanent ban.

I don't know about abHDTV, but in my own experience: the bigger the site --> the more likely members are to get banned.

Hypatia
08-17-2011, 06:04 AM
i think its worth it for lazy people =) .especially for old releases that were posted long time ago
as for ruleset...well, just use it to simply search for bluray \ 1080i releases, no one forces you to initiate debates and write something
they have much material of that kind + their internal releases which you wont find even via mysterbin.
+ its convenient.

of course they dont have it all=) especially if you use blind search (based just on size + "bdmv' )no one has but still its impressive.

personally i dont really care about the ruleset. i paid and forgot about it(its just $20). and from time to time i do a search there. bu thats me im kinda lazy.

pokekevin
08-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Do they have good 720p encodes? I mainly stay around 720ps

Hypatia
08-17-2011, 09:46 AM
the site is mostly about blurays and 1080i HDTV

they dont do BRips if thats what you are asking. so if you want BDRips then its better not waste your money- you can find almost everything just using mysterbin.

Beck38
08-17-2011, 08:34 PM
^^ I've wondered what happens when members on for-pay sites like NZBmatrix or Newzbin2 break some arcane rule (written or unwritten) about what is and is not allowed in comments. Do they get banned only from posting in the forum, or also from the NZB section and the entire site as well?

Perhaps the worst part is that on some sites simply discussing the subject is enough to get slapped with a permanent ban.

I don't know about abHDTV, but in my own experience: the bigger the site --> the more likely members are to get banned.

Way, way too many of these 'consumer' oriented sites, particularly in the past few (3+) years, have (as least in the U.S.) been taken over by 'operators' with an extreme agenda. You can make of that what you want, but 99.99% of time that means something to the (left? right?) of the NSDAP.

Several of the professional organizations I've belong to for decades (oh, like the IEEE) has a 'master list' of sites that pretend to be consumer oriented but in fact have deep ties (financial or otherwise) to the very firms/industries they purport to be reporting on or being a 'consumer advocate' for. Kinda like all those commercials one sees on the networks here praising such things as the oil industry (made and paid for by API, the American Petroleum Institute, or lately the AGI/American Gas Institute, pushing 'fracking').

Make a comment on those sites bringing up known problems with the product they are pushing, and ****, you're history. I've actually been a 'member' on some of those sites for years, and they did great work in getting the 'word' out about problems in the industry, and starting about 10 years ago they slowly started to get 'hyper' about any comments otherwise. Except of course comments that sound like right out of the mouth of someone like Rush or Cheney. Those are okay.

But they 'own' the platform. I'd agree, linger around a bit and if it seems like they go off the rails now and again, forget it.

Cubbie
08-19-2011, 08:06 PM
There's a section that spots x264 re-encodes (1080p & 720p).

Hypatia
08-19-2011, 08:50 PM
yeah but it sucks =)

hotshot6473
08-20-2011, 12:38 AM
It has been around forever with a huge archive and spots just about every full BD posted to usenet. It also has a large selection of HDTV captures which can't be found anywhere else. If you want reencodes join a torrent site or just do a manual search on nzbindex.

MultiForce
08-22-2011, 04:57 AM
Just joined since you guys mentioned full BDs and I like what I see so far (not a big fan of forum index though).
I'm usually just checking NZBMatrix etc. a few times each day to see what's "new" and I can see that I've missed a bunch of BDs.