PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 to feature drastically reduced boot time, shown off in video

Skiz
09-09-2011, 04:11 PM
"Watch the above video closely, because you might just miss the moment: according to the latest post on MSDN's Building Windows 8 blog, Microsoft's next-gen desktop OS will see a hugely improved boot time thanks to a clever technique. Rather than closing both the user session and the kernel session like in a traditional shutdown, Windows 8 will preserve the kernel session on the disk, thus creating a "hiberfile" that's much smaller than that of the usual Windows hibernation -- see the diagram after the break for a clearer idea. The result? An amazingly fast system bootup -- even with the battery removed to begin with -- that claims to be 30 to 70 percent faster than most systems tested by Microsoft. We're itching to test this feature on an SSD ourselves, but until then, you can head over to MSDN's blog for the full technical explanation."

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/08/delivering-fast-boot-times-in-windows-8.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj39HdtOB5U

Now that's pretty darn fast. :smilie4:

masteri
09-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Part of Windows trying to catch up to Mac.

Lion has been doing this for quiet a few monhts now. The boot time on my macbook air is only a few seconds.

beccamour
09-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Excellent.
I have very high hopes for Windows 8 :D

I have to say, that was actually quicker than my very young 2011 MBP.

Tv Controls you
09-10-2011, 05:52 AM
Wow, were did all these mac fans come from?

I don't really care about boot time, as I have a 3 month uptime atm on windows 7.
6 month uptime on windows xp, thanks to ACP.

Everyone is always raving about ohh, my system boots in 3 seconds, ya your using a mac with a gimmick OS.
I can boot Windows xp performance in 10 seconds and get more 10x more functionality out of it then Lion Os.

Also is this windows 8 stuff looks like their windows phone, which was a major fail, hopefully they don't try going down that route.

Artemis
09-10-2011, 05:58 AM
Also is this windows 8 stuff looks like their windows phone, which was a major fail, hopefully they don't try going down that route.

There will actually be two interfaces for Windows 8 based on the processor, the 'Windows phone look' for ARM based architecture and a classic desktop for PC's and laptops.

Tv Controls you
09-10-2011, 06:01 AM

There will actually be two interfaces for Windows 8 based on the processor, the 'Windows phone look' for ARM based architecture and a classic desktop for PC's and laptops.

Oh ok, I was a bit worried upon seeing the video. Thanks for clarifying.

Skiz
09-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Mac users are attention whores. :eyebrows:

Quarterquack
09-11-2011, 03:23 PM

Wrong. The ARM based architecture interface will be available to everyone. You can always just quit the interface and go to a standard windows-7 style desktop, on x86/64, though.

On-topic: I'm not a fan of making one more .sys file for the kernel. On my laptop hiberfil.sys takes up 3GB of space. That may not matter much to you, but all my files for work projects etc. are in the same size range. I could fit an entire extra project on my laptop if it wasn't for that crap. I realize why it's necessary, I don't realize why there hasn't been a revolution in its application yet.

:idunno:

tesco
09-11-2011, 06:47 PM

Wrong. The ARM based architecture interface will be available to everyone. You can always just quit the interface and go to a standard windows-7 style desktop, on x86/64, though.

On-topic: I'm not a fan of making one more .sys file for the kernel. On my laptop hiberfil.sys takes up 3GB of space. That may not matter much to you, but all my files for work projects etc. are in the same size range. I could fit an entire extra project on my laptop if it wasn't for that crap. I realize why it's necessary, I don't realize why there hasn't been a revolution in its application yet.

:idunno:
Windows 8 will preserve the kernel session on the disk, thus creating a "hiberfile" that's much smaller than that of the usual Windows hibernationI wouldn't expect it to be much bigger than a hundred mb.

Also, you could disable hibernation and use Disk Cleanup to free up that 3gb of space.

Evelyn
09-11-2011, 07:34 PM
wow. that lappy seems to running on ssd card & magnetic memory :)

Mac users are attention whores. :eyebrows:
lol yes

Evil Gemini
09-14-2011, 07:50 AM
This would be good for carpc's

gamercliff
09-23-2011, 05:15 PM
impressive, im thinking about trying out a beta, how stable are those currently?