PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Dedicated 100Mbps seedbox?

altierelite
09-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Hey guys - this is my first post to the site, so my apologies if this thread is posted in the wrong place..

I just spent the past 2 hours or so reading the forums in order to figure out which provider I want to go with for my first seedbox. However, I was unable to reach a definitive decision.

My aim is to boost ratio in private trackers, so I'm not necessarily looking for the highest speed unless that's the best way to do so. I'm also trying to keep the price somewhat affordable, preferably in the sub $40 (American Dollars) range.

What would be the best place to go with for my purposes? I've read that dedicated 100Mbps connections are better for general ratio boosting, but others say the speed benefit of a Gigabit connection outweighs that. Yet others say having to share the Gigabit connections cancels out any benefit. Can anyone weigh in on this and perhaps give a few suggestions?

r0bkupf
09-13-2011, 10:13 AM
if i were u i'd get a slot on feral (feralhosting.com). u get exactly the speeds they offer and the servers aren't overcrowded!

absent_today
09-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Feralhosting is capped

PooBar
09-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Try these guys
http://extremeservers.org/personal.html

You can get a 1TB dedi for $US37.00 with Windows Server or Linux so that you have full control of the server

TONiC
09-13-2011, 09:41 PM
FeralHosting, Santrex, WhatBox, EvoBoxes, PulsedMedia, Xirvik, BigSB, Boxslots, and tal0ne.

haydeno
09-13-2011, 10:32 PM
a kimsufi (250gb 2gb dedi 100mbps 3tb until throttled got around 7tb before i was throttled as internal traffic doesn't count) is only about $20 a month if you dont mind dealing with their security stuff

Undressed
09-13-2011, 11:46 PM
I used a feral 100Mb server and found it wasn't fast enough so I switched to a giga which does fine. I find that everywhere is getting hard to seed these days so thank god for trackers like IPT.

jlsq
09-15-2011, 06:14 PM
i used whatbox before.
it has good support,nice speed,especially cheap price .:O

begruntled
10-01-2011, 08:39 PM
FeralHosting, Santrex, WhatBox, EvoBoxes, PulsedMedia, Xirvik, BigSB, Boxslots, and tal0ne.

Suburb answer from Tonic there. Any of these are good providers, and you can shop around for the one you like.

My own (happy) experience is with Feral, who I have been with for over a year now. My goal with running a seedbox was to get a good ratio on a number of private trackers - rather than to be an 'awesome max user' on them - and to avoid the appalling upload speeds and charges we get here in Oz. If your goals are similar I can give some advice.

1. At the cheep end of the market ( < 20 euros/pm) disk space is more important than bandwidth. Being able to keep 200G+ of torrents seeded for a fair time, allowing you to take advantage of free leeches and the 'long tail', is more usefull for ratio than trying to compete with he uber-boxen out there that cheerfully upload at gigabytes a second. Even with a shared 100mb connection I had no problems getting ratios over 5 on half a dozen trackers

2. Double check that a given product from one of these companies is torrent-friendly or not. All of them offer torrent-friendly boxes, but the answer varies depending on which data center they are using for a given product. Also, check if the trackers you want to use are picky about shared IPs : if they are you will need to pay a little more to make sure you get your own IP.

3. In general, I think servers with upload limits are better than 'unlimited' ones : upload does cost money, and anyone who pretends otherwise is going to let you down somewhere. either by making you share bandwidth, or kicking you off, or just going out of business. You just need to take a little care to set appropriate upload limits on torrents from public trackers: I ended up writing a little cron perl script to check my public torrents and throttle them back to 100ks once their rato went over 1. The 2TB upload limit on my feral slot is more than enough for all the HDTV a household of four people can watch :)