PDA

View Full Version : Newsbin internet search

fakejohnson
09-24-2011, 06:39 AM
Is it worth it? I can't find a way to preview it or anything. Not sure how it even works. Web based or client based? Auto indexed?

How does it compare with the multitude of other web-based auto/user indexed options?

Hypatia
09-24-2011, 11:45 AM
mystebin + nbindex\binsearch is da best

ps client based, auto indexed every hour

SuperTech
09-25-2011, 05:53 PM
That all depends...do you have a legit copy of Newsbin? It keys off your registered code, so if not don't even bother.

However, I did register Newsbin, pay for the search service and it works great. It's a one stop solution for downloading stuff: you can search and download in one go. The search is built within client which hands off the request to their server and the results come back into Newsbin seamlessly. Now: you can download the trial of Newsbin and you can use the Internet search for free, however, you can NOT download any of the search results unless you pay for an Internet search subscription.

That's the best way to make a determination: download the trial and test out the search and make your own judgments. For $20 for the program and left time upgrades, you can't go wrong.

zot
09-26-2011, 05:40 AM
It's hard to say if it's "worth it" or not ... for you. As a raw search engine --that does not look inside files-- you might end up getting a lot more fakes/exe's compared to Mysterbin or Binsearch (which peek inside files) or sites that selectively index files and allow user comments. I prefer these methods to the built-in newsreader search engines -- even when I get it for free.

A_T
09-26-2011, 12:19 PM
There is really no need to pay for a client or an indexer. Sabnzbd (all platforms) does everything you need and if it's been posted Binsearch or Nzbindex.nl will find what you want.

Hypatia
09-26-2011, 12:53 PM
A_T

1)nzbindex has a limited retention
2) nzbindex takes down(as it seems) some stuff
3) binsearch has some issues with search
4)all web based indexers dont have something indexed to some extent.
5)with paid service you get support and stability and no copyright mafia can intervene with it

though built-in search services (usenet explorer & newsbin) are not capable atm searching inside archives(like mysterbin) they have a better completion rate.

I found several times stuff via buil-in search that web indexers didnt have

The perfect solution could be built-in search index service that allows to search within archives like mysterbin
Sadly there is none atm

BUT if you happen to get ur hands on some mysterbin-like code you could set up your very own web based indexer that could search within archives. it doesnt take much time and badwidth

I do know that newznab shows the content of archives but it has a shitty raw search, and it doesnt allow actually search through archives like mysterbin

if i knew mysterbin code i would run it myself on a private vps server lol

A_T
09-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Hypatia

Agree that Mysterbin seems to be the best search site.

fakejohnson
09-26-2011, 03:27 PM
I am using the trial version of Newsbin and am about to register it, which is why I asked, since when you go to register it asks you about the search.

I tested the search out to see what results it could get, and I think I am happier with the free sites. I was able to find brand new things faster on the various web index sites, before they even appeared at all in the Newsbin search.

Hypatia
09-26-2011, 05:15 PM
before they even appeared at all in the Newsbin search.
newsbin updates its index every hour
usenet explorer - every ~2 min,for instance

wb index sites -every ~5-15

SuperTech
09-27-2011, 01:11 AM
Well, Newsbin can automatically "fail" password protected downloads, so that should save you some bandwidth. In terms of seeing into archive sets: all you need to download is the first RAR file to get a partial file listing within the set and then make a judgement to continue the download or not.

Hypatia
09-27-2011, 05:55 AM
In terms of seeing into archive sets

if you only knew how much stuff is founded due to "searching within archives" feature.

Are you suggesting that i should download everything named like "&GYgguyfdg" in my way to find what i want? =))

This feature alone pwns any other search service .

OldIronTits
09-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Well, Newsbin can automatically "fail" password protected downloads, so that should save you some bandwidth. In terms of seeing into archive sets: all you need to download is the first RAR file to get a partial file listing within the set and then make a judgement to continue the download or not.

Or just eliminate that initial step by using Mysterbin.

fakejohnson
10-06-2011, 04:31 AM
Ok, I don't get it. I paid for Newsbin a few days ago but did NOT pay for the search. Just now for kicks I tried it, and not only can I find stuff, I can actually download it straight from the search results. Free trial or what?

MultiForce
10-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Ok, I don't get it. I paid for Newsbin a few days ago but did NOT pay for the search. Just now for kicks I tried it, and not only can I find stuff, I can actually download it straight from the search results. Free trial or what?

Cool... I tried it now too (and I'm an OLD customer) and it works.

They give free access now and then to promote it.

B18C5
10-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Search will always work. Adding files to the download list though requires a sub. Everyone gets 10 free file downloads to try it out.

As for looking into the files to determine what's what, work has started on adding that.

Hypatia
10-06-2011, 08:15 PM
As for looking into the files to determine what's what, work has started on adding that.

That's a very good news.

Though, i advise you to "dig deeper" - searching within arhives content like mysterbin allows to do. =)

B18C5
10-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Yeah, you can learn alot from the first chunk, of the first rar in a set of files. Newsbin already looks inside the first archive, when you have it set to filter out encrypted files.

zot
10-07-2011, 05:34 AM
Looking inside the first rar file works perfectly well when there is only one file in the archive, but not when there are multiple files in the archive or rars inside rars (usually, but not always, a clear sign of a fake release)

I'd still like to know how a site like Mysterbin does it, as downloading the full usenet feed of 8TB a day would not come cheap.

Another small complaint I have with Newsbin/Newsleecher/UE built-in searches is that they only offer RAW search, and not "AUTO-INDEXED" search as found in NZBs.org and Newznab. Although I personally prefer raw search (the ONLY way to find rare content) it seems a lot of users prefer auto-indexed search, since it greatly helps in doing the work of weeding out most of the junk, creating content indexes, and greatly simplifies finding popular material. (Auto-index is not so much for geeks, but for the other 90% of internet users)

Since I believe Newznab is open-source and (I assume) could easily be adapted to work within any newsreader -- it's already in Newsflash Plus -- I've got to wonder why an auto-index feature has not been added as a second option to paying customers of Newsbin, Newsleecher, or Usenet Explorer?

Hypatia
10-07-2011, 10:20 AM
i dont particularly like newznab "auto-index".. It leaves out too many releases..

And newznab's raw search is almost non-existent.
Also, for some reason newznab developers haven't implemented search within archives though newznab is perfectly capable of showing almost full file list that is found within a given archive. What stops them from modifying their search so that it scans through these lists? I dunno

Also, im not sure it would be a good idea for a paid legal service to present data uploaded to usenet like newznab does with all those covers, imdb links and such like.

B18C5
10-07-2011, 01:15 PM
RAR's don't have a directory structure. At least from what I've seen. You can't look at one and find the total filename list for the entire set of files. So, you have to traverse the RAR to find all the files. That said, how much do you really need to know? File and set encryption and maybe the first couple filenames. Looking at most of the viral RAR spam. Just knowing the first filename in the RAR is enough to filter. For a valid file set, considering the most chunks are 600ish, you could unrar the first chunk and still figure out perhaps quality and language of the contained files.

heiska
10-07-2011, 04:58 PM
A_T

BUT if you happen to get ur hands on some mysterbin-like code you could set up your very own web based indexer that could search within archives. it doesnt take much time and badwidth

I do know that newznab shows the content of archives but it has a shitty raw search, and it doesnt allow actually search through archives like mysterbin

if i knew mysterbin code i would run it myself on a private vps server lol

Newznab is open source.

B18C5
10-07-2011, 06:13 PM
NewsNab does have a RAR parser so, it could look inside RAR's if it wanted to. I thought it did already.

Hypatia
10-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Newznab is open source.

who cares?

1) newznab has SHITTY RAW search. Practically non-existent
2) newznab for obvious reasons leaves out many releases(im talking about the ones presented in "newznab style" with all these covers, links,description etc
3) AFAIK newznab cant search within archives. It only shows what's inside in its "newznab style" reports. Thus if there is no report( see #1 and 2 ) there is no filelist

I dunno how but the developers of Mysterbin have created a true gem.
Perhaps, they will be willing to share their wisdom through proper channels with someone =))

B18C5

it does look inside archives and shows you a filelist in its "newznab style" report.
But it doesnt allow you to search within archives(filelists) which is strange.

Though perhaps there is a new version out there with these features implementd i dunno
someone should check it out.. but first u gotta pay for it as free edition lacks many features

B18C5
10-07-2011, 10:26 PM
But it doesnt allow you to search within archives(filelists) which is strange.

You have to have ALL of the rar files on hand to find all the filenames. That was my point about "no directory".

RARS are laid out in a format that doesn't lend itself to search

[RAR Header][File Header][File Data][File Header][File Data].....

it spans multiple rars that way. For a rar set that only has one file in it, you could just look at the first chunk and see the filename. You have to download and look in the first chunk though.

Hypatia
10-08-2011, 03:41 AM
You have to have ALL of the rar files on hand to find all the filenames

what if not all but about a dozen?
http://www.mysterbin.com/detail?c=61156151
http://www.mysterbin.com/detail?c=61312445

i m sure they dont download them all

B18C5
10-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Well, most rars sets on usenet don't contain that many files too. A rar file lists the first filename about 20-30 bytes into the RAR so, if it's a commonly posted set with only a few files in it, you might be able to see them all using the first RAR. It depends on how many small files you have in the first rar.

I need to pull apart a "part02.rar" and see if it contains a filename to continue a file started in "Part01.rar". The spec doesn't really say but, they sort of imply that you can figure out if a file chunk is a continuation or not. Still. What you really need is the first chunk of the major file. I'd think if you can even get the first 5K of a major file, you can figure out things like language, subs and quality.