PDA

View Full Version : Linux connectability on Linux w Transmission or Deluge

kallieb
08-20-2011, 07:23 AM
Greetings,

I run Ubuntu 10.04 with the latest versions of Transmission and Deluge. I have an ancient modem which feed my half-assed Wireless HS signal (high speed is loosely defined). I use linksys as my router.

When I used to run windows/uTorrent I had zero problems with connectivity. I opened the ports in my router settings to match the port in my client and voila - green checks.

Since switching to my new ISP and changeover to Linux the simple solution to set the correct port in the router does absolutely no good.

Im not super savvy on Ubuntu. I don't play around with terminus much, relying upon the software centre to get what I want for apps.

is there anyone out there with a linux/deluge or transmission/wireless modem configuration that were were able to get connectable?

It's hugely annoying, and not particularly helpful especially if Im trying (not) to seed from someone in the same pinch as me.

Any thoughts , fixes, ideas, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)

4play
08-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Try switching your firewall off and see if that makes any difference.

I have not used ubuntu in a while so i'm assuming it is

sudo services iptables stop to switch it off

Artemis
08-21-2011, 11:46 AM
To clarify (slightly) the command above, in a terminal session enter: sudo (super user command) services iptables(the firewall) stop (self-explanatory really).
The one thing to remember is this completely disables the firewall rather than simply pinholing it for your bt client.

You can also install a graphical frontend to iptables to make life a bit less painful here. Guarddog is one of the frontends which relatively easy to use and can be installed using your package manager.

Or I could give you a list of the terminal commands to modify IPTables directly ( I can guarantee a low grade headache which even a large bottle of CC will not make a dent on).

kallieb
08-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks :) You offer an intriguing solution which I've not heard to date. I happen to be in a tech lazy sunday mood so I'll have to work on strengthening my resolve to tackle said task with your help. I'll Pm you later in regard to figuring out how/when I can pick your brains on the how-to's of installing guarddog or modifying the IPTables. Or...you can compose a simple text how-to sheet off the top of your head and post here at your leisure. Im not a total dunce.. but clarity of detail would help especially when Im changing code - or whatever the right term is :P

Artemis
08-22-2011, 11:04 AM
There is also the firestarter gui configuration tool this is GTK based so it does not rely on a specific desktop environment. You can install firestarter directly from your package manager or the software manager. Firestarter will give you the ability to monitor the firewall and traffic, switch the firewall on/off and also add exceptions to the firewall rules (which is what you were after in the first place ).