PDA

View Full Version : Splicing Microphone Wire

Infested Cats
11-11-2003, 11:41 PM
Hello, I have one of those Mic-Headset deals, where at the end of the cable there are two prongs (one for mic, the other for headphones).

I wanted to make the mic cable longer... but after I spliced it to another mic wire, it wouldn't work... any ideas?

EDIT: More Info

I took the wire from http://www.tigerdirect.com/images/SKUimages/medium/TC1-12100.jpg, and spliced it onto the mic end of one of thse: http://www.liquidations.com/3r.gif.

Inside both mic cables, were 2 wires: one encased in a white tubing, the other just copper. So, I just connected the white to white, copper to copper, and assumed that it would work. Plugged it in, tested it out, and nothing. I plugged in a normal mic, and it worked, so it's not like my soundcard is acting up.

I didn't solder the wires... just used electrical tape.

callum
11-11-2003, 11:49 PM
Did you re-connect the original prong or was there one on the cable you added?

Infested Cats
11-11-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by callum@11 November 2003 - 19:49
Did you re-connect the original prong or was there one on the cable you added?
There was one on the cable i added.

clocker
11-11-2003, 11:53 PM
Cats,

I don't know about your setup, but as I recall, some audio cable is shielded and the shielding acts as a ground (or something). If that isn't spliced also the cable is defunct.

Maybe?

Infested Cats
11-11-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by clocker@11 November 2003 - 19:53
Cats,

I don't know about your setup, but as I recall, some audio cable is shielded and the shielding acts as a ground (or something). If that isn't spliced also the cable is defunct.

Maybe?
I don't think these wires have shielding cables.

callum
11-12-2003, 12:00 AM
You could try splicing the original prong on to the end of the new cable.
Might make things worse though :lol:

Is there much of a difference in thickness between the two cables?

Infested Cats
11-12-2003, 12:02 AM
The two cables are exactly the same...

and clocker, now that I think about it, i think that the wire-tubing i mentioned is sheilded... but I'm not certain.

clocker
11-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Okay then.

If you were to reconnect the original end plug, does it work again?

Are both those plug ends the same- stereo&stereo or mono&mono?

Livy
11-12-2003, 12:03 AM
i had the same kinda problem making a lighthouse for my little sister, using audio cables for the power, it was just a bad connection due to the wire, it had some kind of plasticaly material interwoven with the copper.
if u have a multimeter, check the connection between the cable end and the prong. and also just double check the connection.

the best way to connect is to split the wire at both ends into a v shape, put the v's together and twist them together, then twist the 2 parts together,#

that will give a strong connection, also make sure the 2 different wires arent touching.

Infested Cats
11-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by clocker@11 November 2003 - 20:03
Okay then.

If you were to reconnect the original end plug, does it work again?

Are both those plug ends the same- stereo&stereo or mono&mono?
the plug ends are exactly the same, and I dont know about connecting the original plug... Haven't tried.

Livy
11-12-2003, 12:08 AM
can i ask why u are just lengthening the mic cable, and not the audio aswell, or do u use your speakers for audio while u got he mic on

clocker
11-12-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Infested Cats@11 November 2003 - 17:05

the plug ends are exactly the same, and I dont know about connecting the original plug... Haven't tried.
Well, if the wires are just taped together, why don't you?
That might tell you if the new plug will work, or maybe just your connection was naff.

Otherwise you may have created a piece of modern art instead of a headset.

Infested Cats
11-12-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Livy@11 November 2003 - 20:08
can i ask why u are just lengthening the mic cable, and not the audio aswell, or do u use your speakers for audio while u got he mic on
I didn't say before because the situation is harder to explain.

In really short terms: It's purely convenience.

Details: My speakers come with a wired remote that controls the volume, and it sits on my desk by my mouse (farthest away from the tower). On this little remote is a headphone jack that if I plug headphones into, switches from the speakers to the headphones. The pronged end of my headphones are not lengthy enough to reach from the headphone jack on my remote to the back of my computer for the mic jack. So, I figured, if I just added some extra length to the mic cable, all would be fine.

Make sense? Rushed through that...

TheFilePirater
11-12-2003, 01:16 AM
why dont you use something like this...
http://www.beststuff.co.uk/images/grado_450cm_headphone_extension.jpg

clocker
11-12-2003, 01:18 AM
Where's the adventure in that? :P

SciManAl
11-12-2003, 02:05 AM

HEHEHEHEHE!!! :lol: :P i was going to point out something like that!!! hehehe, those damn audio cables are made too crazy for me to make that much effort... i will wire my house, but not my headfones... :blink:

Infested Cats
11-12-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by TheFilePirater@11 November 2003 - 21:16
http://www.beststuff.co.uk/images/grado_450cm_headphone_extension.jpg
Whatever that is... I want it. Perhaps point me to a site that sells that in a few foot incriments?

clocker
11-12-2003, 02:22 AM
Try Radio Shack.

Infested Cats
11-12-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by clocker@11 November 2003 - 22:22
Try Radio Shack.
Ugh. I've had bad experiances with Radio Shack.

Anyway - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=03...l/base_id/36510 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031111181907068046107098979658/g=home/search/detail/base_id/36510)

I'll be getting that... and I'll need to get a new headset.

Thanks for everyones help!

SciManAl
11-12-2003, 02:37 AM
well no problem thats what we are all here for... (except ocotpussy :rolleyes: )

TheFilePirater
11-12-2003, 03:56 AM
well sorry!, i just though maybe save u some cash ($5 :D ) if u didnt fawk up ur mic

Evil Gemini
11-12-2003, 04:04 AM
I have stuffed around with many of these types of cables.

On these cables, the wires inside have a sheild around (coated)

What you have to do is get a blade or something and scrape away the coated sheild until you see the copper then join them back up.

They do this so the cables arent so bulky.

cwctv
11-12-2003, 10:55 PM
On these cables, the wires inside have a sheild around (coated)

That's correct once you have gone that the best way to join is tie a knot yep its big but makes contact with these skinny wires.