PDA

View Full Version : BT cyber lawsuit issues change with country?

graywolf
09-11-2011, 05:18 AM
Okay, I gave my exams and all. And now, I'm moving to Northern Ireland for my college.

Back here at home, there was no restriction in downloading or anything. There would be no incoming mail in inbox or some impending lawsuit suing me for downloading something. The security was very lax here. There was never any tension in downloading from any public/private tracker.

But I don't know the scenario of where I am going now. Any ideas? Should I stick to only private trackers or follow some other procedure?

mjmacky
09-11-2011, 05:34 AM
If you have private trackers, why not just stick to using them? The best you could do is shop around for ISPs in the area that you're moving to, then do some research on that ISP. It's not just the atmosphere in the country, ISPs make a difference (torrent throttling, data caps, etc.). If it's a university connection, they could range from completely lax to more active than the MPAA. My university has local agents that go around tracking down users of bittorrent protocol, interrogating everyone in the area about who used a specific LAN jack to download copyrighted material.

anon
09-11-2011, 04:36 PM
An updated IP filter is always a good idea. You might also want to avoid trackers whose userbase can be measured in hundreds of thousands.

CleverMan
09-12-2011, 12:51 PM
My university has local agents that go around tracking down users of bittorrent protocol, interrogating everyone in the area about who used a specific LAN jack to download copyrighted material.
no shit? guess the university got fucked pretty bad cause of those users since they take precautions like that

anon
09-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Mine destroys BT handshake packets and tracker announces at the gateway level, and performs middleman attacks on SSL so that you can't use OpenVPN or HTTPS URLs for blocked sites. Ultrasurf's the only thing that can punch through the firewall.

mjmacky
09-12-2011, 04:50 PM
It's a public university thing. MPA(A) has governments by the balls, therefore can sway them with the argument that their funding (student internet access) directly contributes to copyright infringement to enact and implement aggressive policies. There are also a number of programs running on our network similar to what anon described.