PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Star Trek episode

Artemis
09-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Now me, I'm a hardcore trek fan so I do have many possible candidates. I will accept your favorite episode from the four real series, but if you must choose an episode from Enterprise you will need to sell it hard.
Personally I think 'The Balance of Terror' from Season 1 of the original series is brilliant, it's like Run Silent, Run Deep in space, with pointy eared bad guys!

IdolEyes787
09-07-2011, 01:50 AM
I've seen every episode to the original like 70 times and the only title I know is "The Trouble with Tribbles".:mellow:

I do like the one where Shatner overacts incredibly badly though.I guess that 's my favourite.
Oh sorry I forgot to sell it. Shatner overacts badly.

Artemis
09-07-2011, 07:53 AM
......I do like the one where Shatner overacts incredibly badly though.I guess that 's my favourite.

Probably the campiest bit of overacting was in the last episode of series 2 of the original series 'Assignment Earth' .This episode was supposed to be an introduction/pilot for a new series conceptualised by Gene Roddenberry called Assignment Earth and starring Robert Lansing as Gary Seven along with a very young Terri Garr as his co-star.
The final scene with Robert Lansing where they say that he will probably have many more adventures is so hammy it's monumental, but even then William Shatner beats Scott Bakula hands down as both an Enterprise captain and a believable actor.

thebazzla
09-07-2011, 10:35 AM
mm i thought there was only 3 series . unless you counted those remastered jobbies.

anyways for me it has to be season 3 ep 1 spocks brain. for shear brilliance how someone can remove his brain in a hour stick it into a machine. and then replace it back into spock at the end it was so corny it was brill.

Artemis
09-07-2011, 11:31 AM
mm i thought there was only 3 series . unless you counted those remastered jobbies.

I should have been more clear in my original post I meant the different series i.e. the original series, the next generation, voyager, deep space nine and the other one.

IdolEyes787
09-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Bakula was good in Quantum Leap motherfucker.:angry::angry::angry:

Also I liked "The City on the Edge of Forever" and the episode starring the Riddler. The one with "We the People" was pretty classic too.

Visually though I'm thinking this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtDeHyr5dAY

Artemis
09-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Bakula was good in Quantum Leap motherfucker.:angry::angry::angry:

Also I liked "The City on the Edge of Forever" and the episode starring the Riddler. The one with "We the People" was pretty classic too.

If Enterprise was so good why was it the only one of the franchise that was yanked by the producers before the end of the season chickenfucker :mad3:

I just knew you were going to wheel out Quantum Leap, but personally I'm more of a Sliders kind of a guy. :snooty:

thebazzla
09-07-2011, 12:09 PM

I should have been more clear in my original post I meant the different series i.e. the original series, the next generation, voyager, deep space nine and the other one.i was only jesting after the original star trek finished i watched a few of the next generation episodes then finished watching altogether not even seen any of the other lot. although i believe they have a lady captain in one of the fore mentioned series...

IdolEyes787
09-07-2011, 03:58 PM
... i believe they have a lady captain in one of the fore mentioned series...

Picard?

Actually most of Star Trek after the second year of the first series sucked Ferengi penis.
Ok Data had his moments and Q in small doses was good and Avery brooks cut an imposing figure and it was nice to at least attempt to have a strong female lead with Janeway but story-wise .......
Also Odo and Wesley and and Troy and Neelix and Tuvok and Harry Kim and ........:mellow: .Not mention in Voyager and STTNG half the show ended up being on the fucking holodeck.Ffs you're in space in a science fiction show you don't need to resort to make believe as given the pretext basically anything is possible anyway.:mellow:

thebazzla
09-07-2011, 05:22 PM
well i can remember a few of the next generation characters.
but as to voyager, deep space nine and what Artemis calls the other one i wouldnt have a clue who is what unless i googled it. but then it would be cheating.....

Artemis
09-07-2011, 09:31 PM
... i believe they have a lady captain in one of the fore mentioned series...

Actually most of Star Trek after the second year of the first series sucked Ferengi penis.
Ok Data had his moments and Q in small doses was good......

Well the Ferengi sucked really badly as baddies, they were originally supposed to replace Klingons as the main protagonists in TNG but came off as laughable and hardly a threat. This is also why when the Romulans turned up again in TNG their ships the warbirds were larger than the Enterprise and far more menacing looking.
As for the later episodes sucking Ferengi penis TNG definitely improved in the later series. Worf's head got more menacing, and he went around with a steel mail sash rather than the girly gold one and Picard started yelling alot more (since he seemed physically incapable of fighting anyone), but there were some real gems of episodes like 'Drumhead' and the double episode 'Chain of Command' (no google so no checking, so no series or episode numbers).

Malachy
09-10-2011, 04:20 AM
Menagerie!! Somewhere far, far after every episode of TOS and every episode of TAS, the season 2 opener of TNG. Yes, I am that guy.

The_Martinator
09-16-2011, 10:38 AM
The Best of Both worlds Part 1.

It's an obvious chioce and I hate cliffhangers, but I must admit this one was good.

I never watched TOS (in fact only have watched TNG), so my answer may not be as good.

A little offtopic: which films are your favorite? Everybody say Wrath of Khaan, but I think it's a tie between The Voyage Home and First Contact.

Also ST: DS9 or Babylon 5? Which is better?

IdolEyes787
09-16-2011, 11:45 AM

It's an obvious chioce and I hate cliffhangers, but I must admit this one was good.

I never watched TOS (in fact only have watched TNG), so my answer may not be as good.

A little offtopic: which films are your favorite? Everybody say Wrath of Khaan, but I think it's a tie between The Voyage Home and First Contact.

Having never seen the original Star Trek you can't get the full impact of what happens in Wrath of Khan which is by far the most emotionally resonant film of the series.
On the down side Ricardo Montalban's Khan is as hammy as Shatner's Kirk.
Seriously who can take Melville and make it seem like a sketch from SNL:mellow: "To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!"

As for personal preference I like my Science Fiction with a lot of intelligence and minimum of science so First Contact.

Glod
09-16-2011, 05:56 PM
The Inner Light, by far. This was episode 25 of the 5th season. Picard lived an entire life on an alien world in the span of a few minutes, due to a probe that had hijacked his nervous system. The depth of emotion displayed and its impact on the man were awe-inspiring, and I felt as though I had vicariously lived through him. When the episode ended, it was as though a part of me remained on Kataan, and I will never forget the performance of the cast or the sense of pride and desperation within that small village I could have called home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inner_Light_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

My second favorite episode is Lessons, episode 19 of season 6. Picard falls in love with a fellow officer named Nella, and it is one of the few instances where viewers are able to peer into his heart and watch him experience tenderness and affection. He is normally a cold, distant man, but Nella manages to break through as no one else had, and it was a treat to witness. He also realized that the relationship was doomed as a result of his role as captain, because he couldn't remain objective and place his crew above the love he had for her. He never fully recovered from that loss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lessons_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

Here is a tune from both episodes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6su9jVj_pXY

Artemis
09-17-2011, 12:58 AM

Having never seen the original Star Trek you can't get the full impact of what happens in Wrath of Khan which is by far the most emotionally resonant film of the series.
On the down side Ricardo Montalban's Khan is as hammy as Shatner's Kirk.
Seriously who can take Melville and make it seem like a sketch from SNL:mellow: "To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!"

As for personal preference I like my Science Fiction with a lot of intelligence and minimum of science so First Contact.

In answer to your post The_Martinator STII The Wrath Of Khan is the sequel to an episode from the first series of the original Star Trek called 'space seed'. In this episode Khan and 70 others were found in cryogenic sleep 300 years after their ship had blasted off from earth. Khan tried to take over control of the Enterprise and as a kindness to him rather than put him through a trial Kirk put Khan and his followers on Seti Alpha 5, a planet that could support life. As seen in the movie, another planet in the solar system exploded, making Seti Alpha 5 a barren desert of a planet 6 months after the Enterprise left.
I always felt that the original Star Trek movie was an expansion of another episode from the original series, an episode in season 2 called 'the changeling'.This series had a very similar story about an earth probe that travelled far into space.
As a personal preference from the movies, it has to be Wrath Of Khan, with First Contact coming in a close second. Incidentally has anyone else noticed the odd numbered movies all sucked compared to the even numbered ones ?

tippertime
09-17-2011, 01:43 AM
I like the ep from TNG where they have to find Rikers first ship that has the cloaking/move through mater device...who ever rikers first captain was I thought acted the hell out of the role

Artemis
09-17-2011, 01:58 AM
I like the ep from TNG where they have to find Rikers first ship that has the cloaking/move through mater device...who ever rikers first captain was I thought acted the hell out of the role

The episode was called 'The Pegasus' and it is one of my favorite's too.

tippertime
09-17-2011, 02:56 AM
easily my favorite TNG fan made video (a must watch)...even though those apple juice company vids were the bomb dot com

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/3447320/star-trek-rap

EDIT: found one :P

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/4c15fc3087/star-trek-redubbed

The_Martinator
09-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the clarification, Artemis. However I searched about it soon after Idol posted his post, so you didn't really have to explain any further. I guess I should have posted that earlier. :P

Inner Light is a good one. I also liked I Borg and the ones with Q are always at least decent.

I like even numbers more as it is, that just tells me how right I actually am. :D

dragosd90
09-24-2011, 09:19 PM
the pegasus

Artemis
09-25-2011, 05:04 AM
the pegasus

Well at least you have taste, even if you are the soul of brevity:naughty:

mjmacky
09-25-2011, 08:08 AM
I didn't like the Pegasus episode of Battlestar Galactica as much as everyone else seemed to.

Artemis
09-25-2011, 08:23 AM
I didn't like the Pegasus episode of Battlestar Galactica as much as everyone else seemed to.

Nice segue...... hmmmm a favorite battlestar episode fred, tempting:naughty:

mjmacky
09-25-2011, 09:20 AM

Thanks for not correcting me on the lack of pluralization on episode(s)

Artemis
09-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Thanks for not correcting me on the lack of pluralization on episode(s)

It was tempting, but I took the high road (for a change).

ducray
10-02-2011, 05:53 AM
“Shore Leave” where all your fantasies come true.

zizo22
10-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Mr. Spock is my favorite.

IdolEyes787
10-09-2011, 11:51 PM
He's my favorite episode too. I considered Dax for a while but then thought that's stupid.Sure Dax wins on special effects but Spock clearly had more of a plot.

Artemis
10-10-2011, 03:32 AM
The more I stay around this board, the more I am beginning to suspect that the human race is beginning to calve itself in two, much like the Morlock and the Eloy. They are such happy simple minded folk that hurtle on through on their merry way.

IdolEyes787
10-10-2011, 11:52 AM
This being a Star Trek thread you should have gone with Let That Be Your Last Battle.

Artemis
10-10-2011, 11:22 PM
This being a Star Trek thread you should have gone with Let That Be Your Last Battle.

The two races weren't really dumb as a bag of hammers in that episode, just xenophobic to the point of genocide. If we must classify the influx as a Star Trek character/protagonist they would probably most closely resemble tribbles, because they are multiplying uncontrollably.

daveb29
02-02-2015, 06:16 PM
I agree that Balance of Terror was probably one of the best.. To take a WWII based movie and translate it to this series I thought was well done...

Snee
02-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Enterprise actually had some decent eps. I especially remember liking the Mirror Darkly type stuff, with Hoshi ending up being an empress. And I might have been the only one to think so, but that temporal war they were building up to could have been interesting.

Otherwise, my favourite series was probably DS:9, but I reckon it's really hard to nail down a single episode of any series that really beats the rest.

Janeway is mostly really, really annoying, btw.

Also, this could have been great. (http://screenrant.com/bryan-singer-star-trek-federation-tv-show-schrad-111933/) Never happened though, thanks to the reboot :dabs:

And, this is a really, really old thread.

slyfox250
02-10-2015, 02:39 PM
none of them

IdolEyes787
02-10-2015, 06:08 PM
none of them

So basically your posts that have any thought behind them.:)

Caballero
02-11-2015, 03:15 PM
I like controversy, so I'll go with "Patterns of Force (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patterns_of_Force_%28Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series%29)". :)