PDA

View Full Version : Windows What Internet Security Software Are You Using?

esco123
09-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Im using KIS atm, have no problems with it, does the job

Juggernaut1971
09-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Ive used many,many security software and kaspersky always comes out on top for me. There is a 2 month free trial right now if you feel like trying it but imho the best software ever, if i had to choose a second i would go with eset.

anon
09-04-2011, 05:13 PM
I voted for "Other" as it's the closest to "none" there is. Early this year, I decided to try using nothing but common sense and carefulness to avoid infections. And my router acts as a firewall. So far, so good.

NOD32 was good though. v2.7 more than the new ones, as you didn't have to fetch new logins every now and then (the endless trial fix was supposedly even legal, as it modified no files).

Artemis
09-07-2011, 08:21 AM
I voted for "Other" as it's the closest to "none" there is. Early this year, I decided to try using nothing but common sense and carefulness to avoid infections. And my router acts as a firewall. So far, so good.

Your router acts as a hardware firewall using SPI or stateful packet inspection. A hardware firewall is designed to protect the physical and transport layers of the OSI model, and thus verifies if packets are directed to the target system(s) if not, the packets are rejected. This firewall does not extend to application based protection, so the packets themselves are not checked to see if they are being requested by a particular app. This is a common misconception about firewalls, the physical firewall in a router and the software firewall in the OS work in concert and are the first line of defense against erroneous packets.

A
09-07-2011, 08:32 AM

Your router acts as a hardware firewall using SPI or stateful packet inspection. A hardware firewall is designed to protect the physical and transport layers of the OSI model, and thus verifies if packets are directed to the target system(s) if not, the packets are rejected. This firewall does not extend to application based protection, so the packets themselves are not checked to see if they are being requested by a particular app. This is a common misconception about firewalls, the physical firewall in a router and the software firewall in the OS work in concert and are the first line of defense against erroneous packets.
You missed?

As for me I have MSE installed. Small memory footprint, sleek UI, good detection rates ( lot less false positives ), non-intrusive and just works. Moreover, I need at least basic protection when using removable devices etc ...

anon
09-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Your router acts as a hardware firewall using SPI or stateful packet inspection. A hardware firewall is designed to protect the physical and transport layers of the OSI model, and thus verifies if packets are directed to the target system(s) if not, the packets are rejected. This firewall does not extend to application based protection, so the packets themselves are not checked to see if they are being requested by a particular app.

The firewall function in my router can discard DoS attacks, SYN floods, pings of death, etc. That's what I was talking about. Combine it with forwarding only the ports you need and I think it's a pretty secure setup.

Artemis
09-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Your router acts as a hardware firewall using SPI or stateful packet inspection. A hardware firewall is designed to protect the physical and transport layers of the OSI model, and thus verifies if packets are directed to the target system(s) if not, the packets are rejected. This firewall does not extend to application based protection, so the packets themselves are not checked to see if they are being requested by a particular app.

The firewall function in my router can discard DoS attacks, SYN floods, pings of death, etc. That's what I was talking about. Combine it with forwarding only the ports you need and I think it's a pretty secure setup.

It is more a function of your modified browser settings that gives you the protection you enjoy rather than the hardware firewall. Most people do not know how to or would even want to configure their browser (which is where 95% of the attacks come from) to the level yours is tweaked to.
The discards you are talking about are usually reserved for some obnoxious gamer who pisses everyone else off on the server so they DoS him, or other such stupidities, as far as a home situation is concerned at least.
Any decent router will combine both SPI (which covers the flood attacks) and NAT forwarding, but a software firewall verifies the target packet is for an application requesting it on the target system. It is simply another layer of protection for network packets and extends packet verification beyond the physical layers.

fantasy88
09-08-2011, 01:46 AM
NIS is the best . It's very strong and use small ram .

beezy192
09-08-2011, 10:45 AM
I am using AVG at the moment but from past experience, I've found out that Quickheal is the best you can get. ;)

teflon05
09-08-2011, 02:50 PM
I've been testing out Comodo IS Pro for a few weeks now, & so far I like it. You can get a 1 year free trial HERE (http://virukill.blogspot.com/2011/05/free-1-year-trial-comodo-internet.html) (Use the off line installer link)
It uses a bit more memory than Eset, which I normally use. But it's worth it IMO. Especially with the 1 year free trial.

Sporkk
09-08-2011, 03:30 PM
I think avast or avira work well and are free. I would also suggest sandboxie.

anon
09-08-2011, 03:52 PM

And I'd suggest VirtualBox, but I think it's outside the scope of this thread :P

denis05
09-08-2011, 04:10 PM
I use KIS for me is the best security software!

teflon05
09-08-2011, 04:10 PM

And I'd suggest VirtualBox, but I think it's outside the scope of this thread :P

Yeah VirtualBox is good. I use VMware myself though. I run XP on it so I can use a few older programs that don't play well with 7 lol. I also have a few linux distros on there.

snowmaster
09-08-2011, 05:52 PM
microsoft security is the best!

Haristeas
09-08-2011, 07:03 PM
I've been testing out Avast Internet Security for a 10 days now, and so far I like it. Software because it does not interfere with download files and so I'm very glad that I can share favorite content very quickly. I would like to also note the microsoft security essentials. In my opinion this is the best defense of the free, because the treatment of active infection occurs at the top of most tests in July 2011. I often have to deal with already infected laptop and this software is simply amazing. In addition, it is easiest to use and requires no special effort to work. As I expected KIS has the highest ratings, but trust me on word, KIS has long been nothing more than a puppet in the hands of commercial empty-head public relations agents and collectors of money.

Skiz
09-08-2011, 08:38 PM
How is AVG not on the list? :unsure:

Artemis
09-08-2011, 09:05 PM
How is AVG not on the list? :unsure:

It is on the list, it is just lumped in with 'other'.

fantasy88
09-09-2011, 04:16 AM
Sometimes , i feel AVG blocked some websites . When i try at another computer , it works well . Avast free not enough strong , but it's a good choice .